Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Converting Fluorescent To LED Just By Changing Bulbs  (Read 552 times)
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 167
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« on: May 20, 2014, 05:45:13 pm »

Hi All,

I was wondering if there are LED bulbs available that are direct replacements for the fluorescent light bulbs in our PC.  I am not even sure replacements exist for our specific 12V light fixtures.  I really don't want to change the fixtures, just the bulbs.  I am hoping to have equivalent lumens and reduce power consumption to use our interior lighting more generously.  I also hope to change the ambiance from the fluorescent blue to a soft-white as some LEDs bulbs advertise.

In my research, I found something that "might" work, but is over $16 per light bulb +shipping, and not sure of the brightness and color tone.  The website states it uses 5.8 watts which is surprisingly high for LED lighting.  I think the fluorescent tubes are 8 watts.

Has anyone here researched this?  Anyone try these?  All experience is welcomed.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 05:58:42 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
Big Green Machine

Helpful Rating: 1
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: 02/22/14
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2011
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Sage and Beige
ExtColor: Green, Full body
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 09:34:24 am »

I talked to our dealer about replacement bulbs, & he showed me a bunch of optional bulbs. Basically they are in all of the RV catalogs. I replaced the one in the  dining area with a new LED fixture, @ $65, but it does make a difference. The main thing I wanted to do is replace the small bulbs in our fixtures with LEDs. I think he gave me prices of about $5 per bulb.

2011 PC-2551 w/ slide.
Rich, Bonnie, & Cricket.
Unit available for showing anytime!
Doneworking

Helpful Rating: 16
________
PurchDate: September 2013
ModelYear: 2013
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2014, 09:35:28 pm »

I have wondered about the same thing:  changing those to LEDs.  Here is another possibility on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Cabin-Bright-8-12-Fluorescent-Replacement/dp/B00CWMQKMQ/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1400981432&sr=8-8&keywords=led+replacement+for+flourescent+tubes
lghjr
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 38
________
OwnPC: No
PurchDate: Used to own a 2700
Model: 2700
________

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 11:43:19 pm »

Our retired folks cafe is replacing the 48"s as needed and I am pretty impressed with the light output.
racephoto

Helpful Rating: 4
________
PurchDate: 4/1/2013
Model: 2100
ModelYear: 2008
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2014, 12:11:29 pm »

I don't know...I wish there was a cheaper drop-in replacement too.  I bought a strip of LED lights to convert the existing fixtures like you see on youtube......unfortunately the ones in the PC do not come apart anywhere near as easily as the ones in the video.  I've gotten one done so far and it was not easy.  I did replace the ones under the cabinets over the couch & dinette with this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Gold-Stars-F3528002-Fixture-Natural/dp/B00CZEZNGU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1401552493&sr=8-1&keywords=rv+led+lights

It's smaller and not as classy as I'd like, but it is bright and I like the option of having one or both bulbs on.
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 167
________
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: June 2007
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2014, 04:47:50 pm »

Interesting!  It seems that a drop-in florescent style LED tube is not a favorable solution.

The "Cabin Bright" product yields good results, but appears to be an installation challenge, and consumes more power than I hoped.  If they were $10 a piece, I'd try one before a full investment.  But at $32 ($43 for more light) a piece considering every fixture in the cabin, I can't see investing that kind of money.

I feel they should have used white insulated wire as not to see the wires through the translucent fixture when turned off.

An interesting comparison to florescent.

Here is the purchased product. (18" two bulb conversion example given)

Here is the installation.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 05:05:34 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: