Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Showing prospective buyers.  (Read 569 times)
Pax

Helpful Rating: 47
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: July
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2014
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Sunlit / Cherry
ExtColor: Sunlit
________

View Profile
« on: April 04, 2014, 08:23:38 pm »

We've shown our rig now to quite a few folks, but never to anyone interested in the smaller PC's.  Tomorrow we show ours to someone interested in the 2100.  Was wondering if anyone out there has any input regarding these units.  Slide or no slide, options, issues, etc?  I know it depends on how folks are going to use their rigs, or think they will use their rigs.  The 2100 is so completely different to our 2552.  The young couple is driving a few hours to see ours, and has indicated they are interested in seeing the driver and passenger seats since they are identical in all units (basically). But I'm sure they will be looking at a lot more than that.  Haven't seen too many owners of the 2100 on the forum.

- Mike
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 08:31:06 pm by Pax » Logged
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 179
________
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 08:45:19 pm »

In discussion with others who have checked out 2100s, there is one common concern.....storage, both inside and outdoor.  For out door, other than the common rear compartment, there is just a very tiny 9" door to access the front dinette bench from the outside.  It seems quite limited in usefulness.  If they plan to add a rear hitch storage box to gain outdoor storage, they will be basically the same length as the 2350.  So then why not get the 2350 where there are no storage problems.

I feel the 2100 is ideal for a single person or even a couple who are accustom to limited storage, people who had adapted to a straight-up class B which generally offer even less storage.

Given my unpopular no-slide-out stand, the 2100 would do good without the slide-out option, to increase indoor over-head cabinet storage.  I think the factory might be able to get creative upon request with both indoor and outdoor storage when without a slide out.  I would ask the factory to toss the fold-open couch bed and build a bay-window-style bench seat with outside access into that bench.  That would offer more outdoor storage than most other models.  The drawback is that one person sleeps on the bench, the other on the converted dinette.  But for a single person, that bench seat bed seems ideal.  Just toss the backrest cushions on another seat and your bed is ready.  It would be kind-of like a day bed.  Underneath in the bench you'd have all your outdoor stuff accessible only from the outside.

When showing your rig, if you have a laptop, have pics of the 2100 with you so they can see what is common and what is not.

Just a thought.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 08:58:48 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
Pax

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 09:52:17 pm »

Thanks Ron!  Great input, for sure.  If they appear interested, I would certainly point them to this forum to get other great info.  I agree that the 2100 looks like a great alternative to tent camping or ClassB RV'ing.  And the no-slide option does provide for more storage for sure.  It sure is a neat looking rig....very compact but just about everything included.

- Mike
2 Frazzled
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 81
________
PurchDate: May 2013
ModelYear: 2013
IntColor: Sunlit & Cherry
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2014, 08:27:40 am »

Mike, we showed our 2552 to someone considering a 2350. The front is the same on both models so it was a better match but they really wanted to check the quality of the build. There are a lot of companies out there with pretty pictures on the website but you only see what they want you to see and you can't tell how solidly things are built. This couple had poured over the website but wanted to touch one (cabinets, fixtures, etc). Now that they've seen the 2552 they aren't sure... They might be buying that instead (it's the lure of the bathroom and comfy twin beds). We also gave them a brochure. Since you seem to be showing your unit a lot I suggest calling Earl or Karen and requesting some. I know the same info is on the website but having it in your hands is better.

John, Holly, Chloe & Snickers (The "nanny' cat)

Plan at least three years on the road - living, laughing, working and playing in the PC.
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 190
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2014, 08:32:09 am »

Back in 1972 when we were a "young couple" we bought a pickup truck with an eight foot camper on the back. It was a bare bones model with very little storage space. That did not matter to us at the time as we only used it for weekend and the annual two week vacation. It had the over the cab bed, a dinette, two burner stove top with oven, an Ice box that we put block ice into, a small heater and a wet bath. When we were young that was all we could afford and really needed. We would store things on the bed during the day and move them to the dinette at night. We could take along enough food, cokes and beer for the weekend. On longer trips we stopped and shopped as we went. This great country has food and beer stores just about everywhere.

The 2100 floor plan is one that has been around for many years because it is small and has the best mobility of any model out there. For short trips it maybe all they need without major modifications. The only thing I would make sure is that there is a folding floor over the step well in front of the stove. When cooking on the stove it is fairly easy to fall into the step well.

The young couple may want to put bikes on the back and still be able to go anywhere. In which case the 2350 with bikes on the back maybe longer than they want.

Oh to be young and carefree again. Smile

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
Pax

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2014, 10:02:25 am »

Gotcha, Holly...we wanted to do the same thing....see one in person, regardless of model, to get a feeling for the quality.  We drove from the S.F. Area to the L.A. Area to check out a used 2552 and we're glad we did.  Gotta get me some of those brochures.  Earl is getting good at pointing in our direction.

Tom: I wish I had gotten into metallic camping earlier in life, like you.  It's such a great way to relax, and having had some high-stress jobs it would have done wonders for my mental well being.  Oh, and 'young' is just a state of mind.  'Carefree'?  You strike me as someone who knows how to enjoy life.  (Advise on the step well is noted)

- Mike

TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 190
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2014, 11:39:53 am »

Mike,

Holly had to drive for 20 minutes to my house to see a PC 2552. Now Ken (now on order) had to drive 15 minutes from work to see it. How lucky can they be.

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
Pax

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2014, 12:02:04 pm »

Yep, that's lucky!

I just found a 2005 PC2100  just down the road a couple of miles at a dealer.  Only has 8800 miles on it.  I'll probably send them down there to look at it, since the floor plan is much the same as the new ones.  Interesting that it's called a Phoenix Sport.  Camping World in Roseville (about an hr away) has a 2012 PC2100 (22000 miles) on their lot as well.

Hey, maybe we should talk to Kermit and set up a NorCal PC Dealership!  No real work, since they sell themselves .....and think of the trade in deals we could make for ourselves!  LOL

- Mike
racephoto

Helpful Rating: 4
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: 4/1/2013
Model: 2100
ModelYear: 2008
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2014, 07:11:14 pm »

I love my 2100.  It's perfect for one.  There's no one I like enough to full-time in it with another person, but I had a friend along for a week and it was fine.  The slide model loses all the under-couch storage and a good portion of the overhead so that would make a huge difference.  I bought a hitch carrier for a few things that are bulky & don't need to be inside anyway like my blow-up kayak and laundry spinner.  Because of the way the rear cap sticks out further a few feet above the hitch, it doesn't really add much length.  I have a huge waterproof bag for it that's currently just folded up in the tray. (Not shown in this pic)  It was a fraction of the cost and weight of those StowAway boxes, and if I absolutely HAD to minimize the length it could all come off & go in the shower.  :-)

Here are some more pics:
https://picasaweb.google.com/111242799135308646733/PhoenixCruiserPC2100?authuser=0&feat=directlink

« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 08:08:53 pm by racephoto » Logged
Pax

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2014, 08:15:35 pm »

Nice!  It isn't so obvious to new or prospective owners what the trade off is regarding the slideout (more floor space vs more storage space) And is that a solar panel on your ladder?

Tell me more about the reason you want the least amount of length.  The obvious reasons to me are: parking anywhere, driving in small towns, gas consumption, ability to use state/city parks with length limits.  There is a neat little 'park' or overlook near me that is elevated above a part of the Napa Valley, but is limited to under 30' vehicles.  Is the limited size limiting in the time you can spend at a time on the road or on a trip?  (I already know your input, Ron, and will give you a 'helpful' by default)  Wink

- Mike
racephoto

Helpful Rating: 4
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: 4/1/2013
ModelYear: 2008
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2014, 08:36:19 pm »

Tell me more about the reason you want the least amount of length.  The obvious reasons to me are: parking anywhere, driving in small towns, gas consumption, ability to use state/city parks with length limits. 

All of the above.  :-) Driving on narrow, winding mountain roads makes me appreciate the less than 8' width too.  And I do not, at this time, want to tow a vehicle.  I think you replied right as I edited my reply with a link to more pics, so here it is again: https://picasaweb.google.com/111242799135308646733/PhoenixCruiserPC2100?authuser=0&feat=directlink

Would more floor space be nice?  Absolutely.  Since it's just me I value the storage more.  I have a chair, a stool, 2 folding tables, a propane campfire, cables, a grill and assorted other junk under there.  I would surely miss having that space.  Everything's a compromise.

And yes, that's my portable solar panel on the ladder.  It's 100w.  I now pretty much only have it on there when it's in storage, it takes me 20 minutes to bungee it to my satisfaction whereas I can just toss it behind the drivers seat and go.  :-) But in storage it kept my tired original 2008 batteries topped up all winter.  I just had them replaced today in fact.

Here's more info on my solar setup:
http://gailsails.blogspot.com/2014/03/my-solar-setup.html
RheaNL

Helpful Rating: 11
________
PurchDate: October 4, 2012
ModelYear: 2013
IntColor: Dusk
ExtColor: Dusk lower
________

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2014, 10:44:30 pm »

We have a 2013 PC2100 with slide and love it. There is 2 of us and we are smaller people-5' and 5'5". No problem with storage. The secret is to invest a little money in small compact light weight stuff, be creative with indoor storage and take less stuff. Amazing what you can live without. Love that we can drive, park and turn anywhere that we could in our SUV. We never tow, but rent when we want a car/jeep for a few days. We do use the hitch for bikes on some trips. Longest trip to date is a month and never suffered from lack of stuff or too compact a space. After all, we had all the great outdoors.

When shopping for the perfect RV we could only see larger used  PCs at dealers, but the quality convinced us that the PC was the way to go.

Nicki Loth
Dillon, CO
yankeeflyer
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2014, 07:57:11 am »

Great pics of your unit and some good looking improvements!!! Cheers
gl1500

Helpful Rating: 60
________
PurchDate: May. 2014
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2551/2014
IntColor: Hickory
ExtColor: Cafe'
________

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2014, 12:48:51 pm »

One suggestion I have to increase storage space on the inside is the overhead cabinet above the couch in the slideout.  We had PC increase the depth of the cabinet to 16 inches as the original depth was not even large enough to put a normal plate in it.  The interior height is the same so it does not impact head room above the couch.  You will be surprised as to how much storage space that becomes.
     Bob

Pax

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2014, 09:03:05 pm »

That seems like a great idea.  It looks to me that the same could be accomplished over each of the twin beds in the 2552.  If the cabinets were deeper I don't think it would be a head-banging issue.

- Mike
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: