Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Starting the genset  (Read 577 times)
skipper

Helpful Rating: 19
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: 08/13
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2013
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Tan
ExtColor: Gold
________

View Profile
« on: December 26, 2013, 09:14:17 am »

Every time I start the generator, it takes at least 3 to 5 attempts of 10 second cranks before it starts.  My procedure is to prime until the light goes out, hit the starter for 10 seconds, wait, prime until the light goes out and repeat.  Is it normal to need this much cranking?  Once it starts, everything is fine.

Mark
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 190
________
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: 11/11/11
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2013, 09:22:44 am »

I prime then just hold the start button until it starts, even if it takes longer than the 10 seconds. Sometimes may be twice as long. Priming more than once may flood it. Just my two cents.

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
GeorgeB

Helpful Rating: 5
________
PurchDate: Aug 2012
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2008
IntColor: Slate Gray?
ExtColor: Slate Gray?
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2013, 09:27:33 am »

I agree with Tom.

On our 2008 2551, whenever I have to crank more than once,  I only prime on the first attempt.  I've never gone more than 3 attempts before it would start, even after 2 months of not being used.  But on occasion I have held the starter for up to 15 seconds.

--GeorgeD

Accidental Full-Timers 8/2012-6/2013, Now Just RVers
-={carpe cervizi}=-  ...perfecting the art of procrastination...
<=-- DO NOT LOOK BELOW THIS LINE --=>
You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck
ragoodsp

Helpful Rating: 37
________
PurchDate: May 5, 2012
Model: 3100
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: cafe
ExtColor: cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2013, 09:51:28 am »

i would have some concern cranking the starter more than 30 seconds at a time, might over heat the starter.  i give mine a rest every 20 or so seconds to let heat disperse.   Thanks
Pax

Helpful Rating: 47
________
PurchDate: July
ModelYear: 2014
IntColor: Sunlit / Cherry
ExtColor: Sunlit
________

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2013, 10:16:35 am »

I'm not near our PC at the moment, nor the manual, but I seem to remember that there may be an altitude calibration knob or slider of some sort on the generator?   I would imagine having starting problems occurring if this setting was out of whack with the altitude you are currently at.

- Mike
Sparky
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 41
________
PurchDate: 12/12
Model: 2350 Ford
Slide: No
________

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2013, 11:04:46 am »

I read on another forum,  this guy always runs his coach engine 5 to 10 minutes ( if RV is in storage),, gets a little charge into the batteries etc... I always do this when in storage,,,,,,, prime, then do a 10 count,,, most times it cranks first time,, starts stops about half the time, second crank,,usually fires ups quickly...   only time I have had a problem  it when the tank is not at least 1/2 full

I'm  not sure,  but wonder if the gas feed into the genie is gravity fed plus vacuum from the gen carb... ?? 

When we went to Alaska I did adjust the altitude to 3000,,,,  we live in Texas so I keep it at 1000

sparky
Doneworking

Helpful Rating: 26
________
PurchDate: September 2013
ModelYear: 2013
________

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2013, 08:59:18 am »

Over the years I have come to this conclusion:  cranking those gensets a few times is just the way things work.   Personally, I fire up the coach and let it run a couple of minutes before attempting to start the generator, but only if the gen has not been started in a couple of weeks.   Once it runs a while, it starts very well on a short crank for camping in subsequent days.   

I adjust the altitude mechanism if we are going to gain over a few thousand feet, otherwise I pay no attention to it.  One of our favorite summer campsites is over 10,000 feet and we live at 1052 feet, so you can see why I pay attention to the setting.

Most importantly, in my experience, is running that puppy at least every thirty days for an hour or so under some kind of load.   I see these scary ads all the time for a six or seven year old coach with very low mileage and "only 18 hours on the generator" or something like that.  I just assume a couple of grand worth of troubles for the buyer.
Sparky
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 41
________
PurchDate: 12/12
Slide: No
________

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2013, 09:43:21 am »

Done
    RE, hours on the genie,,  great point,,, when I first started RVing,  thought it was great that the genie only had a few hours,, now I know better,,,,and you are exactly right,,,hours on the genie do not matter,,,, I read a post one time,,, generators are work horses and are engineered to do what they do run and produce electricity,,,  what low hours shows you is usually someone who did not  exercise the unit at all,,,  BTW,, I keep a log on my RV,,, that way when I get ready to sale or trade, someone can look and see what I have done to maintain the unit..
sparky
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: