Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Adviice on the Michelin Tires  (Read 502 times)
frecklestweety

Helpful Rating: 2
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: 12/2012
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2010
Slide: Yes
IntColor: BROWN/BEIGE
ExtColor: WHT/TAN
________

View Profile
« on: January 14, 2014, 02:42:09 pm »

Unfortunately my tires are not on the recall list but feel that it is time to replace them. I have 28000 miles on 2010 2551 and they have to be the original tires.  I was told I could get a few more miles on them but if one blows and causes an accident it is worth spending the money for new tires.  It is an investment for safety.  My tires are LT225/75 R16 115/112R LTX M/S and talked to Michelin and said I do not have to go to a certified dealer to purchase the tires.  I can purchase them from Millers RV Service where I get my RV service. Just have to call Michelin first before purchasing the tires and they will give Millers the proper info for the purchase.   There is a car dealer closer but I am sure they will cost more.   
  The question I put out there is how much is the approximate cost that our members who have replaced their tires incurred? I went on the Michelin site and they gave a cost of about 250.00 a tire.  I do not know about the spare and I will have to check on it.
  Also, I have to replace the batteries too. Any suggestions on that too.
 This forum has been so helpful so hope you can help again.

TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 168
________
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: 11/11/11
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 03:14:27 pm »

Seeing that your tires are only five years old, you should be able to get about 50K miles out of them and/or seven years. Is it the guy selling you the tires the one telling you that you need to replace them? Take your motorhome to a different tire dealer and get a second option.

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
BGolden

Helpful Rating: 18
________
PurchDate: January 2008
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2008
Slide: No
IntColor: Maple/Beige
ExtColor: White
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 04:58:00 pm »

Presently I have 38,300 miles on my original tires on a 2008 PC2350. My tires are inspected every 6 months at my local tire dealer. I do plan to replace them at the end of this year, by then we'll be approaching the 50,000 mile mark.

With only 28,000 miles on the tires have them inspected, you may find you'll get another year out them. But, if new tires will make you feel safer then that is the way to go. 

Be safe, enjoy your travels.
Bill G
 Cheers

Bill and Karen Golden
GeorgeB

Helpful Rating: 5
________
PurchDate: Aug 2012
ModelYear: 2008
IntColor: Slate Gray?
ExtColor: Slate Gray?
________

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 07:21:29 pm »

The question I put out there is how much is the approximate cost that our members who have replaced their tires incurred? I went on the Michelin site and they gave a cost of about 250.00 a tire.  I do not know about the spare and I will have to check on it.

I got the two front tires replaced by a local dealer under the Michelin recall, by a local dealer.  I asked the dealer what it would have cost me if I'd paid for them myself, and he said $200 per tire, plus $30 each for balancing, mounting and new valve stems.  He also said that the price would be the same for the rear tires, plus a small charge for the extra valve stems.

This was a local dealer, not regional or national chain; they are Michelin dealers, the tires were not in stock, but they had them the next day.  The local Big O Tire shop would have required me to bring the rig in for them to verify the DOT stamp before ordering the tires, which were out of stock at the servicing Big O warehouse.  FWIW.

--GeorgeB

Accidental Full-Timers 8/2012-6/2013, Now Just RVers
-={carpe cervizi}=-  ...perfecting the art of procrastination...
<=-- DO NOT LOOK BELOW THIS LINE --=>
You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck
frecklestweety

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 10:18:33 am »

Seeing that your tires are only five years old, you should be able to get about 50K miles out of them and/or seven years. Is it the guy selling you the tires the one telling you that you need to replace them? Take your motorhome to a different tire dealer and get a second option.
My RV service man told me that he did not think I needed to get tires. It was of course Camping World.  It just concerns me because of the age of the tires.
frecklestweety

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 10:25:13 am »

Also the mechanic that services my car also told me that he thought the tires look ok. I drove the motorhome around to him to get his opinion as well after camping world gave me that news of starting to dry rot as well as my RV service said they should be ok. Now I will have to make a decision on way or the other and appreciate everyone's input.
frecklestweety

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2014, 11:25:02 am »

Also the mechanic that services my car also told me that he thought the tires look ok. I drove the motorhome around to him to get his opinion as well after camping world gave me that news of starting to dry rot as well as my RV service said they should be ok. Now I will have to make a decision on way or the other and appreciate everyone's input.
After everyone's advice, I think I will get another season out of them.  Even my son  next door, who check them out ,said the same thing.  I will be getting the MH inspected this April before my trip to Kentucky and I can get another opinion.
It is always good in inquire and post on this forum as it is always good advice.  Looking forward to the Spring. thanks to all.
Anne and Bob

Helpful Rating: 9
________
PurchDate: May 21, 2012
ModelYear: 2013
IntColor: cafe
ExtColor: cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2014, 10:30:44 pm »

big O just replaced seven tires for our 2551.  It required two trips as they would not take my word for it that our tires were under the recall.  I guess that is their policy.  I noticed that the tires were $200 each.  They had to mount them and install new valve stems and balance them but Michelin paid the whole cost.  We just had to drive it over twice.

Anne & Bob
2013 PC 2551
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: