Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Wet Dometic Awning  (Read 724 times)
2 Frazzled
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 81
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: May 2013
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2013
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Sunlit & Cherry
ExtColor: Sunlit
________

View Profile WWW
« on: January 21, 2014, 10:10:53 am »

Has anyone had their awning get wet while stowed? We havent had a lot of rain yet but have a recurring problem. First time we stowed the awning dry, it rained, we opened the awning after all was dried out and the awning was dripping wet. The next time it rained while in transit and we wondered if it was getting in at the front somehow. This last time it happened when we stored the PC in an uncovered space over the holidays. It was totally dry when we put it away but was dripping water off the bottom surface when we opened it. I cant imagine this is normal or it would mold and rot when stored. Ours looks kind of puckered. Im hoping it stretches out when the sun hits it.

Has anyone else had this problem? If yes, what should I be looking for when I belly crawl on the roof? Our Dometic Awning was in the recall but it was repaired before we ever picked it up so I dont know what was done to it that may or may not affect the water issue.

John, Holly, Chloe & Snickers (The "nanny' cat)

Plan at least three years on the road - living, laughing, working and playing in the PC.
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 190
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 11:46:44 am »

Both of my PCs awning colleted water like they were camels about to start on a dessert trip. It did not matter if I was sitting or moving. pulling hair out

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
Jim and Beth

Helpful Rating: 8
________
PurchDate: March 2013
Model: 2910
ModelYear: 2013
IntColor: Cafe
ExtColor: Full Body Dusk (2012 colors)
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 01:24:42 pm »

The awning on our 2910 does not get wet when it rains or I wash the PC. It will get a little damp on the edges but no excessive moisture. There have been occasions where we have left a campground in the rain and the awning was wet. By the time we reached home the awning was only damp when I extended it so it could dry.

As for the recall, our awning was repaired at our home in NH by a technician from a nearby Camping World. The repair consisted only of replacing the motor on the front end of the awning. The repair took about 25 minutes and would not have contributed to moisture accumulation.

Wonder if the problem is linked to model type since you both have the same units?
lmichael

Helpful Rating: 28
________
PurchDate: May 15, 2012
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Sterling
ExtColor: Sterling
________

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 08:54:10 pm »

There have been times when I've extended the awning, and it was wet/damp.  Most times it's dry, but I always have a feeling I should extend it to let it dry after rains.
Bruce and Sharon

Helpful Rating: 39
________
PurchDate: 8/16/2013
ModelYear: 2014
IntColor: Hickory
ExtColor: Cafe lower body
Location: Summer in Pacific Grove and winter in Palm Desert, California
________

PC on Monterey Bay shore

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 11:31:18 pm »

The Dometic awning on our 2552 has always been dry when opened after some rain.  But, we haven't been in very heavy rain.  Maybe that accounts for the difference.
Bruce and Sharon

Bruce, Sharon, Sparky dog, & Minou kitty
Pax

Helpful Rating: 47
________
PurchDate: July
ModelYear: 2014
IntColor: Sunlit / Cherry
ExtColor: Sunlit
________

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 10:44:30 am »

Haven't had any real rain since we got our PC, so can't help with this one.

-Mik
GoPhoenix

Helpful Rating: 41
________
PurchDate: 12/2010
Model: 3100
ModelYear: 2011
IntColor: Slate grey/Cherry
ExtColor: Full body grey
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 09:35:20 pm »

We have a 3100, and the electric awning is always soaked after rain.  You have to stay out from under it when opening it drips everywhere.  We previously had a 2900 with a hand-operated box awning which stayed dry.  Previously had a Class A with a covered-wrap awning that stayed dry.  Dont know what it is with this awning, but it stays wet all the time.  But sure love motorized awning.   Smile

I remember very few of the things that Ive spent money to buy, but I remember all of the places that Ive spent money to see.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: