Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: How do you store your spices?  (Read 457 times)
2 Frazzled
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 81
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: May 2013
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2013
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Sunlit & Cherry
ExtColor: Sunlit
________

View Profile WWW
« on: March 27, 2014, 09:32:08 am »

We started with just a few spices thinking we could get by but we like to cook varied meals and the spices are adding up. I've been looking for a fairly efficient but functional method of storing a small quantity of many different spices. I've seen overpriced travel packets of little metal tins with screw on lids, screw together round plastic containers that make a tower of spices and, the one I am considering, locking pill boxes with labels on each lid for the spices http://www.handyhausfrau.com/2010/03/portable-spice-kit-for-camping-or.html  http://willowhavenoutdoor.com/wild-edibles-recipes/quick-cheap-backpack-spice-kit-ideas-2/ 
I've ordered some of the locking pill boxes but haven't gotten around to raiding my son's spices and filling them yet. Has anyone tried this? Does anyone have a better method? We don't have the need or space for a full bottle of each spice.

Side note: We are now carrying a full bottle of one spice I found in the south (and on Amazon) - "Slap Ya Mama" Cajun seasoning - hot (they have original which I assume is milder). It contains salt, red pepper, black pepper and garlic. WOW, quick ZING! We highly recommend it.

John, Holly, Chloe & Snickers (The "nanny' cat)

Plan at least three years on the road - living, laughing, working and playing in the PC.
gradygal
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 92
________
PurchDate: March 2012
Model: 2910
ModelYear: 2013
IntColor: cherry
ExtColor: slate gray full body paint
________

our 3rd PC--Custom 2910

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 10:29:48 am »

Great ideas--my mother has a larger pill case which would hold more spices. For me, the small pill case is too small. I love to cook so I bring what I need.

This year, I plan to bring a basil plant with me. We'll see how that works out. Since we are going to be at Orr's Island for a month, I can leave it on the picnic table.

Judi

Judi and George Nicholson
Punta Gorda FL
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 180
________
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 11:40:40 am »

My Irene bought something similar to this at a local store.  She likes it a lot in our PC.  She has changed out a spice or two for her preferred ones, and also replaces older for fresher.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 02:33:28 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
Pax

Helpful Rating: 47
________
PurchDate: July
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2014
IntColor: Sunlit / Cherry
ExtColor: Sunlit
________

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 11:55:42 am »

We are still struggling a bit with this too.  I think we will end up keeping it simple by buying the half sized bottles of spices we use regularly and a couple of the multi-spice bottles Ron just described.  While we have enough storage space right now, I imagine after a few more trips we will have less and less.  The place I am eyeing for storing the spices right now is over the main coach door.  Some folks have apparently built a small lipped shelf around that decorative piece above the door to hold keys, flashlights, etc.  Should hold enough spices.  Not sure Joni would like them displayed like that tho.

This place has a lot of interesting products (expensive) which could be duplicated more cheaply.  http://www.tubularspices.com/

My one large go-to spice bottle is Kirkland Mesquite Seasoning.  A little goes a long way and I use it in pulled pork, short ribs, salmon, sauces, soups, steaks, burgers.  It has a sweet and somewhat smoky taste.....similar to smoked paprika, which I love as well.

- Mike
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 180
________
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 02:48:37 pm »

I've gathered for a while now, PC owners with slide outs tend to struggle more with a lack of interior storage than we do, primarily impacting cooking in some fashion.  Some resort to using closet or cab-over space for cookware and food.

With our no-slide, we had been utilizing our large over-the-dinette cabinets for food and cookware.  After reconfiguring our galley base cabinet to three large drawers, all cookware now stores there which cleared out 50% of the over-dinette cabinet.  My wife Irene quickly realized that new space is the perfect place to store her vacation treasures.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 05:44:06 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
Movinon

Helpful Rating: 0
________
________

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 12:51:26 pm »

I use a "Spice Stack".  Mine has 3 drawers, holds 18 regular size spice bottles or more of the little bottles.  Fits on the shelf in my '08 Cruiser and when I'm not on the road I keep it at home.  They come in several sizes from 12 to 24 or 30 bottles.  Bought it on line at a good price.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: