Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Storage Organization  (Read 479 times)
2 Frazzled
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 78
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: May 2013
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2013
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Sunlit & Cherry
ExtColor: Sunlit
________

View Profile
« on: April 26, 2014, 09:02:30 pm »

We've test driven a few options to organize all our "stuff" and I finally started taking pics so I can post them here. Keep in mind each little organizer takes up space and add weight on its own. Even with that in consideration, I can't stand having to move all the little bits and dig through a well mixed pile of stuff to find the one cable or device I need.

The first item up are really cool little zipper bags that I found at Walmart for $2.99 each (sometimes in the office supplies, sometimes on hangstrips in random departments - crafts, do it yourself, groceries, depends on the store). I am up to probably 10 or more of these now and love them. They measure 12" wide by 7 1/4 high. If you ever had a cloth zipper pencil pouch, this is that same pouch on steroids. Some items we store in them: RECEIPTS waiting to be entered in the computer; CAMERA bits such as extra memory card, battery charger, download cable, manual; BINOCULAR straps, cleaning cloth, etc.; GEOCACHING- GPS, pencil, notebook, ready to toss in day pack and go; LED EMERGENCY flashers; TIRE repair kit; rolls of different kinds of TAPE (little buggers liked to wander and pick up crud); RADIOS - walkie-talkies with rechargeable batteries and cables; GRANDDAUGHTER'S brush, hairbands, toothpaste, toothbrush; CAT'S brush, nail clippers, meds; etc. We tried ziplock baggies but they just weren't doing it. Now we use the sharpie to label the pouch, load her up and stuff her in the cabinet or bin. The upper cabinet with shelf behind the drivers seat has several lined up, standing on end (with a bit folded down on each). Some are in John's tool bin. All are easily grabbed when needed.

John, Holly, Chloe & Snickers (The "nanny' cat)

Plan at least three years on the road - living, laughing, working and playing in the PC.
2 Frazzled
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2014, 09:11:44 pm »

Literature / Membership - for all that paperwork, we use an old zippered pouch I had. It goes where we go. Whether in the Phoenix or Subaru, it sits next to the passenger's feet. It has two compartments. The large one easily holds a spiral notebook, full size brochures and all those little flyers and tourist stuff we pick up along the way. Campground maps also go in there. This is the temporary storage. When it gets fat, we clean it out. Keepsake papers get put away elsewhere and the rest goes in the trash or starts the campfire. The smaller pocket holds our "keeper" items that we want with us. This includes our National Park Passport book, Georgia State parks camping club (green stamp type program to get free nights), Georgia's geocaching brochure where we are collecting stamps, and a wallet holding all those membership cards: National Parks annual pass, Good Sam, CoachNet, Passport America, KOA, AAA, AARP, etc., etc., etc. John originally had them in his wallet but it was reaching critical mass so we bought a wallet just for the cards. We plan to get another fan fold insert because the wallet is already full. This keeps everything together and with us.

Plan at least three years on the road - living, laughing, working and playing in the PC.
2 Frazzled
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2014, 09:20:53 pm »

I found these "Creative Options" craft boxes at Costco then again at Michael's Crafts. They measure 14" x 14.25" (hinges) x approx 3.5" deep. They fit on the shelf in the shirt closet, the bin next to the batteries, and (tilting to get it in there) in the front cabinets over the driver's seat, and under the bed. John has two for tool type stuff, we use one for electronics (cables, tags for cables, adapters, little speakers, etc.) and one for fix it stuff (command strips, felt pads, mini-screwdriver kit, sewing kit, etc.) The one in the front cabinet with seldom used cables and such has become the new "floor" of the cabinet and we put the other stuff on top of it. They come in different colors and run about $5.00 each unless you get them at Costco in the 5 pack for $20.00. They have snap down latches that hold well.

2 Frazzled
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2014, 09:28:50 pm »

I found these at the Container Store and I admit that I wanted them first... and figured out how to use them later. I have two in the cabinet over the passenger seat with a bluetooth keyboard, portable solar charger and the remote controls. The second one holds our cable for the cable connection as we prefer to store it inside. They snug side by side, front to back along the outside wall of the cabinet and keep these items from wandering like they used to. They are lightweight and attractive and I plan to use them for service bins for fancier occasions. They would hold napkins, silverware, etc. Not shown is a shallower, double wide one that we have on the shelf in the shirt closet to hold our snack food (we swore we wouldn't allow junk food on board but there it is... in a very attractive tray). They are called Curver Neo Squares. Manufacturer is here  http://www.curver.com/usa/products/neo-square/12587 but only US seller I found is Container Store with two color choices, brown and green. The squares measure 7.75 x 7.75 x 5.5 high.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 09:31:38 pm by 2 Frazzled » Logged

2 Frazzled
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2014, 09:53:21 pm »

We have the couch instead of the dinette so during bad weather I usually work and play on the computer either sitting on the couch or on the bed. We've found the Sofa Butler works well for that. http://www.amazon.com/Storage-Dynamics-Sofa-Butler/dp/B0046V34LG It takes up a chunk of the middle of the couch but I usually have my feet angled off anyhow. If you sit straight, it can go on the side or in the middle and it tucks down next to the mattress on the bed. There are several different brands (many cheaper) but this one has a deep pocket that is about 1/2" wide at the bottom and 1" wide at the top where I can put papers, a notebook, my kindle, etc. It has two cup holders with cut outs for mug handles and a center pocket for your cell phone or remote. It's one more thing to haul and store but it is also one thing we use every single day. It does not shift or move when tucked in the couch no matter how many times I get up and down.  If the mattress is snug against the wall, it doesn't move in the bed either. We don't leave it in the bed when sleeping. The cup holders are big so little cups might rock in it. We use travel mugs so no spills there.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 10:08:19 pm by 2 Frazzled » Logged

JimDenny

Helpful Rating: -4
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: March 2010
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Brown
ExtColor: Brown
________

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2014, 02:56:28 pm »

Ah!  A logically thinking, organized type of person.  We think & organize in a similar manner.  I really like your approach ! ThumbsUp Wink exactly!
Sparky
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 39
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: 12/12
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2008
Slide: No
________

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2014, 10:38:50 am »

Love the Zipper bags, great ideal  on the buy list..... I have two large packs that I store my travel stuff in and one to store the RV stuff in...Each pack has a notebook in it...   the travel bag has a notebook indexed and so forth for stops we have made, places we have been etc.. write notes as we travel,, type them up when we get back the put them in the notebook,,, can not tell you how many times we travel the same road and want to hit a certain spot..... I also print out any reservations we have and put them in the notebook  I also keep my Flying J book in their.. If we travel in our mini van very easy to take the travel bag with us
sparky
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: