Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Doghouse insulation project (summary)  (Read 277 times)
skipper

Helpful Rating: 17
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: 08/13
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2013
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Tan
ExtColor: Gold
________

View Profile
« on: December 24, 2013, 07:23:21 pm »

Until I had the doghouse out of the vehicle, I didn't realize just how close we sit to a V10 engine that spins at 2600 rpms at 64 mph!  It's right there by our knees!

I now have 27 sq ft of Deamplier material on the floor from the firewall to the back of the chairs, in the passenger door and all in the doghouse.  It is time for a test drive.  I got on the interstate where there is smooth asphalt and got to cruising speed of 62 mph.  There is a noticeable difference in engine noise.  I didn't have a passenger so I couldn't test if conversing was improved.  However, my dB meter is now averaging 54.5 dB, an improvement of about 3 dB.  But what does that mean?  Well, if you remember, a 10 dB difference is perceived as a doubling of the heard noise, so in very layman's terms, the noise has been reduced by about 1/3 if my calculations and understanding of noise is correct.  I called darling wife on my cell phone at 65 mph and I was able to carry on a conversation with her without straining my hearing.  I couldn't do that before. 

Noise from the doghouse is greatly reduced.  However, I still hear a lot of engine noise and it sounds like it mostly coming through the dashboard, dash area, and hood.  I also hear a lot of wind noise around the driver's mirror.  I think I will order the JC Whitney hood insulation kit (Hushmat) and add material to the driver's door.  I also might try to find a mat I can lay on the dash.  I've seen some custom mats for the dash that are made to protect the dash from sun damage.  Maybe something like this could help.

All in all, I'm very happy with the improvement in noise abatement, but I'd like to knock another 2 or 3 dB off and make the PC as quiet as my truck.  To date, I have about $170 invested and 8 hours of time.  I could have saved $12 by not buying the adhesive I didn't need (I thought I would need it to glue the existing doghouse insulation back in).  I'll be glad to answer any questions.  Mark

Mark
Denny & Barb

Helpful Rating: 26
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: 4-08-2012
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2012
Slide: Yes
IntColor: cafe
ExtColor: cafe
________

Medicine Bow, Wy.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2013, 09:59:07 pm »

Skipper, your going into the right direction as little as I know about this.  But yes it does take a 3db change in sound for the human ear to notice a change.

Thanks and keep us updated.

Ever since your mission to lower cab noise, I have been trying to notice where most of the noise is coming from......  Guess I have concluded that a bunch of it is yes, coming from the mirrors.  But I also hear a lot from the tires on different interstate pavements.  Especially up here in the north where they purposely grove the pavement to counter black ice.

Denny

Your Word or Lord is a light to my feet and a lantern to my path...  Ps 119
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: