Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: TV remodel, DVD replacement and volume issues  (Read 462 times)
BarbRN

Helpful Rating: 11
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: May 25, 2013
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2010
Slide: Yes
IntColor: beige
ExtColor: tan
________

View Profile
« on: July 01, 2016, 08:41:34 pm »

So we had to buy a new DVD player.  Kermit gave us the model number of the Blue Ray units that are now used and we ordered one online. Unfortunately it comes with all the speakers and we didn't need them.  We have the surround sound addition in our 2551.

We've always complained that the volume of the TV is poor and with the A/C running we cannot hear it.
Discovered today when we removed the flat screen (to attach new HDMI connection) all the speakers are behind the padded trim piece at the bottom.  We even found a center speaker behind it.  With the trim piece off, the volume increases by at least 50 percent.  

Now how to let the sound out and make it look decent.  Any ideas?  We have a piece of cherry wood that matches and the padded piece to make a different cover.  We need a vented place to let the sound out, (speaker grill, something) and part of the upholstery needs to be covered up because it's damaged where it attaches.  I'll attach photos of the problem area and the replacement parts.  We need to be creative here.  Hope this helps someone else with sound issues.  

I have no idea how to post the photos on my desktop.  I see an image option but what do I do with it?

« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 09:30:18 pm by BarbRN » Logged
BarbRN

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2016, 09:38:45 pm »

We have this piece of wood in addition to the upholstered padded trim that was stock.
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 222
________
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Green&Gray Cherry
ExtColor: Full Body Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2016, 10:55:05 am »

Hi Barb,

I don't quite understand why you need to hear the speakers from the front TV when you have the 5 speaker + sub-woofer surround sound system.  I know your old Samsung player died.  Are you going to do without one?

Ron & Irene Dittmer, 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
BarbRN

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2016, 01:48:12 pm »

When the air-conditioner is roaring overhead those rear speakers are not very audible
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2016, 04:22:53 pm »

Oh, I understand better now Barb.  You are trying to get as much sound/volume as possible from all possible sources.  Just make sure your TV speakers are also on when your surround sound unit is pumping out sound.  It might be either/or as I recall ours is though not 100% certain of it.  It could be a setting on your TV to allow all speakers to be on at the same time.  Each TV make & model may have it's own abilities or lack there of.

About the exposure of your TV speakers.  I recall our TV speakers are face-down and exposed.  When I installed the TV in 2007, I made sure air could enter from the bottom, get heated up inside, and rise out at the sides near the top.  But our TV sits forward of the vinyl green material as seen in this picture via a wooden block, with minimal clearance to allow the side doors to open.  I also installed a black metal bracket at the base as well as the 4 screws behind the TV to address excessive movement on bumpy roads.

Let me know if you would like to see other detailed pictures of our TV mounting.

Here is an old picture before we had the TV.  Note the distance between the cabinet door and the finish board.  I recall I removed that board to gain even more space for the TV of that era.  Today, TVs are so much thinner.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 04:42:20 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

BarbRN

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2016, 04:45:02 pm »

Ours let's no sound out underneath it. Speakers face down.  So did you move the TV out more so it would be exposed at the bottom ?
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2016, 06:10:46 pm »

Ours let's no sound out underneath it. Speakers face down.  So did you move the TV out more so it would be exposed at the bottom ?
Because I installed our TV afterward, the lower green pad is near flush with the mounting surface, and not much of a recess was created after removing the 1/4" thick finished board.  You can see it in my last picture before I started the project.  So the bottom of our TV is completely exposed.  I will have to take a picture for you, of the TV mounted.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 06:13:49 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2016, 12:04:10 pm »

Hi Barb,

Here is a picture I just took of our front TV from below.  You can see the black bracket I added in the middle, holding the bottom of the TV to reduce TV movement.  To further reduce the rattles from the TV, I opened it up and added stick-on felt pads in strategic places where internal metal shielding clangs.  The TV no longer rattles when driving.

Because our 2007 TV has the older back-lit technology, I was a little concerned about trapped heat of which I addressed by adding a pair of computer fans behind the TV to circulate air better.  I turn them on with their own switch and reduced their speed with a POT to eliminate the fan wizzing sound.  You can see the bright raw wood holes for the fans mounted behind the board.

Today with cool-running LED technology, I would imagine the fans would not be needed.  LED TVs will also be much easier on the house batteries when running off the inverter.  I look forward for our TV breaking down to give me a good excuse to switch to edge-lit LED technology to reduce battery power.  It will also not stick out as far forward being so much thinner.

You don't see the speakers, but the sound does aim downward, if there was sound to hear.  Our TV speakers don't work when the surround sound is on.  Since we exclusively watch DVDs using the head unit, we never hear sound from below the TV.  But the TV is positioned to do so.

If you have any questions, just ask.
Ron Dittmer
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 12:27:30 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

BarbRN

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2016, 02:13:54 pm »

As always you think of everything. Nice job.
BarbRN

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2016, 09:43:51 pm »

Here's our final remedy and exposure of the TV and center speaker. 
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________