Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: WALT DISNEY WORLD, FLORIDA  (Read 1134 times)
Sparky
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 41
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: 12/12
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2008
Slide: No
________

View Profile
« on: March 15, 2014, 10:21:13 am »

Anyone had any experience.advice,,, want to go down to Disney World, stay at RV park and be able to bus over to the park.  I know you can RV at Camp Wilderness (very expensive) any other suggestions.?   Thanks

Sparky
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 190
________
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: 11/11/11
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2012
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2014, 11:00:31 am »

I don't know about bussing to WDW. There are a lot of campgrounds around there. May be you should think about renting a car from the camp ground or near by. You will have to pay to park also. By the time you do that Ft. Wilderness which includes transportation might not cost that much more.

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
Pax

Helpful Rating: 47
________
PurchDate: July
ModelYear: 2014
IntColor: Sunlit / Cherry
ExtColor: Sunlit
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2014, 02:01:54 pm »

I know that Fort Summit KOA in Davenport (SW Kissimmee) has shuttles to the park...or at least did last year.  Friends stayed there for a week in a TT and enjoyed it.

- Mike
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 179
________
PurchDate: June 2007
ModelYear: 2007
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 09:20:01 am »

Years ago as a young family, we learned it was best to drive the motor home directly to the various Disney World theme parks to have a place close by to rest & for a meal, snack,  or treat.  We would arrive early for a better parking spot.  An easy mid-day break (and a nap) meant a lot with the kids, and I'd think would be the same now in our later years.

To us Fort Wilderness was disappointing for the money we paid.  It took numerous transportation venues to get to the various theme parks.  First a camp ground shuttle to wait in line for a boat.  Then once across the lake, get in another line for the mono-rail or train.  By the time we got inside any park, the family was already tired out.  If we planned on going only to the theme park where the boat ports (I think it was the Magic Kingdom), it wouldn't have been as big an issue.

The first time vacationing there, we camped in Fort Wilderness.  Twice there-after we camped in a private RV park in Kissimmee.  From Kissimmee it was fast driving the motor home around to all the theme park RV parking lots with no traffic at the right time of day.  Unlike Disney World, there was affordable shopping, restaurants, treats, and entertainment in Kissimmee.  If I recall correctly, at the time parking was included in the 5 day passes we would buy.

I admit it has been many years since we were there last.  Maybe it is different these days offering multiple means of getting around, or improved efficiency.  We've been talking recently of going back since our last visit there in 1993.  If we do, we'll be staying in Kissimmee again.  We've always had to watch our spending in all we do of which that too is influential.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 10:09:36 am by ron.dittmer » Logged

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
gradygal
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 92
________
PurchDate: March 2012
Model: 2910
ModelYear: 2013
IntColor: cherry
ExtColor: slate gray full body paint
________

our 3rd PC--Custom 2910

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2014, 10:45:56 am »

For us, Fort Wilderness is the way to go. Yes, it is expensive as are the parks but you are right there. You can take the boat to the Magic Kingdom, come back for lunch then head out again. The buses run frequently right from the campground. We have been there 3 times in the last 4 years and thoroughly enjoy it.

Judi and George

Judi and George Nicholson
Punta Gorda FL
Pax

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2014, 11:30:17 am »

I know it probably depends on the time of year, but how far in advance would one need to reserve at Camp Wilderness?
jampodd

Helpful Rating: 2
________
PurchDate: 11/2012
IntColor: sunlit
ExtColor: sunlit
________

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2014, 08:37:49 pm »

I've only been there once and it was quite a while ago but we stayed at Fort Wilderness and loved it. We were able to go back in the middle of the day so the kids could rest or swim and then hit the parks again at night. The break was a real benefit. As soon as my granddaughter is old enough, grandpa is planning on spoiling her with a trip. Can't wait.
As far as how much in advance you need to make reservations, I'm not completely sure but it might be 9-12 months advance is needed if not more.

Jim

Jim Poddany - 2552
RheaNL

Helpful Rating: 11
________
PurchDate: October 4, 2012
Model: 2100
IntColor: Dusk
ExtColor: Dusk lower
________

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 09:34:39 pm »

Was just at DW in Feb, but stayed at a hotel. Have been there dozens of times starting with the year they opened (1971). Have camped at Ft. Wilderness, done hotels on property and stayed off property. If you are spending more than one day at the parks, stay on property. As previous post said, you have the option to return to your "lodging" to eat, rest up, and enjoy the amenities of your lodging, which are plentiful at Ft. Wilderness. Lead time to book varies greatly depending on time of year. However, they are always having cancellations and early departures so, if booked full, keep checking. As to expensive groceries as mentioned in a previous post, stock up before you go. Living in the magic bubble is the best way to go. Disney also has a new program you can only be a part of if you stay on property--the My Magic+.  A little wrist band (like a watch) that has your park pass, FastPass reservations, room key(when applicable), meal reservations, etc. We loved it!
Sparky
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2014, 10:51:55 am »

Update- Just returned from WDW. Taking everyone's helpful advice, we decided to stay at Ft Wilderness. Note, I called one or two RV parks, they did not offer transport.  We were not disappointed.  Arrived Saturday, had reservations, made two weeks earlier.  Place was packed. Tons of kids and families.  We were about 1 mile from bus stop to pick up buses to the resorts, about one mile from boat stop to ride boat over to Magic Kingdom.  They have internal shuttle bus shuttle to pick you up at the campgrounds to take you to these two stops. We were about 200 yards from the shuttle bus. How ever we had our bicycles and used them for transport to these stops. It was great and they had sidewalks to bike on. Additionally they rent golf carts (expensive) daily if you want for transport. Matter of fact there were carts all over the place Sat.  Sunday we got up went to one of the parks came back around 230pm,,, about 50% of the people had left. Mainly the families with kids.. I guess they get a lot of week-enders during the school year.  Camp sites are great a little tight, especially if your towing, but they have spots to unhitch your car, before going to your spot,,, did not see any pull throughs....... sites are very clean, full hook-ups, cable,,  no wifi,, you can go get a set up to hook up to your cable to get wifi which we did.... sites are very shaded.  They have separate showers and laundry room, very clean.   Yes it is expensive,, we paid 82.00, but you get the advantage of the shuttles.. also they have all kinds of entertainment for the kids,,, super large swimming pool,, great place to take kids,, make sure you have some bikes,, some people towed in their own golf carts. I would guess during spring break, Christmas, summer  very very crowded. Reservations a must.  If you go like we did, should be no problem with getting a reservation late,,, bottom line great park a little expensive but worth it,,, especially if you want to take some kids... you could also take a tent with you lots of room to park you rig and set up a tent for the kids...
Pax

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2014, 11:37:22 pm »

Great info, Sparky!  Thanks.  No wi-fi?  That's strange.  What kind of thing do they have that you hook up to cable to get wi-fi?

- Mike
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 09:38:26 am by Pax » Logged
Sparky
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2014, 09:55:01 am »

Your welcome re the report,,, we had a great time.... WIFI- some type of small cable box,, it worked off the cable some how,, we used a splitter(provided) so that we could watch TV also.... hook up was inside RV next to the plug for the tv/cable ,,, was not to hard to set up,,, need a lap top also...  we had to go to the Meadow (by the swimming pool) to get the unit,, no cost just sign and return... once hooked up worked very well...

sparky
randallandchris

Helpful Rating: 5
________
OwnPC: No
Model: None
________

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2014, 07:51:42 pm »

$82 is steep, but you'd be surprised how many people stay for weeks and weeks.  Couple years ago in early Dec. met some staying all winter, albeit they were in a Newell.  Many arrive after Thanksgiving and put up a yard full of decorations till after Christmas.
Kyle_Phoenix_Cruiser

Helpful Rating: 3
________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2014, 02:23:05 pm »

Heart Shower

I work for Phoenix Cruiser now, but when I was in college, I spent a few semesters working at Walt Disney World!
One of my posts was the FW Campground - I was on lake patrol & water rescue... Pretty much unaffiliated with the campground operations though.

I go to Disney pretty much every year and will stay at the campground to give an updated review (will post here).

Check out attendance data just released from my friends at Theme Park Review:
http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=68130

Excited to see the 7 Dwarfs Mine Ride in Fantasyland  Giddy

Kyle Herschberger
Business Manager - Phoenix USA
kyle@phoenixcruiser.com
Pax

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2014, 08:39:23 pm »

Hiya Kyle!  Going to be close to The World in a few weeks, but mom lives in Lake Mary so we'll be staying closer to her.  Got to get to FW one of these days though.

Sooooo....what model PC do you have??

- Mike
Kyle_Phoenix_Cruiser

Helpful Rating: 3
________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2014, 10:18:06 am »

Right now I don't own anything - we've had various kinds of travel trailers in the past, but this is our first season with a motor home.  I've been using a demo 2014 Phoenix Cruiser 2350 for the last three weeks.  I've also been trying a night in any trade-in we receive that's not a Phoenix Cruiser so that I can familiarize myself with other brands - both the pros and cons.

The 2350 has been great for:
Street parking - even in parallel spots I've found legal & safe places to park... Usually at the end of the block.
Traveling with up to 5 people - using the captain's chair behind the passenger side is ideal for strapping in a car seat
Tight spots - 26' sites (common in Michigan state parks) fit this coach with ease
Boon docking -  with the mild summer we've had, the generator has only been fired up to run the microwave

Kyle Herschberger
Business Manager - Phoenix USA
kyle@phoenixcruiser.com
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print

Jump to: