Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Water in outside rear compartment  (Read 566 times)
gl1500

Helpful Rating: 45
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: May. 2014
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2551/2014
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Hickory
ExtColor: Cafe'
________

View Profile
« on: March 10, 2014, 01:21:45 pm »

My first encounter with water was in our 2552 where I eventually had to replace the entire door and frame provided and shipped to me by Kermit.  I now have a 2014 2350 we just took delivery of a couple of weeks ago and I find after a rain, water in this compartment.  I am trying to isolate where it comes from as there is no water on the walls or the spare tire housing.  It is obvious it has been wet before we took delivery as the mold and mildew on the caulking around the bottom rear most area has been there for awhile.  Just curious if I am the only one who has this problem.
     I have not contacted the Factory yet, but will as soon as I can locate the intrusion area.
     Bob
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 177
________
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 04:15:18 pm »

You are the first person I ever heard of who went from a 2552 to a 2350, actually anything larger down to a 2350.  I am curious as to why the change and what chassis you had chosen, E350, E450, or Sprinter.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 04:17:43 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
lmichael

Helpful Rating: 28
________
PurchDate: May 15, 2012
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Sterling
ExtColor: Sterling
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 04:31:58 pm »

Bob, I have owned 3 PCs--2007 2700, 2010 2350 & 2012 2552, and all 3 have had small amounts of water in the rear compartment from time to time (usually after washing them).  All 3 had small drain holes in the compartment floor, so I would imagine the condition is not unusual.  A large amount of water would concern me, though.
2 Frazzled
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 81
________
PurchDate: May 2013
ModelYear: 2013
IntColor: Sunlit & Cherry
ExtColor: Sunlit
________

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 09:20:35 am »

Bob, we had our fabric pet pen in the rear bin and when we pulled it out recently it was wet and mildewed. We didn't see anywhere things were leaking and wondered if it came from the hoses either draining a bit more while we bounced along or possibly moisture on the outside of both hoses and electric cables. We wipe them down before stowing but even a little water can add up to a puddle if you have enough items draining in there. We plan to clear out the rear bin to see if water is gathering even when it is empty. This test phase has to wait until we are back down in warm weather in a few weeks. If we find a leak or find there is no leak and it is just drainage, we will post it here.

John, Holly, Chloe & Snickers (The "nanny' cat)

Plan at least three years on the road - living, laughing, working and playing in the PC.
GoPhoenix

Helpful Rating: 40
________
PurchDate: 12/2010
Model: 3100
ModelYear: 2011
IntColor: Slate grey/Cherry
ExtColor: Full body grey
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 09:44:11 am »

A tip about storing a hose.  I just connect the two ends of the hose so theres no drainage.  Then rinse well before using again.

I remember very few of the things that Ive spent money to buy, but I remember all of the places that Ive spent money to see.
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2014, 10:05:09 am »

A tip about storing a hose.  I just connect the two ends of the hose so theres no drainage.  Then rinse well before using again.
ThumbsUp   That is my practice too.

2 Frazzled
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 81
________
PurchDate: May 2013
ModelYear: 2013
IntColor: Sunlit & Cherry
ExtColor: Sunlit
________

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2014, 03:29:00 pm »

Good tip on the hoses. Thank you! We'll give that a go. That and the wipe down should keep most of the moisture out of that bin. Just a side comment - we have our outside weather station sensor tucked up in the right outside corner of the back bin and the other day it read 105 degrees in there when the sun was full on the back end. It was about 65 outside. We know the sensors are not dead on accurate but probably get within 5 or 10 degrees and it was baking in that bin. John said "oh, I don't believe that" and opened the bin... then said "well, maybe - it's REALLY hot in there".

John, Holly, Chloe & Snickers (The "nanny' cat)

Plan at least three years on the road - living, laughing, working and playing in the PC.
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 183
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2014, 05:26:23 pm »

Are you sure Phoenix didn't design the back to get that hot in order to dry it out.  Grin

My theory is that the piano hing on the out side is allowing the water to come in the back.

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2014, 05:31:08 pm »

I connect my water hose to itself and do not experience any notable amount of water inside that compartment.  Keep in mind that I store our rig indoors with limited exposure to the elements.  Still no water getting in on trips.

gl1500

Helpful Rating: 45
________
PurchDate: May. 2014
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2551/2014
IntColor: Hickory
ExtColor: Cafe'
________

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2014, 02:08:05 pm »

I will try again to answer some of the questions asked in regard to my original "water in outside compt.".  Last night I wrote a reply and added pictures but when I tried to post it, it was too large and essentially disappeared.
     We started with a 2350 with no slide and an air mattress.  Corner bed was unsat, probably OK if you were not confined with two walls.  We were going to a 2551 with a third Captains chair behind the passenger seat like on our 2350.  Kermit said not enough room for the third chair, but we can extend the chassis by one foot and have room for the chair.  Thereby the evolution of the 2552.  They asked my wife if she would like a slide out pantry by the refrig because the extra foot of chassis would allow the room.  Naturally she said yes.  We thoroughly loved the 2552 until we took two long trips.  Averaging 5.3 MPG doesn't cut it and costing $2000 each trip in fuel to visit family several times a year, is cost prohibitive.  Ford said nothing was wrong with the engine, although it should be getting better mileage.  
     We are back to a 2350 with slide and the electric couch which will make for a better sleeping arrangement.  We rarely travel and camp anymore and need the accommodations when visiting family.  From everything I have read most are getting 10 to 12 MPG and I can live with that.
     Now the water.  The 2552 had a severe water intrusion into the rear outside compt.  After putting a movie camera with a light inside, spraying water on the outside, it was discovered water was coming in at the bottom of the door.  What I found was the material the door was made of had been cut too short and did not fill the frame.  Water came in, filled the frame channel and overflowed into the compt.  After sending pictures, Kermit had a complete new door with mounting frame painted and sent to me.  I removed the old frame and door, sealed and riveted the new one in place.  No more leaks.
     The water leakage in the 2350 is coming from around the two latches.  I put a couple of beads of silicone on the compt. floor to isolate where the water could be coming from.  That location had to be the latches.  I put red food coloring around the latches, lightly sprayed water on the door and waited, opened the door and here came the red dyed water.  When it dries out, I will loosen the latches and then silicone seal the latch to door area.
     This is a new coach with no hoses in there at this time.  I also drain my hoses and connect them end to end when traveling.
     For information, one of my electric reclining seats did not work.  Called Kermit and he said to check wiring behind the switch.  I pulled the switch and found a plug that plugs into the switch had pulled out.  He said they have been having some problems with this.  So, If anybody has a problem with that system, that is an easy troubleshooting repair.
     We also installed and stapled  a thin indoor/outdoor carpet over the chipboard on the bed base to eliminate splinters and tearing of material on the mattress.  
     I also cut a 10X10 hole in the chipboard around the water pump location, lined the bottom of the hole with 1X2 and now the piece cut out rests on that frame. This gives ready access for visual checking for water leaks and maintenance if needed.  The access PC provided through the side outside location is way too far from the pump and tank.  
     I hope this  is not too long and provides answers to questions asked.
     I also found a hairline crack in one corner of the shower floor pan.  Had to look close to see it.  Sealed with RTV.  Do not want water under that pan.
     Bob

« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 01:00:33 pm by gl1500 » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: