Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Fresh Water Tank Drain  (Read 624 times)
Pax

Helpful Rating: 44
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: July
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2014
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Sunlit / Cherry
ExtColor: Sunlit
________

View Profile
« on: December 31, 2013, 10:11:53 am »

I recall Tom mentioning that PC's once came with external fresh water tank drain valves mounted somewhere on the side of the rig.  I was thinking of installing something similar, for a few reasons: 1) It seems fairly easy to do, 2) Instead of dumping the tank straight down under the rig I could easily hook up a hose and dump it where I need to, 3) It would provide an easily accessible source of fresh water outside for filling dog bowls, cooking, etc.

The short piece of pipe coming out of the tank and under the rig is Pex piping and with the Sharkbite quick connect fittings available, it seems like a breeze to install.  I was wondering about a couple of things though.  What were the issues people had that prompted Kermit to stop installing this?  If it were installed, where would it be routed to?  The easiest place is unfortunately too close to the exhaust pipe for my taste.  The closest cabinet is the slide-out 'cooler' in the right rear corner.

- Mike
Sparky
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 37
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: 12/12
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2008
Slide: No
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 11:58:06 am »

Mike
   there was a lot messages regarding this issue,,( a whole lot during the summer),, I for one just monitor and estimate how much water I'm going to need to in regards to filling the tank,,,I normally try to keep the tank as low as possible just so I do not carry the weight around.   If you look at some of the pics of the rear tanks not an easy place to access,,, also as far setting up a drain don't forget it's going to have to be lower than the tank to drain,, I drain mind at home with a bucket so as not to waste the water,,,, personally a lot of work for a project,,, if how ever you do do it,,, take pics I could change my mind and do the same haha
sparky
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 169
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 05:20:06 pm »

What used to be installed was a plastic spitter mounted on the passenger side just forward of the sliding drawer. There where two problems, one was kids would open it and let your water drain out. I don't know how often this really happened. The second problem was they would get knocked and break off, again letting your water run out. The other complaint was looks of that thing sticking out the side.

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
lmichael

Helpful Rating: 27
________
PurchDate: May 15, 2012
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Sterling
ExtColor: Sterling
________

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 09:03:28 pm »

Our first pc was a 2007 2700, and it had the fresh water valve on the passenger side outside wall.  The main reason they removed it from the outside was it being knocked off or damaged.  I had to replace mine because of sun damage to the plastic.  I prefer the bottom drain.  You can use the outside shower to fill the dog's dish.  I cut the end off an old garden hose that slides on the drain valve to drain the tank away from the pc.
GoPhoenix

Helpful Rating: 39
________
PurchDate: 12/2010
Model: 3100
ModelYear: 2011
IntColor: Slate grey/Cherry
ExtColor: Full body grey
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 09:33:04 pm »

Uhhsowhere is the fresh water drain valve on the newer PCs?  shrug  Mines on the outside, a 2011 model.

I remember very few of the things that Ive spent money to buy, but I remember all of the places that Ive spent money to see.
Shipper

Helpful Rating: 11
________
PurchDate: 04/2013
ModelYear: 2013
IntColor: Maple and Grey
ExtColor: Dusk
________

Cadillac Mountain

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 09:48:43 pm »

Uhhsowhere is the fresh water drain valve on the newer PCs?  shrug  Mines on the outside, a 2011 model.

My valve is under the passenger bed toward the rear from the water tank. The drain is just a piece of pipe below the body of the RV.

It's not that I'm insensitive, it's probably that I just don't care. Wink
Bruce and Sharon

Helpful Rating: 35
________
PurchDate: 8/16/2013
IntColor: Hickory
ExtColor: Cafe lower body
Location: Summer in Pacific Grove and winter in Palm Desert, California
________

PC on Monterey Bay shore

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 11:19:06 pm »

On our new 2552 the fresh water drain valve is below the passenger side bed.  I lift the rear half of the mattress, locate and pull out a small square (about 6") of wood that has been cut into the bed, then reach down to the valve that is located near the rear end of the tank.
--Bruce

Bruce, Sharon, Sparky dog, & Minou kitty
Pax

Helpful Rating: 44
________
PurchDate: July
IntColor: Sunlit / Cherry
ExtColor: Sunlit
________

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2013, 11:55:38 pm »

Thanks, all!  The reasons make a lot of sense.   I'm going to have to think this thru a bit to ensure it's durable and aesthetically pleasing.  Otherwise, for me it is just too easy a project not to attempt.

- Mike

Oh, and Happy New Year!
GoPhoenix

Helpful Rating: 39
________
PurchDate: 12/2010
ModelYear: 2011
IntColor: Slate grey/Cherry
ExtColor: Full body grey
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2014, 08:47:13 am »

My only beef with the fresh water drain is how long it takes to actually drain the tank. Why is the drain so small??  I hope the new inside access design makes draining the tank a lot quicker.

I remember very few of the things that Ive spent money to buy, but I remember all of the places that Ive spent money to see.
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 167
________
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2014, 12:57:09 pm »

Our first pc was a 2007-2700, and it had the fresh water valve on the passenger side outside wall.
Our 2007-2350 does not have an outside water spicket of either kind.  Not for the fresh water tank and not for shore water.  We have the tank drain tube under the rig as all PCs have.  As mentioned by others, the next best thing we have is the outside shower on the left side of the rig.

Adding anything short of a frost-proof sillcock would not be appropriate considering freezing temperatures.

Here is a typical sillcock for residential use.  The actual seal is far inside the warm house.  I suppose it is possible to utilize one of these for an RV.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 01:00:26 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: