Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Rig baths  (Read 747 times)
Pax

Helpful Rating: 47
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: July
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2014
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Sunlit / Cherry
ExtColor: Sunlit
________

View Profile
« on: April 03, 2014, 07:50:11 am »

Our PC is stored out in the weather at a storage facility, and there are very few car/truck wash businesses around here that are set up to wash an RV.  Aside from using the Camping World 'spa treatment', how frequently does everyone run across places to wash their rigs on the road across the country?  Do many RV parks have facilities (and if so, do they have the required tools like brushes...or should I toss one in the rig)?

- Mike
2 Frazzled
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 81
________
PurchDate: May 2013
ModelYear: 2013
IntColor: Sunlit & Cherry
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 08:42:15 am »

We don't wash ours as often as we like but have seen a few truck washes along the way. We've yet to try them as it was usually too cold to play in water. Most of the campgrounds we've been in specifically state "NO WASHING OR REPAIRS" of the camping units but we are also usually in State or County Parks. Some private campgrounds allow it. One we were at said it was allowed for an added cost. Don't know what that cost was. I saw one gentleman doing "stealth" washing. He had a little spray bottle, small Tupperware "bucket" and sponge and would wash one small section at a time like the door of the truck or one area of the side back to a window, etc. I saw him out there every day doing just a bit. I don't know how he got a good rinse, though. Places that allow long term stays usually allow washing of the rig. We carry our own extendable brush, sponge and collapsible bucket.

John, Holly, Chloe & Snickers (The "nanny' cat)

Plan at least three years on the road - living, laughing, working and playing in the PC.
Bruce and Sharon

Helpful Rating: 39
________
PurchDate: 8/16/2013
IntColor: Hickory
ExtColor: Cafe lower body
Location: Summer in Pacific Grove and winter in Palm Desert, California
________

PC on Monterey Bay shore

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 12:05:20 pm »

Mike,
During our many years of RVing, we've never been questioned in RV parks for using a spray bottle and towel to clean small sections of our rig at a time as described in the previous post.  I often use waterless washing products (like those at http://www.wipeoutsystems.com/wipe-out_gallery.html) and have an extendable brush made specifically for this.
I think that the parks that object to "washing" are referring to using water hoses and buckets that will likely use a lot of water and spray water all over the RV site (and likely over the RVers in nearby sites).
Many of the upscale parks we've stayed in allow commercial rig detailers to come in to do complete wash and wax jobs at the individual RV sites.  I usually avoid that due to the cost.   Grin
--Bruce
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 12:12:44 pm by Bruce and Sharon » Logged

Bruce, Sharon, Sparky dog, & Minou kitty
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 190
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 02:00:05 pm »

Once when we had the 2010 2350 on the E450 (10' 1" high) we stopped at a car wash that had self wash bays. My DW guided me in to make sure everything like the roof A/C and vent covers cleared the hose coming out of the ceiling. I was able to wash down the whole Pc except for the roof. It was so dirty I think I removed about ten pounds of Colorado dirt from her.

I have not tried our 2012 2552 yet. The lenght may require moving it forward during the wash and the back to finish the rinse. Normally I wash it at home before each trip.

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
Jim and Beth

Helpful Rating: 8
________
PurchDate: March 2013
Model: 2910
IntColor: Cafe
ExtColor: Full Body Dusk (2012 colors)
________

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 03:42:30 pm »

When we were fulltime we had a 40' Monaco and towed a Saturn Vue and used truck washes when available. They generally charge by the foot and will wash the toad as well. The two issues I had with truck washes was location (generally on major interstates) and waiting in line behind one or more trucks. It generally takes 30 - 40 minutes to clean each vehicle so have something to read. If you use a truck wash, tell them that you do not want chemicals used on the wheels. You can find locations on internet sites such as Blue Beacon Truck Wash, Truck-O-Mat and other trucker sites. We did carry our own equipment and washed at campgrounds when allowed. Costs ranged from $5.00 to $20.00 depending on the campground.

Now I wash our 2910 after each trip and get it restocked for the next trip. If I want to wash the RV while on the road I have a bucket, brush with extendable pole, car wash soap, glass cleaner and microfibers. I carry an extra hose as well.

RVs always run better when clean....
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 180
________
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2014, 04:50:55 pm »

Normally I wash it at home before each trip.
LOL  I wash ours after we get back.

If we develop a serious dirt problem during a trip, I have been known to spend a few bucks in a wand-wash and do a quick power rinse.

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2014, 05:11:38 pm »

Normally I wash it at home before each trip.
LOL  I wash ours after we get back.

If we develop a serious dirt problem during a trip, I have been known to spend a few bucks in a wand-wash and do a quick power rinse.

Is a wand-wash the same thing as self service bays?

I don't have the luxury of storing the PC inside so unless it is really dirty I wait until the next trip

Tom Hanlon
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 180
________
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2014, 05:22:49 pm »

Yes Tom.

wand wash = Do-It-Yourself with the power washing wand.

I see what you mean.  Why wash it just to get dirty outside while being stored.  It makes sense.

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
Pax

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2014, 12:34:08 am »

Thanks for all the input!  Guess I'll load up some basic cleaning tools for when an RV park has a specific area for cleaning and then just use a truck stop wash on our travels.  Don't have the luxury of washing it at home due to 1) Space, 2) Lovely tree-lined street with low hanging branches, and 3) Local restrictions (actually, EVERYTHING is restricted in CA......so, why are we still here?   Oh yeah, the weather.  Sposed to be in the 80's in N. Cal. next week and in the 90's in Bakersfield)

Thought about the waterless wash products like Bruce uses and others mentioned seeing, but our rig has Diamond Shield and they specifically say not to use any waterless products (http://www.diamond-shield.com/index.cfm?)

If we ever tear ourselves away from our current main residence our next will obviously include indoor RV storage and space for loading/unloading and washing.

- Mike
Shipper

Helpful Rating: 11
________
PurchDate: 04/2013
Model: 3100
IntColor: Maple and Grey
ExtColor: Dusk
________

Cadillac Mountain

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2014, 05:49:25 pm »

Mike,
I'm currently at John Pennekamp Coral Reef SP at key largo, FL and they have the "don't wash on site" rule. They continue by saying that there are several RV wash places around the area. I couldn't find any so I stopped at the front gate and asked where they were? A nice Hispanic lady ranger told me that she has a friend with a van that uses his own water and that he would come to my site. He did, we negotiated price; and he proceeded to wash rig with a pressure washer set on wide stream. Took him about an hour and a half and, after he towel dried it, I paid him $60. he did a great job!
Shipper

PS: This is a great location with full hookups and all the water sport amenities. We are staying two weeks.

It's not that I'm insensitive, it's probably that I just don't care. Wink
Pax

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2014, 09:26:34 am »

Thanks, Shipper!  Wonder why the 'don't wash on site rule' but someone can come in and do it for you.  I'm guessing you didn't have close neighbors and the site wasn't dirt which would get muddy.....or was there a special wash area?

Just got to Bakersfield yesterday and saw quite a few truck washes along the way on I-5.  This RV park also has the no wash rule, but there were business cards for mobile wash companies at the registration desk.  I'll have to ask how that works today.

- Mike
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2014, 02:01:57 pm »

Some campgrounds are on wells and don't want to use all the water to wash RVs. When some one comes into the campground, they bring their own water. Normally the charge by the foot and extra to do the roof. Even if the campground is on city water, they still have to pay for it. Washing a rig is not figured into the camping fees.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 02:04:26 pm by TomHanlon » Logged

Tom Hanlon
Pax

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2014, 09:37:47 am »

Ah!  Didn't think of that! shrug
2 Frazzled
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 81
________
PurchDate: May 2013
IntColor: Sunlit & Cherry
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2014, 08:52:41 am »

Even campgrounds on city water balk at having rigs washed. City water fees are meant to cover the cost of the water going into the "house" and going into the sewer system to be cleaned after it leaves the house. Some areas allow separate meters for outside water use such as irrigation, sprinklers, car washes, etc. that do not put the water back into the system to be processed. That water is then charged at a lower rate. Since most campgrounds don't have that double meter thing (unless they set up a separate wash area), they would be paying a good bit more for the water spraying out onto all those RVs.

John, Holly, Chloe & Snickers (The "nanny' cat)

Plan at least three years on the road - living, laughing, working and playing in the PC.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: