Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Thermopane Windows  (Read 889 times)
Pax

Helpful Rating: 47
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: July
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2014
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Sunlit / Cherry
ExtColor: Sunlit
________

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2014, 10:14:38 am »

While we haven't yet lived in the PC when it was below 40 degrees (yet) our first few nights were chilly.  I realized after a couple of nights that the cab AC/ventilation system wasn't in recirc mode.  When I switched it to recirc, the cold infiltration was noticeably lessened the following nights.

Our emergency window doesn't seem to have the same issues that you describe, Holly, but we will focus on it more next time out.  I wonder if the rubber seal around that window is warped or damaged in some way.  In any event, here are a couple of things that I had stored away in one of my folders for possible future reference.  They deal with temporarily sealing out the cold from windows, and some general full timing info for cold weather....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3s0bY6IAXI

http://www.marxrv.com/skp/survive.htm

- Mike
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 190
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2014, 10:28:09 am »

What about seeing out the windshield while watching TV? You never know who might sneak up on you some day in Colorado. flirt

What the word on your furnace?

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 179
________
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2014, 12:54:55 pm »

Here is a link to a one of Ron's post when he replaced his chair. It is complete with pictures. It was so nice that I did the same thing to my 2350. I went through Carol at the factory and saved about $60 over going directly to Paul's seating. She was able to get the same captains chair that I had in the front, with two arms.She made sure they used the same bolt pattern that the barrel chair had so I could use the same stand. She shipped it to me and I installed it. That took about 15 minutes to remove the four bolts, remove the barrel chair off the stand, put the new chair on the stand, and replace the bolts.

http://www.phoenixusarv.com/community/index.php/topic,267.0.html
I don't have the installation pictures posted on that thread any longer.  When I get some time, I'll include them again as my flickr account now handles a lot more pictures.  It is a very easy straight-forward bolt-off bolt-on installation.  Like Tom says, all of 15 minutes and not a lot of muscle required either.

Irene and I really like our 3rd captain seat.  We used to fight over it most before we replaced our dinette cushions with leather & memory foam.  Because of it's safety and seat belt when traveling, it gets fought over when we travel with guests.  My uncle claimed it on our trip down to Kentucky to bury his brother.

I would still like to install those "D" rings, just in case we ever need to cart a little passenger in a child seat.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 01:05:28 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
gl1500

Helpful Rating: 60
________
PurchDate: May. 2014
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2551/2014
IntColor: Hickory
ExtColor: Cafe'
________

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2014, 04:58:53 pm »

On our previous PC, we had two windows, the lower section that opens, fog up in between the panes. This is an indication the hermetical seal was leaking.  Sent pictures to PC and they sent me new sections.  Was very easy to replace.  I believe the problem is all the shake, rattle and roll of the motorhome on the road.  Not much that can be done about that.  Hopefully the new coach will not experience the same problem.
      Bob
BuffaloRose

Helpful Rating: 6
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: 3/3/2014
ModelYear: 2010
________

Earl & Rose

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2014, 05:12:08 pm »

Thanks for the link Tom.  We have admired the pictures of all the great mods Ron has done on his PC. Glad to hear that the chair replacement should be simple.  Thinking of replacing ours with an inexpensive very small recliner from Big Lots until we have recovered financially from the purchase of our 4th motor home in 8 years.  Like many, we are looking for the PERFECT unit.  Wink Hopefully this 2350 is it!  Anyone know if the base plate for the barrell pedestal is installed on top of carpet?  We don't plan on carrying passengers so we only need to make sure that the chair  safely secured for travel.  The one we found swivels and reclines and is light weight.  :(cheap). It is covered in fabric that appears to match our window treatments reasonably well. 

BuffaloRose
2 Frazzled
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 81
________
PurchDate: May 2013
ModelYear: 2013
IntColor: Sunlit & Cherry
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2014, 08:05:44 pm »

Tom, still waiting on the furnace part. Camping World said 7 days, which would be last Thursday. We called on Thursday and they told us they should have said 7-10 days. I figured with Saturday deliveries today would be number 10 so we called and they said it isn't in yet. John asked them to check and call back... nothing yet. We'll pester them in the morning. If they can't give us a date or tracking info, we might pack it up and head south and start over again. My only concern is that the furnace doesn't turn on at all since they looked at it so if they did something, we may have trouble getting it repaired under warranty. I keep telling myself they shut it down for safety since the gas valve was opening but it wouldn't ignite. We'd open her up and check if it wasn't so darn cold.So bottom line - we are stuck in Maryland again freezing.

John, Holly, Chloe & Snickers (The "nanny' cat)

Plan at least three years on the road - living, laughing, working and playing in the PC.
Barry-Sue
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 324
________
PurchDate: 10/17/11
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2014, 08:33:32 pm »

I can hold my hand under the half with the standard window and it is colder than solid wall but it does not seem to have the massive air infiltration that the emergency window does. It feels like we have an open window even though it is locked shut and cannot be pushed open at all. Is this normal?

I have checked all of our windows in the 2012 2551 and they are indeed all thermopane.  We had a previous unit without thermopane and we could really tell the difference.

Holly,
We spent last night in Ohio where it got to 18 degrees.  I sleep in the bed with the emergency window and have never had an issue with it feeling cold.  In fact, we do not sleep with the furnace on and if it is predicted to get very cold we keep our small heater in the galley area for the night that cycles on and off as needed.  We did this last night and neither one of us felt cold at night.  In the morning Barry reaches up and turns either the furnace or heat strip on before we hop out of bed. We travel to and from Florida in very cold weather and never have an issue with the 2551 being cold.  Our bedding is regular sheets, a blanket and a comforter.

Sue

Barry and Sue 
Current   2012 2551 w/Slide
Previous 2008 2350 w/Slide
2 Frazzled
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2014, 08:56:22 pm »

I'll have to check the window seals, etc. extremely well and maybe call Kermit. There must be something wrong with our emergency window. Last night we slept with one space heater on between the beds and the privacy curtain closed (as we've done in the past but maybe not when it dropped so low outside). We have the truck vents off and the drape across the bottom half of the cab as I mentioned in an earlier post. When I got up it was tolerable (but still quite cold) in the bedroom area but our weather station showed 20 degrees outside and 40 degrees inside the kitchen/living area of the coach. With two space heaters (or for awhile one heater and the heat strip) we got it up to 58 after about 2.5 hours. We are leaving both heaters running tonight just to have a warmer base temperature to start with in the morning. We went back to the space heaters because the heat strip tends to blow right to the cab area and stirred up all that very cold air I had trapped behind the half curtain and actually dropped the inside temp for awhile. We dragged one heater out of storage and it is old and not as energy efficient so we have to run them on low to avoid tripping our power. We also have the computers on, tank heaters, cat's bed warmer (she's 18, she needs it), etc. so we are probably maxing the power. The coach is finally warm so we plan to keep both heaters running all night (with them cycling off when they reach their set temp). Fixing that window and blocking the cab should put us back to snug and warm - just in time for spring to arrive! (which is pretty much on schedule with getting the furnace fixed too).

Plan at least three years on the road - living, laughing, working and playing in the PC.
Big Green Machine

Helpful Rating: 1
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: 02/22/14
ModelYear: 2011
IntColor: Sage and Beige
ExtColor: Green, Full body
________

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2014, 04:10:56 pm »

For the dog, we use a gel-filled disc that is heated for 5 minutes in the microwave. It stays warm for 8-12 hours. Would save the power for the kitty warmer!

2011 PC-2551 w/ slide.
Rich, Bonnie, & Cricket.
Unit available for showing anytime!
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 179
________
PurchDate: June 2007
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2014, 04:28:35 pm »

I'll have to check the window seals, etc. extremely well and maybe call Kermit. There must be something wrong with our emergency window.
Try opening the emergency window using the two red handles, inspect the seals to make sure they are not folded or crushed funny, then lower the window sash carefully making sure the seal remains in proper position.

I opened our emergency window, just wanting to understand how it works.  It is hinged up top, swings out from the bottom.  When closing it, I had to position the seal a bit to assure it was not getting deformed.  If deformed, the window sash might not seal properly to the fixed frame.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 04:31:22 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
2 Frazzled
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2014, 05:44:54 pm »

Thanks Ron, I'll give that a go tomorrow when the sun comes out. We are apparently iced shut at the moment. I can open the red levers but the window does not budge and I don't want to put undue stress on the window or the seals.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: