Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Cracked shower pan on 2350  (Read 445 times)
rfriedkin

Helpful Rating: 1
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: February, 2013
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2013
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Maple
ExtColor: Brown
________

View Profile
« on: March 23, 2014, 03:23:02 pm »

I recently bought a used 2013 2350 from the factory .
The previous owner told me the shower  pan had cracked & he used epoxy to fix it.
The factory replaced the pan before I got it and the first time I tried to use it, found it had cracked again. I tried to repair it and found there was no support under the crack, which was on the  drivers side and ran the whole length of the pan. I spoke to Earl who promised to look into it (the factory has been very responsive to any of my concerns). It appears that the pan is made of a very flimsy material that needs to be supported  and should be replaced with something much stronger.Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Bob Mahon
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 58
________
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: 6/2011
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2011
IntColor: Tan/Gray/Cherry
ExtColor: Lower Slate Gray
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 04:33:58 pm »

Not recently but I had a similar problem in a MH I had years ago. I drilled a hole in the middle of the crack and squirted expanding foam into it. After the foam stopped expanding and solidified, I cut off what had come back out of the hole, roughed up the pan along the crack with 120 grit sandpaper and applied epoxy soaked fiberglass mat. Lastly, I painted the pan with white Interlux Bilgecoat. The fix was all but invisible and the pan was very solid after that.

Carry on, regardless..................
"In God we trust" to save our country and bring our troops safely home.
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 177
________
PurchDate: June 2007
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 05:35:32 pm »

At home, a contractor installed a plastic shower pan that was the footprint of a standard bath tub.  I was concerned of the pan suspended and a heavy person stepping over the hollow area with potential of breaking the pan.  The contractor told me they place blobs of a material on the floor under the pan, before setting it in place.  The blobs conform to the bottom of the pan and once cured, the pan becomes properly supported.  I don't recall what that supporting material is.

Bob's story about spraying expanding insulating foam through a hole would pretty much accomplish the same thing.  The expanding foam conforms to the shape of the shower pan, curing hard enough to support the weight of a person without a worry.  For a new PC pan installation, It seems feasible to drill small holes through the main PC floor, just large enough to insert the foam application tube, to spray underneath the pan from the under the vehicle.  Spray a little more as you remove the nozzle to seal the holes drilled.  You might even be able to avoid drilling holes in the RV sub floor by inserting the tube through the existing hole from the shower drain pipe
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 11:16:37 am by ron.dittmer » Logged

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
ragoodsp

Helpful Rating: 38
________
PurchDate: May 5, 2012
Model: 3100
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: cafe
ExtColor: cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 09:48:18 am »

My 1012 3100 had some pan cracks as well, they were hair line and did not go over the edge and down into the pan.  I used some epoxy filler/glue and filled/sanded and painted the lip and so far they have not shown up  again.  i did call Kermit and he said that my approach was a  good fix and to watch it and see if they spread and if so PC would address further.  It is not the best set up to say the leaset.  best of luck, Ron
rfriedkin

Helpful Rating: 1
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: February, 2013
ModelYear: 2013
IntColor: Maple
ExtColor: Brown
________

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 01:05:41 pm »

Update on my cracked shower pan. Kermit sent out a new one, and paid for the mechanic in FL to install it. Now good as new. And by the way, the mechanic hadn't worked on a PC before, but commented that it was the best built RV he had ever seen.

rfriedkin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: