Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Tire and battery advice  (Read 1057 times)
frecklestweety

Helpful Rating: 2
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: 12/2012
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2010
Slide: Yes
IntColor: BROWN/BEIGE
ExtColor: WHT/TAN
________

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2014, 09:35:15 am »

Freckles
   Tires-- I have tires that will be 8years old next summer 15,,,,,, they show some small cracking on the side wall and looked great I have 21000 miles on them,,,, how ever they are coming off this winter as much as I hate it, especially the cost... Tons of info on the forum re tires etc,,,, were going to Alaska in the spring it's a 11k mile trip.. does not matter they would still come off.. manufacturers have lots of info re tire life,,, but for peace of mind and to just to be safe I'm re-tiring hehe..... were going to make a break-in trip prior to our Alaska trip  My research shows that I probably will go with the same Michellins 
I am replacing my Michelin tires this spring. Got a good price from local dealer in Delaware at $210 a tire plus about 25$ for mounting and balancing each. Plus being a member of FMCA I can get a discount with their  Michelin advantage plan which can drop the price a little. I thought they would have cost more than 210 but they are a light duty truck tire and they are standard size.  My tires have a date of 2008 and I'm the second owner. I'd rather be safe than sorry.
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 179
________
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2014, 09:38:06 am »

Thanks gl1500 for the lesson on batteries.

I decided to go with AGM technology batteries for my 12V/parallel to 6V/series conversion.  Due to national availability and price, I plan to purchase Two Of These from Sam's Club.

Do you have an opinion on them?

Thanks!
Ron

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
Sparky
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 41
________
PurchDate: 12/12
ModelYear: 2008
________

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2014, 11:48:12 am »

Barry
    Understand,,,, we have had our unit for two years,,, used,,,, purchased it in Seattle had it delivered to Vegas where we picked it up... were from Houston..... To be honest I could afford a new unit,, but I'm such a cheap *&^*  haha,,, no we got such a good deal and a little research shows how easy with a little patience you can find a GREAT RV...   our first RV was a Roadtrek,,, I had the tires rotated  messed the alignment all up  BTW could not feel a thing when driving... so I pay a lot attention to new tires, alignment etc,,,  when I get the new tires will do an alignment,, not rotation,, but keep a hawk eye on the treads,,,  speaking of doing things,, all my neighbors hate me I'm the only one around here who still mows their own yard.I keep seeing all the crews hanging Xmas lights,, guess it's time to get the ladder out. haha

sparky
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 179
________
PurchDate: June 2007
ModelYear: 2007
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2014, 12:17:24 pm »

speaking of doing things,, all my neighbors hate me I'm the only one around here who still mows their own yard.
sparky
Same here, but out of financial necessity.

I designed our house and with great luck was able to build in a neighborhood where ours is the least of them.  After all, someone with a fitting home had to be at the bottom.  We don't officially fit in with the class of doctors, lawyers, & successful business owners around us, but we fit in every other way, the result of everyone working to assure there are no social barriers.  It is a great place to call home with so many good neighbors who understand who we are and appreciate our determination in keeping a nice home well maintained.  They seem to be entertained at times with our determination in avoiding services.

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
Doneworking

Helpful Rating: 26
________
PurchDate: September 2013
ModelYear: 2013
________

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2014, 07:27:53 pm »

OK.  I admit it:  I got lazy and for the first time in my life am having someone else do my yard work.  Well, not quite.  They do the front and I still do the back.   We have almost an acre and it is heavily landscaped out front with the back being left mostly woods for the critters and privacy it affords us.   I fix most things myself and have  always  done so.   RV wise, I have never taken one in thirty years of rving to a dealer (I don't mean the chassis, I mean the coach stuff) for repair or maintenance.  Part of the hobby for me is doing the RV and everything else myself.  

When we got the 2350 and gave up our Roadtrek a little over a year ago, we decided it was time not to be a slave to the yard.  It gets darn hot in OKC in the summer and we wanted to be able to just load up and go up to the mountains for weeks at a time.   And we did this year.    Seventy degree days at 9000 feet sure feel better to my seventy year old body than 100 degrees here at home.  Finally putting our yard out to someone else's care may be one of the greatest luxuries in my life.   A good friend owns the company that takes care of it.  I still enjoy the back area maintenance but if it is left to its own for a month, it really doesn't create a problem.  

Next:  I am going to learn to call a plumber instead of doing it myself.  I hate it and never have been good at it.  

Ron, the link to the batteries you are buying at Sams is interesting.  I buy all my batteries at Sams, but if you look on down in the link you see something interesting.  The ones you decided to go with are not available at Sams in the South or west of the Mississippi.  I suspect that is either because of limited production at a plant somewhere in the NE quadrant of the country or just transportation cost and a more limited demand product. 

In any event, after adding 200 watts of Renogy panels on the roof this year, next spring I am going with two golf car sixes.  I had them on our Roadtrek and replaced the OEM after six years with two from Sams, but I would really like to use the AGMs.   I could, I am sure buy similar batteries close by.   In any event I look forward to your educational posts and appreciate your PC knowledge.  Please keep us up to date on this project.   After boondocking with the PC dual 12s for a year, I really look forward to a couple of sixes.  Believe me, you will enjoy the difference in capacity. 

Paul
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 07:35:02 pm by Doneworking » Logged
frecklestweety

Helpful Rating: 2
________
PurchDate: 12/2012
ModelYear: 2010
IntColor: BROWN/BEIGE
ExtColor: WHT/TAN
________

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2014, 05:45:03 pm »

Well had 2010 2551 mh winterized and asked my RV service to check on my tires.  As I see it they were mfg. 0808 so they are six yrs old. He said they show very slight dry rot and will pass inspection in the spring.  They have plenty of tread and seem ok but I am thinking that it is time to get new tires.  I know there has been many discussions on this topic and really up to the individual to make the decision on what to do.    So for safety sake do you think it is time to get new and would like to get Michelin's and my rv service said they can get them. Of course my tires were not on the recall as mentioned in other forum discussions.
The next thing is coach batteries and they are the original ones. They are so hard to read the water level and was wondering if they are replaced as to what is a better battery.  My MH will be stored in Pole Barn and I have been told you can leave it plugged in all the time to keep the batteries charged but afraid they could be overcharged.  I keep little nite lites on to use some of the power but not sure what is right.  Any suggestions on the questions??? 
This forum has always been so helpful.
So sorry I missed the reunion. Looking forward to next year. Already in the calendar.
Will be replacing tires in spring. Michelin Dealer in Delaware quote me $210 a tire plus $25  per tire for mounting and balancing. Plus they cooperate with FMCA advantage program.
 Also. what causes acid to build up on the strap that holds the batteries.  It is not on the batteries but on the clip of the strap????  I checked them the other day and a couple chambers needed water and so I filled them with distilled water.  But don't know why the chalky stuff builds up on the strap. Smile
Barry-Sue
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 324
________
PurchDate: 10/17/11
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2014, 06:06:21 pm »

Code:
But don't know why the chalky stuff builds up on the strap

What we do to prevent this is disconnect everything, clean everythiing with baking soda and water, this removes all old corrosion build up.  We then reconnect everything and coat all metal with vaseline.  

There are many commercial products out there for cleaning and protective sprays but we find this has worked the best for us.  We make sure to only fill our battery chambers to not more than 1/4 inch above the plates.

Many times this chalky stuff is a result of the batteries being over charged.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 06:41:25 pm by Barry-Sue » Logged

Barry and Sue 
Current   2012 2551 w/Slide
Previous 2008 2350 w/Slide
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: