Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: WATER, WATER EVERYWHERE  (Read 424 times)
gl1500

Helpful Rating: 52
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: May. 2014
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2551/2014
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Hickory
ExtColor: Cafe'
________

View Profile
« on: March 18, 2014, 02:10:40 pm »

Getting ready to go on first trip.  Put chemical in toilet, and was filling the fresh water tank through the outside fill site.  Went in to run the pump and found I was only getting a mixture of air and water.  Back outside I finished filling the tank until water came out the overflow indicating it was full.  I went back inside to run all faucets and make sure all was OK.  As soon as I got inside I saw water all over back by the corner bed and the bathroom.  I had previously cut a 10 by 10 opening in the platform bed for easy access to the pump and to check for any problems.  With a flashlight I was able to see water everywhere.  I quickly removed the mattress and unscrewed the chipboard platform.  Could not see any obvious leak until I noticed a reflection on the tank of water moving.  The feed line from the tank to the pump inlet was producing a steady flow of water on the backside of the pump.  Opened the outside drain. I had to drain the tank water because if I removed the line it would have emptied the tank inside.  Captured water with rags and small tray, continually emptying it.  
     Found the supply line cross threaded and cocked at an angle allowing the water to flow freely.  Reinstalled the fitting and all is OK now.  Spent the weekend drying out all the wood.  I had to remove the Boom Box and remove clamps holding wire bundles to get to water captured in the wiring.  All is well now as best as I can see.
     After running all the faucets and checking the water heater, I decided to dump the fresh water in the gray tank in my driveway.  I used the emergency opening and not the pump.  Opened the gray tank and out came my  chemical from the black tank.  Fortunately there was not a lot in there.
     Talked to Kermit and he said the stickers were reversed on the tank location.  They will send new stickers.
     As my wife said, just another adventure.
      Bob

« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 07:55:19 pm by gl1500 » Logged
Big Green Machine

Helpful Rating: 1
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: 02/22/14
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2011
IntColor: Sage and Beige
ExtColor: Green, Full body
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 02:52:59 pm »

Heckuva way to start the season... Hope it gets better for y'all!

2011 PC-2551 w/ slide.
Rich, Bonnie, & Cricket.
Unit available for showing anytime!
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 180
________
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 02:12:34 pm »

That is one nasty introduction with a brand new PC.  It takes only a little mishap on the production line to create a lot of headache for the first owner.  On the bright side, you were on top of the problem and was able to quickly resolve it yourself at home.  Good for you.  Hopefully it's all behind you now and it's smooth going forward.

Your cross-thread problem sounds like a mistake I could make myself, especially if in a confined area.  It surely was unfortunate.  In these circumstances you could go in one direction and get very upset over the matter.  Or you could look at the bright side that you solved it quickly (adding the "dry up" time too) and give the factory grace in the matter.  One thing for sure is that this is good information for others to be aware of.  Not just cross-threading on a new PC, but coming loose on an older one as well.  There are a few "hand tighten only" and my added clamped fittings around the rig that I wonder will be okay this season.  It's all part of RV ownership.

Well wishes on your first voyage Bob gl1500!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 02:18:02 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
2 Frazzled
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 82
________
PurchDate: May 2013
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2013
IntColor: Sunlit & Cherry
ExtColor: Sunlit
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 08:14:43 am »

This brought a question to mind on silicone rescue tape. We bought some at the Hershey show before we even decided on an RV.  One use noted in the sales pitch was quick, waterproof fixes on plumbing connections with a recommendation to wrap connections before they shake loose and leak. Has anyone used the stretchy tape for repairs or preventive maintenance? (I've been told you can buy the same tape cheaper at Home Depot).

John, Holly, Chloe & Snickers (The "nanny' cat)

Plan at least three years on the road - living, laughing, working and playing in the PC.
Doneworking

Helpful Rating: 23
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: September 2013
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2013
________

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 08:35:38 am »

The stickers on the dump switches were reversed on my 2350 when I got it last fall from the first owner.  He pointed it out and told me he had spoken to the factory about it.  Could be many units went through that way and perhaps owners should check their PC to make sure the labeling is correct. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: