• PurchDate: May 2013
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2013
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: Sunlit & Cherry
  • ExtColor: Sunlit
Basil and Garlic Slathered Chicken Breasts
« on: May 30, 2018, 02:40:00 pm »
This is a recipe I found a while back and we tried it again the other night. It is a WOW meal for sure. I use up to double the garlic and plan to cut the salt in half next time and let people add additional at the table if needed but adjust to what fits you. I'm the only one that thought we should cut the salt. Everyone else just yummed and sucked it down.

I am making a few baggies of the "paste" and freezing them to take in the rig so we can just pick up a few chicken breasts from any grocery while we are on the road, season, grill and done!

Basil and Garlic Slathered Chicken Breasts
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
1/2 tsp black pepper
olive oil, to taste (+ additional for grill)
few drops lemon juice, optional
4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (about 1 1/2 lbs)

1. In a food processor or a mortar, process or mash the garlic together with the salt. Add the basil and pepper and continue to mix until well combined. Add just enough oil to make a paste. If desired, add a few drops of lemon juice. Set aside. (We carry a Magic Bullet blender and use the small cup to make this. At this point I put it in a labelled snack baggie and freeze it.)

2. Pat the chicken dry. Place the chicken between 2 sheets of wax paper or plastic wrap and, using your hand, a skillet or a rolling pin, gently flatten it to an even thickness of about 1/2". Transfer to a resealable plastic bag or a plate, add the basil paste and shake or smear to coat the chicken evenly. (John fillets the breasts so we don't pound or roll them.)

3. Preheat the grill or place a grill pan over medium-high heat. Lightly oil the rack or pan.

4. Grill the chicken, turning once, just until cooked through, 3-5 minutes per side. Serve hot.

Author: Dennis Kelly - Grilling & Barbecuing -- Source: Washington Post (I also see it all over the internet).

For those putting on a classier dinner or anyone that objects to eating "slathered" food, I have been informed this is a "French Provencal Pistou Sauce" - so very grand!

John, Holly, and sometimes Chloe.
Spiritofthewoods.net