Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Converting Fluorescent To LED Just By Changing Bulbs  (Read 1287 times)
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 174
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« on: May 20, 2014, 05:45:13 pm »

Hi All,

I was wondering if there are LED bulbs available that are direct replacements for the fluorescent light bulbs in our PC.  I am not even sure replacements exist for our specific 12V light fixtures.  I really don't want to change the fixtures, just the bulbs.  I am hoping to have equivalent lumens and reduce power consumption to use our interior lighting more generously.  I also hope to change the ambiance from the fluorescent blue to a soft-white as some LEDs bulbs advertise.

In my research, I found something that "might" work, but is over $16 per light bulb +shipping, and not sure of the brightness and color tone.  The website states it uses 5.8 watts which is surprisingly high for LED lighting.  I think the fluorescent tubes are 8 watts.

Has anyone here researched this?  Anyone try these?  All experience is welcomed.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 05:58:42 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
Big Green Machine

Helpful Rating: 1
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: 02/22/14
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2011
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Sage and Beige
ExtColor: Green, Full body
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 09:34:24 am »

I talked to our dealer about replacement bulbs, & he showed me a bunch of optional bulbs. Basically they are in all of the RV catalogs. I replaced the one in the  dining area with a new LED fixture, @ $65, but it does make a difference. The main thing I wanted to do is replace the small bulbs in our fixtures with LEDs. I think he gave me prices of about $5 per bulb.

2011 PC-2551 w/ slide.
Rich, Bonnie, & Cricket.
Unit available for showing anytime!
Doneworking

Helpful Rating: 18
________
PurchDate: September 2013
ModelYear: 2013
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2014, 09:35:28 pm »

I have wondered about the same thing:  changing those to LEDs.  Here is another possibility on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Cabin-Bright-8-12-Fluorescent-Replacement/dp/B00CWMQKMQ/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1400981432&sr=8-8&keywords=led+replacement+for+flourescent+tubes
lghjr
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 39
________
OwnPC: No
PurchDate: Used to own a 2700
Model: 2700
________

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 11:43:19 pm »

Our retired folks cafe is replacing the 48"s as needed and I am pretty impressed with the light output.
racephoto

Helpful Rating: 4
________
PurchDate: 4/1/2013
Model: 2100
ModelYear: 2008
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2014, 12:11:29 pm »

I don't know...I wish there was a cheaper drop-in replacement too.  I bought a strip of LED lights to convert the existing fixtures like you see on youtube......unfortunately the ones in the PC do not come apart anywhere near as easily as the ones in the video.  I've gotten one done so far and it was not easy.  I did replace the ones under the cabinets over the couch & dinette with this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Gold-Stars-F3528002-Fixture-Natural/dp/B00CZEZNGU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1401552493&sr=8-1&keywords=rv+led+lights

It's smaller and not as classy as I'd like, but it is bright and I like the option of having one or both bulbs on.
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2014, 04:47:50 pm »

Interesting!  It seems that a drop-in florescent style LED tube is not a favorable solution.

The "Cabin Bright" product yields good results, but appears to be an installation challenge, and consumes more power than I hoped.  If they were $10 a piece, I'd try one before a full investment.  But at $32 ($43 for more light) a piece considering every fixture in the cabin, I can't see investing that kind of money.

I feel they should have used white insulated wire as not to see the wires through the translucent fixture when turned off.

An interesting comparison to florescent.

Here is the purchased product. (18" two bulb conversion example given)

Here is the installation.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 05:05:34 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2014, 11:46:31 am »

Well I will soon be testing the waters on converting my PC florescent fixtures to LED.  My goal is to do it right and do it cheap.  After much research, I ordered a 5 meter reel of LED lighting that can be cut to length.  Here is the reel.

Our 2007 2350 has 9 florescent fixtures anticipating the reel will be enough for all.  I hope to achieve the following.
- reduce power consumption from 16 watts to 5.4 watts per fixture
- change from the florescent blue color to a soft warm white tone
- offer the same light intensity of 800 lumens per fixture
- utilizing the original fixtures means all mountings and screw holes are unchanged with no scars in the ceiling or elsewhere
- total investment for all 9 fixtures will be only $12.05

It will involve a significant amount of fixture modification but our fixtures are constructed to handle the modification well.  Everything florescent including sockets, unclip out making it clean to install the LED light strips and wire them up.  The new strips are 12v so it will be a simple soldering of 2 red and 2 black wires to the switch, and then from there to the PC wire tail with wire nuts.  I will need to experiment to determine the best surface within the fixture to stick on the 2 LED strips (one per florescent bulb position).  Our fixtures provide 3 surface options, straight down, 45 degree outward, and 45 degree inward.

My LED selection  HERE was based on THIS information which I summerized below.
- the LED number is the physical size of the LED  ex: 5050 = 5mm x 5mm
- older LED technology (5050 and 3528) consume more power
- older LED 5050 chips have 3 leds inside it, 3528 has only one
- newer technology LEDs 3020 and 3014 offer more lumens with less power

After I get one light fixture done right, I will document the process.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 12:09:38 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2014, 07:30:24 am »

I removed the light fixture over the kitchen sink and removed all of the florescent electrical content simply by unclipping and unsnapping things off.  I did have to use a soldering iron to remove the circuit board because of the way the on/off switch pierced through it from behind.  Everything could easily be reassembled back to "original" if my lighting conversion is not satisfactory.

Though the reel of LEDs have not yet arrived, I got a jump start on this because I am locating a replacement switch from a single click to a double click.  Center being "off", one direction being full lighting.  The other being only a tiny strip of LEDs for mood/night lighting.

Here are the dimensions I need to find a physically same size replacement 3-way switch.  They are sold very cheap on ebay, 10 for $6.00 but they are not stating dimensions.   Cry

ENGLISH DIMENSIONS
Switch Body - 0.73" x 0.48"
Switch Escutcheon Plate - 0.82" x 0.59"
White Switch Plate Opening (for body) - 0.75" x 0.51"
Lens Opening (for escutcheon plate) - 0.835" x 0.60"

METRIC DIMENSIONS
Switch Body - 18.5mm x 12mm
Switch Escutcheon Plate - 21mm x 15mm
White Switch Plate Opening (for body) - 19mm x 13mm
Lens Opening (for escutcheon plate) - 21.2mm x 15.2mm

« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 07:51:44 am by ron.dittmer » Logged

ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2014, 04:16:09 pm »

During lunch today, I bought a package of 20 drop-in replacement 3-way switches off Ebay HERE for $8.34 including shipping.  They spec'd the same dimensions as my original switches...Yippie!  This means converting my florescent lights to LED and integrate additional LED mood/night lights for less than $2.00 per light fixture.  And seemingly easy to do.  I look forward to receiving the LED reel and switches so I can get started.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 04:27:45 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2014, 05:52:40 pm »

While in my power-reduction mode, I will also be replacing my conventional incandescent light bulbs in the stove hood, closet, shower, outdoor storage compartment, porch & Sanicon fixtures.  
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 04:17:12 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

AMW

Helpful Rating: 7
________
PurchDate: July/2014
Model: 2100
ModelYear: 2015
IntColor: Toast
ExtColor: Sterling
________

2015 2100-stretch

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2014, 07:44:44 am »

Ron, I'm very excited to see how your project turns out.  I retrofitted my old ClassA with the push in LED bulbs, but never could figure out how to change the fluorescents in the ceiling.  Even though my PC is new with all LED lighting (and the fixtures are very nice), the ceiling fixtures are too bright for evening lighting.  Right now I'm turning them off in the evening and turning on the four "reading" spot lights pointed at the wall, but that's not quite what I want either.  I am planning to add some softer, warm white, LED ambient light but haven't figured out what I want to do yet.  I'm considering a cove channel along the top edge of my upper cabinets with a strip LED like the one you are buying, angled to shine up on the ceiling, hidden by the cove.  Like under cabinet lighting, but upside down.  Also have to figure out a switch and dimmer, and I'm looking at the ones at www.inspiredled.com.  I used their products to add ceiling lights to my E-350 van and the quality is good.

Ann W.
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2014, 07:35:00 pm »

The LED spool just arrived today.  I quickly powered them up to a 12v battery to confirm the tone is a warmer white color.  I will likely wait until the switches arrive before diving in.

It seems you could simply adhere the strip of LEDs to the back side of bottom cabinet lips to offer a very tasteful lighting condition.  The lights would shine down and to the adjacent wall, but not directly inward.  You'd need to dress the wiring to them.

ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2014, 03:41:20 pm »

While waiting for my 3-way switches to arrive, I researched replacing my incandescent porch and closet fixture style light bulbs.  I have 2 outdoor, 3 indoor, and one in the stove hood.  I purchased 6 of the following off Amazon.

Details can be reviewed by Google-searching:
3x 1156 1141 1003 BA15S RV LED Light Bulb, Cone Shaped, 2 Watts, 240 Lumen, 10-30V DC, Warm White 3000K, 2-Pack  

Supposedly sealed like a regular light bulb, good for the porch, Sanicon, & shower lights that can get wet.  None of the fixtures are weather tight.

1/10th the power but has same color tone and lumens, though not in the direction of the socket

I selected the same color tone as the original bulbs, the color to the left.
It should match the other LED lighting I am converting over to.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 03:45:08 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2014, 11:21:48 pm »

I received everything so I spent all day Saturday converting all 9 florescent light fixtures to LED.  I bought 3-way switches of the same exact size as the original switches so they snap right in without modifying the fixture.  The center position is  off.  The forward position turns on the two main LED strips.  The Rearward position turns on a tiny 3 LED strip for a night/mood light.  We feel the LED conversion turned out fantastic.  The old florescent lights made the interior feel a bit cold with the dark cherry cabinets.  Now everything is brighter but not too bright, and has a warmer look & feel and should also be much more energy efficient.  The mood/night lights are a very nice addition.  They seem great to have on when watching a movie or just a relaxing evening.  Turning on a particular one makes the perfect night light for our corner bed floor plan.  I can see a night light will also be welcomed in our bathroom for those times at night when you have to go but don't want to be blinded by the main light.

I hope to get some pictures taken soon to share.

I don't want to recommend this LED conversion until I have tested them.  I work with very technical electrical engineers with all kinds of electronic equipment.  I am bringing one extra LED strip to work and have them measure power usage.  One thing that has me a bit concerned is that the LEDs run warm to the touch.   One of my other concerns is the adhesive backing that attaches the LED strips to the original fixtures.  The bond seems excellent, but time and temperature will tell if the bond is permanent.  I did wipe clean the fixture surfaces with rubbing alcohol to assure a clean surface to bond to.

I also installed the sealed LED lght bulbs in the shower, closet, and outdoor storage compartment.  They offer a bit less, but still plenty of light.  I think the porch light and Sanicon light are the same or a bit brighter than before given the original incandescent bulbs in those two fixtures were smaller than the other fixtures.

One other point to make about the porch light.  When the motor home was full-body painted, a lot of overspray got inside the fixture which does not reflect light.  I tried cleaning off the overspray with lacquer thinner but it had no effect.  I am thinking of installing a thin sheet of aluminum for reflectivity.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 09:09:36 am by ron.dittmer » Logged

Pax

Helpful Rating: 44
________
PurchDate: July
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2014
IntColor: Sunlit / Cherry
ExtColor: Sunlit
________

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2014, 12:02:18 am »

Neat project, Ron!  We have cherry cabinets as well and I might take a look at those LED's.  One difference in our rigs I think, is ours came with three way switches....bright, low and off.

- Mike
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print

Jump to: