Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Thermopane Windows  (Read 964 times)
BuffaloRose

Helpful Rating: 6
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: 3/3/2014
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2010
Slide: Yes
________

Earl & Rose

View Profile
« on: March 21, 2014, 09:06:16 pm »

Hi,

We tried out our 2010 2350 camping on the beach at Edisto Island state park this week. We have a couple of questions. We think we have thermo-pane windows, but very few of the manuals were still with the coach.  It was nice and warm as well as quiet. We noticed that the small kitchen window and the bathroom window are "foggy".  We assume the seals have failed and there is "gas" between the panes.  Has anyone had a failure with these and is there any kind of warranty?  Seems that they should have held their seal longer than four years.  Also it rained and temps were in the 40's on this trip.  Noticed that the bathroom window and the sofa window both had a great deal of condensate on the metal frames that actually caused puddling on the bathroom counter and on an afghan tossed over the back of the sofa.  Is this normal on these types of windows?  Anyone else experienced any of these issues?
Thanks for sharing your wisdom.
Rose and Earl

BuffaloRose
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 179
________
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: June 2007
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 11:28:29 pm »

Our 2007 has the earlier side-to-side sliding thermal pane windows with all thermal seals good to-date.  The only time they'll sweat on us is when the rig is closed up and we forget to exhaust the PC while cooking or taking a shower.  When cooking, we'll open the sink window an inch or two and run the exhaust fan over the stove.  In the bathroom we'll run the bathroom ceiling fan when showering.

I know it's tough to do in cold weather, very tempting to keep the place buttoned up.  That's my take on it.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 07:56:38 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
BuffaloRose

________
________

Earl & Rose

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2014, 09:57:19 am »

Thanks Ron.  Any idea on warranty info on the foggy glass? Don't know the manufacturer. Might be worth a call to them.  Don't mind the bathroom fog so much, but enjoy looking at the view from the kitchen sometimes. Smile

BuffaloRose
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2014, 10:55:34 am »

Every thermal window on our 2007 has a tiny red sticker with the name "Hurd".  Maybe the previous owner removed all your stickers.  Google RV windows and see if you find the name.

ADDING LATER:  I see lower on, Pax & Dutch both state the brand is Hehr.  That's the name I am thinking of.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 07:55:27 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

Pax

Helpful Rating: 48
________
PurchDate: July
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2014
IntColor: Sunlit / Cherry
ExtColor: Sunlit
________

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2014, 11:50:22 am »

Ours are Hehr windows:  http://www.hehrintl.com/

Dutch

Helpful Rating: 3
________
PurchDate: March 2014
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2011
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: Sage/White
________

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2014, 07:04:05 pm »

The kitchen and bedroom windows on the curb side of the 2011 PC 2551 we just purchased both have foggy discoloration on the bottom portion of the window. These are the two section bottom crank out type that don't really allow much cross ventilation. None the less, the bottom portion is thermo-pane while the upper section is single pane. Last week while talking with Kermit, he said he believed the bottom portion could be replaced. Apparently one would have to remove the frame to determine the proper part number. Hehr is the manufacturer. I don't plan on any change in the immediate future but if you do, please share the details.

dave
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2014, 08:01:53 pm »

.....the bottom portion is thermo-pane while the upper section is single pane.

WOW!

I didn't realize that the fixed sections of newer flush-mount windows are single pain.  That is the majority of the surface area.  At that point, what good is the thermal pane glass option?  I could see it good to have for the rear window of a 2350 given heads sleep there, but elsewhere it seems a waste of money.  I now understand why BuffaloRose has asked the question.

This has me wondering what I have in my older 2007.  I will study each pane carefully and report back.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 08:06:36 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

gl1500

Helpful Rating: 61
________
PurchDate: May. 2014
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2551/2014
IntColor: Hickory
ExtColor: Cafe'
________

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2014, 12:59:28 am »

Just checked a couple of windows on our 2014's 2350 and all the window is thermopane.  It is late at night and we are on the road or I would check farther.
    Bob
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 193
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
ModelYear: 2012
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2014, 08:18:01 am »

When I owned my 2004 Winnebago it had thermo pane windows. There was lots of problems with them fogging up back then.
There was also a lot of talk on the forums about companies that claimed to be able to repair them. I don't remember any company names but you might want to try a internet search for "dual pane window repair" or something like that. It is one reason I did not get them on my PC. That and the cost and how much air comes in from the cab anyway.

I know some people love them and some hate them, so I guess that is why they are an option and not a standard.

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
Bob Mahon
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 60
________
PurchDate: 6/2011
IntColor: Tan/Gray/Cherry
ExtColor: Lower Slate Gray
________

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2014, 10:58:01 am »

I've had both in a number motorhomes. All the dual pane windows fogged at some point and, if given the choice, I won't have them again.

Carry on, regardless..................
"In God we trust" to save our country and bring our troops safely home.
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2014, 12:08:09 pm »

It surely would be disappointing to have fogged-up windows.  I wonder if they can be shipped out to Hehr for repair.  It might be cheaper to buy replacement panes instead.  CLICK HERE to order replacements.  It talks about where to find the part number of your window.

BTW:  I checked and confirmed that all six of our house windows are 100% thermal pane, slider and fixed pane.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 12:16:17 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

Bob Mahon
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 60
________
PurchDate: 6/2011
IntColor: Tan/Gray/Cherry
ExtColor: Lower Slate Gray
________

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2014, 12:14:30 pm »

All my house windows are also Thermopane. But they don't fog.

Carry on, regardless..................
"In God we trust" to save our country and bring our troops safely home.
BuffaloRose

________
________

Earl & Rose

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2014, 11:28:21 pm »

Thanks all.  Interesting reading.  Briefly visited the manufacturer link you provided, and expect the windows can be replaced if they worsen. Think we will make our first priority replacing the barrel chair so we won't argue over the  prized tv viewing spot on the sofa. Will probably need your input on that mod!

BuffaloRose
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 193
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
ModelYear: 2012
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2014, 07:06:41 am »

Here is a link to a one of Ron's post when he replaced his chair. It is complete with pictures. It was so nice that I did the same thing to my 2350. I went through Carol at the factory and saved about $60 over going directly to Paul's seating. She was able to get the same captains chair that I had in the front, with two arms.She made sure they used the same bolt pattern that the barrel chair had so I could use the same stand. She shipped it to me and I installed it. That took about 15 minutes to remove the four bolts, remove the barrel chair off the stand, put the new chair on the stand, and replace the bolts.

http://www.phoenixusarv.com/community/index.php/topic,267.0.html

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
2 Frazzled
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 90
________
PurchDate: May 2013
ModelYear: 2013
IntColor: Sunlit & Cherry
ExtColor: Sunlit
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2014, 08:59:12 am »

Going back to the thermopane windows. I believe all our "house" windows are dual pane, both fixed top and operable bottom, with the possible exception of the emergency exit over the driver side bed. I don't know if it is thermal or not but a large amount of cold air pours down on me while John sleeps fairly snug and warm. I can hold my hand under the half with the standard window and it is colder than solid wall but it does not seem to have the massive air infiltration that the emergency window does. It feels like we have an open window even though it is locked shut and cannot be pushed open at all. Is this normal?

I'm going to buy one of those silver bubble window shields and cut it to fit in the space just to cut the draft. Fresh air while sleeping is good but it's 20 degrees out there! I was hoping with thermal windows we wouldn't have this kind of a draft.

On another (cold) note, I have draped a sheet type thing across the lower opening of the cab, pushing it against the wing walls and draping it to the floor. It does make a difference. When I drop my arm over the draping between the front seats, it is like sticking it into a freezer. It is at least 15-20 degrees colder up there. I bought cheap emergency space blankets and am going to tape a couple together and try to rig them into a quick hook up wall from ceiling to floor across the front. If it works, I'll post pictures and info. I hope to rig it to work two ways: one floor to ceiling where entire cab is closed off; and one where it drapes under the TV and cabinets so we have access to those.

John, Holly, and sometimes Chloe.
Spiritofthewoods.net
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print

Jump to: