Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Battery store switch  (Read 226 times)
racephoto

Helpful Rating: 4
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: 4/1/2013
Model: 2100
ModelYear: 2008
Slide: No
________

View Profile WWW
« on: April 17, 2014, 12:14:47 pm »

Hi all,
On Friday I got 2 new Deka DC27 house batteries installed in my 2008 PC2100.  I of course always use the "Store" switch to disconnect everything when I put it back in storage.  I usually have a solar charge controller hooked up (it just clips to the batteries, not hardwired) as the old batteries were shot and would only last a couple days before they were dead.  They were the original 2008 batts so not too surprising.  I intentionally did not reconnect the solar after I got the new batteries as I wanted to see how they'd look after sitting a few days.  Well, I checked yesterday (Weds) and they were down to 12.1!!  After only 5 days?  I was not happy.  So my question is, does that "Store" switch actually disconnect everything from the batteries or is some stuff still attached?  How could I find out what might be draining them?  Even if I didn't use the Store button it seems like that's not right as everything is off.  Inverter is off (and that plug Ron found that goes to the switch is pulled), fridge is off, water heater is off, all the lights are off....  I guess it's possible I got a dud battery but they tested them right in front of me so I find that a little hard to believe.

Thanks
Gail
(edited to add pic)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 12:19:50 pm by racephoto » Logged
Pax

Helpful Rating: 40
________
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: July
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2014
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Sunlit / Cherry
ExtColor: Sunlit
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 12:39:51 pm »

Gail:

You said you checked it after 5 days, so I'm assuming you did this from the control panel.  Did you check it from the same control panel prior to storing?

- Mike
racephoto

Helpful Rating: 4
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: 4/1/2013
Model: 2100
ModelYear: 2008
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 12:47:43 pm »

Thanks for the reply.  No, I used a tester that plugs into a 12v outlet, which I plugged into the one next to the tv after turning the Store switch back on.  That's what showed 12.1v.  To double check, I hooked up the solar charge controller to the batteries & it showed 12.2.  Then I hooked the panels back up so it would recharge.  You know, I guess I didn't check them before I left....I just assumed they were fully charged when they were installed.  This could have been a bad assumption.  I guess I'll check today to see if they're fully charged which they should be, it's sunny, and then disconnect the solar again and see what happens. 
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 167
________
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 10:13:34 pm »

Hi Gail,

Our batteries don't drain down in 5 days, more like 3 to 4 weeks when using the kill switch.  That is why I now disconnect them along with the chassis battery when in storage at home.  It's inconvenient but it makes the difference.  I learned that the hard & expensive way with our first round of batteries.  I feel they could have served us twice as many years if I disconnected them when the rig sits idle for months at a time.

Actually I did practice that with our first rig.  The first chassis battery served us for 11 years, the coach battery was longer yet.  But I am not expecting those figures with the PC because we work the batteries so much harder than with the first rig.

Ron
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 10:23:37 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: