Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Easy Breakfast Bake  (Read 292 times)
Pax

Helpful Rating: 48
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: July
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2014
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Sunlit / Cherry
ExtColor: Sunlit
________

View Profile
« on: March 27, 2014, 11:19:48 pm »

This Betty Crocker recipe has been a hit at our house, and a lifesaver when we have a houseful of company.  It is tasty, easy to prepare, can be made ahead of time and leftovers can be frozen. 

This is the 'crowd sized' recipe (serves 12), but it can be halved easily (see notes at the end).  The smaller version works great for an RV.

For the RV I also prepare the sausage, bell pepper and onion mixture ahead of time (and either refrigerate or freeze) after cooking it which makes preparation even easier.

Impossibly Easy Breakfast Bake
(Serves 12)

2 packages (12 oz each) bulk pork sausage
1 medium bell pepper, chopped (1 cup)
1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
3 cups frozen hash brown potatoes
2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese (8 oz)
1 cup Original Bisquick mix
2 cups milk
1/4 teaspoon pepper
4 eggs

Directions
Heat oven to 400F. Grease rectangular baking dish, 13x9x2 inches. Cook sausage, bell pepper and onion in 10-inch skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until sausage is no longer pink; drain. Stir together sausage mixture, potatoes and 1 1/2 cups of the cheese in baking dish.

Stir Bisquick mix, milk, pepper and eggs until blended. Pour into baking dish.

Bake uncovered 40 to 45 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 1 to 2 minutes longer or just until cheese is melted. Cool 5 minutes.

Expert Tips
If you'd rather make a smaller recipe using a 9-inch pie plate, cut all ingredient amounts in half and bake 30 to 35 minutes.
Savory Impossibly Easy Pies can be covered and refrigerated up to 24 hours before baking. You may need to bake a bit longer than the recipe directs since youll be starting with a cold pie. Watch carefully for doneness.

- Mike

2 Frazzled
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 90
________
PurchDate: May 2013
ModelYear: 2013
IntColor: Sunlit & Cherry
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 10:19:05 am »

Excellent Mike! This is one of our favorites also. We tend to bake the larger recipe then cut any leftovers into substantial squares, wrap and freeze. We've also made this one in a Dutch oven over the coals. For cooking at camp with no mess, we precook the sausage at home and drain it and cool it then toss it in a gallon baggie with all ingredients above the Bisquick. A second baggie gets the Bisquick and pepper. A third (snack) baggie holds the 1/2 cup of cheese for the topping and can ride on top of the food in the sausage/potato baggie. The eggs ride in an egg case. Milk in its own container. We toss the dry food baggie into the greased pan, mix the eggs, milk, Bisquick and pepper by squishing it together in the second baggie, then pour it on. Just remember to keep the 1/2 cup of cheese in it's own little baggie for the final topping. Your cleanup will be the pan it bakes in and the serving spoon. The baggies zip shut and go in the trash.

I haven't tried the other impossible pies on the Bisquick site but I hear several are very good.

John, Holly, and sometimes Chloe.
Spiritofthewoods.net
Pax

Helpful Rating: 48
________
PurchDate: July
ModelYear: 2014
IntColor: Sunlit / Cherry
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 09:50:10 pm »

Awesome!  You made one of my favorite and easy dishes even easier!

Will be going on a very long (9000+ mile) trip this spring/summer, and will have a few tricks and tips to share regarding meals and treats I'm sure.

I'm already RV-thinking regarding preparation steps, portioning, freezing, and ease of clean up for all sorts of things.  Lots of great resources online, including you, the PC forum in general and all the assorted RV bloggers out there.

Looking forward to all the local produce, meat, fish and sundries along the way across the country.

- Mike
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: