Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Small, quiet electric heater suggestions???  (Read 245 times)
Margie

Helpful Rating: 3
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: 10/09
Model: 2350 Sprinter
ModelYear: 2010
Slide: Yes
ExtColor: Full body paint/latte
________

View Profile
« on: August 26, 2014, 03:37:08 pm »

Hi everyone.

We are finally attempting to get our act together here and head out in a couple of weeks to the mountains.  Does anyone have a suggestion on which small, quiet, electric heater to purchase for times when we are hooked into electric at a campground?  We normally just do our boondocking but there may be times when we are in a campground with electricity available.  Thank you.

Margie
AMW

Helpful Rating: 20
________
PurchDate: July/2014
Model: 2100
ModelYear: 2015
Slide: No
IntColor: Toast
ExtColor: Sterling
________

2015 2100-stretch

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 04:09:13 pm »

Margie, I use a Vornado DVTH.  Like you, when I'm paying for electric, I don't want to use my propane for heat.  Mine are 8 years old and we used them for a few years all winter in our old house that had some cold rooms.  Now I use just one in the RV, but I use it not only for heat, but also while the AC is on in "fan" circulation mode and it really helps keep prevent that noticeable cold/hot/cold feeling when the AC cycles on and off.  It is quiet and circulates, as opposed blowing directly so it is comfortable and barely noticeable.  On the "low" heat setting it doesn't stress the 30amp load at all, but I have never had to use the "high" heat setting in such a tiny space.  It is very light and easy to stash anywhere.  It has a digital thermostat so you can set your comfort number and it keeps a pretty steady comfort zone.

I hope the current model is as good as mine are, but here is a link:
http://www.amazon.com/Vornado-Vortex-Automatic-Climate-Control/dp/B00063ZVK0

No idea what prices might be elsewhere, but I think I paid more for mine.

Ann W.
Barry-Sue
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 324
________
PurchDate: 10/17/11
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 08:14:10 pm »

Margie,
We use a Lasko model 5409.  It is an oscillating unit and very quiet.  It has a thermostat and a fan only mode.  We use it instead of the furnace and it keeps the RV nice and warm. 
Sue

Barry and Sue 
Current   2012 2551 w/Slide
Previous 2008 2350 w/Slide
Pax

Helpful Rating: 47
________
PurchDate: July
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2014
IntColor: Sunlit / Cherry
ExtColor: Sunlit
________

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 10:12:06 am »

Margie:

We have a tiny Pelonis unit which does a great job. It can really crank out some heat for its size.
Pelonis Honeycomb Ceramic Disc Furnace - Model PF-1212  (1500W variable, 5A min draw, 12.5A max continuous draw, 5200 btus, $65 @ Amazon, auto/man, heat/fan/off, adjustable thermostat, overheat protection, safety tip-over switch, 6-3/4h x 5-3/4w x 5-1/4d)

Obviously with heaters you need to watch the amp draw as it relates to what source you have (20, 30 or 50 amp campground power....or generator) and what other devices you are using in the rig.

With many heaters the amperage is determined by the setting on a switch (low, medium, high). On this Pelonis unit the amp draw and heat provided is determined by the variable thermostat and current ambient temperature, meaning it will draw a lot if the rig is cold and you have the thermostat way up, but then as the rig heats up the amp draw goes down. 

If you are looking for tiny, they don't get any smaller than this I don't think.  Love the ceramic disc feature, for efficiency and safety too.

- Mike
Doneworking

Helpful Rating: 26
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: September 2013
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2013
________

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 01:17:42 pm »

I have used Vornado heaters for a couple of decades now and they are really great.  The cyclonic circulation of the heat makes all the difference in the world in whole room comfort.  Alas, like Pelonis and I guess all the others, they are no longer manufactured in the US.  Originally, they were built right outside of  Wichita, Kansas and were of the highest standards.   Now:  China just like all the rest. 

So, if you ever find an old one at a yard, garage or estate sale buy it!
Margie

Helpful Rating: 3
________
PurchDate: 10/09
Model: 2350 Sprinter
ModelYear: 2010
ExtColor: Full body paint/latte
________

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 04:04:18 pm »

Thank you so much to everyone who responded about your choice for a small, quiet, electric heater.  This group is the best!!

Happy travels,
Margie
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: