Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Replacement Backup Monitors  (Read 474 times)
GeorgeB

Helpful Rating: 5
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: Aug 2012
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2008
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Slate Gray?
ExtColor: Slate Gray?
________

View Profile
« on: April 28, 2014, 02:22:47 pm »

I'm getting ready to order a replacement backup monitor, but before I pull lthe trigger, thought I'd see if there were any opinions or suggestions.

It's a Zone Defense system.  I replaced the camera in Jan 2013, with a ZD model 313.C.  I was never happy with the monitor, but it worked somewhat better with the new camera.  Now the monitor needs replacement, just doesn't work.  (Camera connections are fine, as I did it myself, so that can't be the problem, right?  Actually, I followed several tips I found here before installing, so I really am confident in that installation.)

Emails with the Engineer at ZD results in my deciding to order the 7" M.302 monitor, but that would need a cable adapter (13-pin to 22-pin).  However, the cable in the RV is 8-pin, so it looks like I would need the 8-to-13-pin adapter, then the 13-to-22-pin adapter -- I'm still waiting for a reply from ZD on that.

I"m looking to go the simplest/least expensive route, meaning  I'd prefer to replace it myself without re-wiring the whole RV.

So any insights, suggestions or opinions would be welcome.

Thanks,

-GeorgeB

Accidental Full-Timers 8/2012-6/2013, Now Just RVers
-={carpe cervizi}=-  ...perfecting the art of procrastination...
<=-- DO NOT LOOK BELOW THIS LINE --=>
You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck
Pax

Helpful Rating: 44
________
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: July
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2014
IntColor: Sunlit / Cherry
ExtColor: Sunlit
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 09:51:53 pm »

Can't be much help, but here is the monitor installed on our PC late last year....

http://store.sony.com/a-v-monitor-zid27-XVMB62/cat-27-catid-EOL-Car-Marine

- Mike
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 177
________
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 10:32:03 am »

On the subject indirectly, Our 2007 has it's original Zone Defense system.  Our model has the "sound" feature but the last few times I tried using the sound, it gives the familiar residual noise when the volume is up, but I cannot hear real-world sounds.  I figured the microphone opening in the camera got dirty or maybe a tiny spider moved inside it, but I never could find the tiny microphone hole.  Does anyone know exactly where it is?  I really appreciate Irene's instruction through the obstacle-ridden primitive campsites we often utilize.

BTW:  We have the 5" monitor.  If it fails, I too would consider the bigger 7" monitor.  The 5" has been fine, but the 7" would be nicer.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 10:36:47 am by ron.dittmer » Logged

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
BandD

Helpful Rating: 3
________
PurchDate: 2011 Nov
IntColor: maple
ExtColor: white above blue
________

Our unit is available for viewing in Alameda, CA

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 11:56:28 am »

Hi George,

We just replaced our factory monitor by wiring the camera into our radio/GPS.  Would you like the monitor?   It's a Voyager model AOM562A, 5 1/2 inches on the diagonal.  Worked when we removed it.  It's yours if you like.

Bill

Bill Cox and Diane Puntenney
GeorgeB

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 04:03:26 pm »

Hi George,

We just replaced our factory monitor by wiring the camera into our radio/GPS.  Would you like the monitor?   It's a Voyager model AOM562A, 5 1/2 inches on the diagonal.  Worked when we removed it.  It's yours if you like.

Bill

Hi Bill,

That's a very generous offer.  Some internet searching indicates it's a good monitor.  Do you know if the connecting cables are compatible with my existing 8-pin cables, also with the Zone Defense 313.C camera?  My research didn't provide any clues.

My abilities are limited to (sometimes) replacing existing installations.  Modifying/adapting is usually outside my wheel house without a bunch of hand-holding.  (And occasional hand-wringing!  Grin  Okay, frequent.)

Let me know what you think after reading the above.

And thank you for the offer.  Just one more example of the amazing nature of the folks on this forum.

--GeorgeD

You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck
GeorgeB

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 05:15:50 pm »

I can finally close this out.  It was a struggle, but today I installed a replacement monitor.  I went with the same-sized 5-in Zone Defense monitor.  Received the final piece -- an adapter cable -- last Friday, installed it today.

To get to this point, after my last posting, I called the factory, and was referred to Ramco Engineering in Elkart.  It wasn't easy getting a call-back, but when I finally talked to a rep, they agreed that I needed to keep calling and "nagging" them for assistance.  However...

While waiting for them to reply, I tried to contact Zone Defense directly, leaving phone messages for their sales rep, but I've never heard back from them at all.  My last email correspondence with the factory is also still unanswered after several weeks.  However...

It turns out that Ramco Eng. is the U.S. Distributor for Zone Defense.  Ramco is also one of the suppliers of PC side mirrors.  Anyway, I finally settled on dealing with them.

But also in the meantime, I tried other sources found on the web, including Amazon.  I don't do Ebay, but that might have been an option if I became desperate enough.  In the end, Ramco turned out to be my best bet.

Nobody wanted to stick their neck out regarding replacing the 5-in monitor with a 7-in monitor.  For my 2008 2551, it would have required two adapter cables:  from the 7-in monitor a 13-pin to 22-pin cable (CBL.354.G), and then the 13-pin to 8-pin cable to connect to the existing coach wiring (CBL.354.C).  The factory, via Ramco, indicated it was possible, but not recommended, due to signal loss.  So all things considered (incl. age of the coach), I decided to stick with the simplest replacement.

I could have field tested the 7-in monitor and extra adapter cable, and returned it if it wasn't satisfactory.  But there would have been shipping both ways, plus a re-stocking fee.  Besides the added expense, there would have been added time.

The new monitor does have a speaker, but my best guess is that the existing wiring doesn't support the intercom (or maybe my camera doesn't have a microphone -- don't know).  If it does have one, I can't see it.

Apart from having to "nag" Ramco to get back to me on a couple of occasions, I am totally satisfied with their customer service.  Their info is in the Links and Contacts board, but note that they are also suppliers for Zone Defense camera backup systems.

Finally, we can now get back to planning our traveling...

--GeorgeB

ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 177
________
PurchDate: June 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 06:47:43 pm »

George,

I believe you and I have the same Zone Defense system with 5" monitor.  I could never find the microphone in back by the camera and so maybe you too have sound.  I would like to know if you raise the volume on your monitor, if you hear people talking behind your rig.

The sound went out on our 2007 PC and I really don't know what the problem is.  I thought if I could find the microphone in back, the opening might be clogged with a spider's nest or something similar, but I could never find the microphone back there to begin with.  It was nice to have sound, and would be nice to get it working again.

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
Doneworking

Helpful Rating: 23
________
PurchDate: September 2013
ModelYear: 2013
________

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2014, 07:19:17 pm »

We bought our PC used (for ten months) last fall and it had the standard Sony camera/monitor from the factory.  I made a big mistake.  I had purchased a wireless backup camera and 7" monitor on a one time special at Sam's Club for $79 a few years ago for our Roadtrek.  I sold the RT and the camera was included.   That little wireless camera performed flawlessly and  the monitor was clear as a HD tv.   Now, I have a smaller monitor and it is just not that clear.  The Sam's special was never repeated to my knowledge.   All this makes me wonder if I would be better off searching for a similar little unit.   Cables and connectors would not be a problem since it was wireless. 

Many people have had problems with wireless cameras working satisfactorly.  I did not.  I should have kept it.  I think I noticed on the PC pricing "Build and Price" link that the camera is about a grand.   My $79 camera was perfect.   Maybe, just maybe, I was simply lucky.
GeorgeB

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2014, 07:48:14 pm »

Hi Ron,

We probably do have the same backup system.  I tested the sound by turning the volume all the way up, didn't get any sound out of the speaker at all, not even a hissing sound (although I was exercising the generator at the time, maybe I just couldn't hear it).  The old monitor doesn't appear to have a speaker like the new one (it's in the back).

I replaced the camera last year (Apr 2013), model 313.C; I didn't see anything that made me think it might have a microphone, although according to the specs it should have one.  As I said earlier, it may have to do with 8-wire vs. 13-wire cabling.  I really don't know, just speculating.

I'm going back out to the rig later this week, I'll look at the manual and play around with the settings some more.  If I learn anything, I'll post back.

Since it appears the old monitor wasn't working very well from the get-go ("pre-owned", we purchased in 2012), I'm very happy just to have a usable monitor, and since I didn't have sound to start with, I'm not really missing it.  (We do have walkie-talkies when we need them.)  But it it's there, I'll find it, and let you know.

Doneworking:  I really looked into replacing the whole system with a wireless setup.  But I'd already invested in the new camera just a year ago, and I never saw any reviews for wireless systems that made me want to discard the new and start over.  I have no issues with wireless, but it would have taken a 6 stars out of 5 rating to get me to switch  Grin.  Obviously, I didn't find one like that.

If I decide to go wireless in the future, I would seriously consider a Zone Defense system.  They have one with a 7-in monitor.  And their systems are aimed primarily at truckers, secondarily at RVers.  I would think they would not have interference problems with all the other "stuff" in an RV (electronics, inverters, converters, satellite antennas, what-not), plus would be able to handle all those potholes out there trying to eat our rigs.  But that's just more speculating on my part.

And based on my recent research, today I would be very suspicious of a $79 wireless camera! If something sounds too good to be true...

But be sure to post when you do decide on your next system.  I'd be far more likely to trust info on the PC Forum before most reviews elsewhere, even Amazon!

--GeorgeB

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: