Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: MICHELIN TIRE RECALL  (Read 4853 times)
ragoodsp

Helpful Rating: 35
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: May 5, 2012
Model: 3100
ModelYear: 2012
Slide: Yes
IntColor: cafe
ExtColor: cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2013, 02:29:47 pm »

Get ready for "somewhat" of a run around!   Called my local Michelin dealer and he said in a recall situation it is the repsonsibility of the selling agent (dealer) to honor the recall order.  If he had sold me the tires he would do the entire recall change over completely free of charge.  Since most of us got the Michelins as OEM it really is Fords responsibility to do the replacement.  In my case I sometimes get a little push back that the coach is to big for the local Ford bays, in that case the local Michelin dealer may be able to help but he/she would have to get permission from Michelin to do the work.  In a recall situation the work that is done is paid for  by the manafacturer but evidently at a rate far under the going retail rate. My Ford dealer said I would have to make and appointment and they would pull the tire codes (will not take my word) and order the tires from Michelin.  This work  will be done at no charge to me.  In each case I had to educate the servcie managers to the recall since they had not heard anythingoffcially from either Ford or Michelin. 
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 168
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
Model: 2552
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2013, 03:57:14 pm »

I have called my tire dealer, Rice Tire in Frederick, Md. He had not heard of the recall, so he is calling Michelin for more info and replacement tires.

My understanding is the first eight DOT is for the plant and the last four are for week and year made. So it looks like only one plant had the problem.

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
Shipper

Helpful Rating: 11
________
PurchDate: 04/2013
ModelYear: 2013
IntColor: Maple and Grey
ExtColor: Dusk
________

Cadillac Mountain

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2013, 04:51:17 pm »

Get ready for "somewhat" of a run around! In a recall situation the work that is done is paid for  by the manufacturer but evidently at a rate far under the going retail rate. My Ford dealer said I would have to make and appointment and they would pull the tire codes (will not take my word) and order the tires from Michelin.  This work  will be done at no charge to me.  In each case I had to educate the service managers to the recall since they had not heard anything officially from either Ford or Michelin.

My dealer (hadn't been paid for past work) referred me to Sears. I've been to three dealers; one passed and the other two are checking into the recall. It just came out Friday so we probably got the notice before they did. Per Michelin, the dealers will be paid $20 per tire to mount and balance which may work for them. The replacement tires will be LTX M/S 2(new and improved  Grin) LT 225/75R16. Nobody has given me any "warm and fuzzy" feelings-just hope they will do the job without it costing me anything. I've only got 4200 miles on them.

It's not that I'm insensitive, it's probably that I just don't care. Wink
bowtorc

Helpful Rating: 1
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: 11-26-13
Model: 2910
IntColor: CAFE
ExtColor: CAFE FULL
________

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2013, 06:02:08 pm »

I just returned from discount tire in  Ocala Fl  and no problem except we almost forgot the spare.  I have never dealt with them but I sure will in the future.
jampodd

Helpful Rating: 2
________
PurchDate: 11/2012
IntColor: sunlit
ExtColor: sunlit
________

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2013, 08:00:40 pm »

Thanks for the heads up. I need to go to my storage area and check the tires, it's time to start the rig up anyways. May need to use my snow shovel though, we just had 9 inches of snow with 2-3 more expected tomorrow. I really need to just get away but I hate to leave my granddaughter. decisions, decisions...

Jim Poddany - 2552
Pax

Helpful Rating: 39
________
PurchDate: July
ModelYear: 2014
IntColor: Sunlit / Cherry
ExtColor: Sunlit
________

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2013, 09:36:07 pm »

Escaped this one.  Ordered in July, took delivery in November.  Tires say 1313 (week and year).

- Mike
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 168
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2013, 09:17:57 am »

I just returned from discount tire in  Ocala Fl  and no problem except we almost forgot the spare.  I have never dealt with them but I sure will in the future.

What paper work did you need?
I can not find a warranty card or booklet for Michelin, just what Ford put in about tires. I don't think I ever registered any tires. I have the orignal contract and the bill of sale.

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
ragoodsp

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2013, 01:42:08 pm »

Michelin will just require all of the code numbers on the side wall, there was no registering the tires, they know everything there is to know about every tire from the numbers!
KB9OMH

Helpful Rating: 9
________
PurchDate: 3/26/13
IntColor: Maple
ExtColor: Sterling
________

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2013, 12:19:36 pm »

Thanks for the info, just checked mine and I lucked out, have 009X 3512, so missed out on 2 of 3. You had to say something about the snow, will be taking unit in for oil and filter on Friday, after I dig it out of the 8 inches we got over last weekend and getting another 5 to 8 inches this weekend, hope the weather guesser are wrong this time, leaving Dec. 24 for Indy for Christmas and Mother-In-Laws 94 birthday the 26th. On the 27th heading out to Palm Springs, CA for a 30 day caravan. Looking for good weather from 23 on.

Jim
skipper

Helpful Rating: 14
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: 08/13
IntColor: Tan
ExtColor: Gold
________

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2013, 02:11:21 pm »

Our 2013 also has OO9X all around.

Mark
ragoodsp

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2013, 03:02:58 pm »

Skipper and KB90MH...you did each luck out...you must have the new LTXMS-2's that all of the rest of us will get ultimately,  I guess! That  explains the 009X code for a new series.  Sounds like you have a great trip planned there Skipper!  Be careful out there.
Shipper

Helpful Rating: 11
________
PurchDate: 04/2013
IntColor: Maple and Grey
ExtColor: Dusk
________

Cadillac Mountain

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2013, 12:43:16 pm »

Just had 6 of mine replaced by TCI commercial tire center in Dothan, AL. Large bays and very professional-only took about an hour (three guys). They put the best balanced in front, but they all balanced with small weights. I had already replaced one tire so I had them put it as the spare. All-in-all one of the easiest recalls ever. No hassle, no paperwork and did it to my schedule.
 exactly!

It's not that I'm insensitive, it's probably that I just don't care. Wink
Barry-Sue
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 295
________
PurchDate: 10/17/11
Model: 2551
ExtColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2013, 02:51:12 pm »

Many thanks to Sparky and bobander for the heads up on the Michelin recall.  Just got back from my local Discount Tire Center with a new set of "LTX M/S 2" tires at a cost of $0.00.  Discount Tire was very easy to deal with and they did a great job.

I also have to echo Shippers comment - easiest recall ever!!!!!!!!!!

Barry  
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 02:53:10 pm by Barry-Sue » Logged

Barry and Sue 
Current   2012 2551 w/Slide
Previous 2008 2350 w/Slide
bobander
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 131
________
PurchDate: April 2010
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2010
IntColor: Classic Umber
ExtColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2013, 04:28:16 pm »

My 2010 PC tires are not in the recall, but I will need to replace them in a couple of years.  I am curious if any of you who are now replacing tires are doing anything different with the valve extensions on the rear duallys.

I have had no problems with the braided flexible extensions, but have heard some say that they are prone to leak.  The recommendation is to replace with the one piece long stems that are shaped to extend out for access, no extensions.

One example:
http://www.dickmantires.com/Tire_pressure/Duallyvalve/dually_valves.html

The one piece long stems cost about $150 for the four rear wheels and require some expertise to install.  I am happy with the flexible extensions installed by PC, just wondering if anyone is changing to the solid stems and how it went.

Thanks, Bob A

2010  PC 2551
jampodd

Helpful Rating: 2
________
PurchDate: 11/2012
IntColor: sunlit
ExtColor: sunlit
________

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2013, 10:30:47 am »

Finally went and checked my tires, looks like I'm in the recall. Called my Ford dealer and they don't have a lift to handle the PC so they recommended a nearby RV repair station. Called them and they're checking into what they need to do but sounds like it will be painless.
Bob, I had one of the flex lines leak for me, took it to a tire place and they worked on it and stopped it, they said it is common with the flex extensions. So I am thinking of the solid extensions myself. Only bad thing I've heard is you won't be able to rotate the tires unless you go through the expense of re-mounting the tires each time you rotate. So still thinking about it.

Jim Poddany - 2552
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up
Print

Jump to: