Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Electric water heater  (Read 633 times)
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 168
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: 11/11/11
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2012
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« on: June 04, 2010, 08:49:03 am »

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if the electric water heater is hooked into the inverter? If I turn on the electric switch, will it heat the water from the batteries?
    There are two reasons I ask this question. 1. Will it run down the house batteries while parked?  Cry  2. Can I heat the water while driving?  ThumbsUp

Thank you in advance,
Tom

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
NC Sailors

Helpful Rating: 19
________
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 11:47:51 am »

The 120 V heating element operates only when you are connected to shore power or are running the generator. The heating element would quickly drain your batteries if it were wired to the inverter. The propane burner on the heater is for use when you are not on shore power or running the generator. You can use the propane side when you are driving or dry camping. The propane heater requires 12 V from the coach to operate its igniter and control circuits whether on 120 V or 12 V.

When 120V is available, you can run the electric and propane heaters to heat the water faster!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ (\_ ~ (\_ ~ (\_~ ~ ~ ~
lghjr
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 38
________
OwnPC: No
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: Used to own a 2700
Model: 2700
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: Yes
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 07:02:21 pm »

I would be careful about using the propane on the water heater when driving.  I inadvertently did that once on a trailer and the heat from the exhaust marked the side of the trailer.  That was in the 80's so maybe the routing of exhaust has been improved with time.
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 167
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 03:31:06 am »

Reviewing and adding.....

Hot water heaters opperate 2 or 3 different ways, depending on the model of the hot water heater.

1) 110V from shore power or generator (may also use 12v for electronic support)

2) propane to heat the water and 12v for electronic support

3) from the main vehicle engine, anti-freeze running through the hot water heater

We special ordered a 2007-2350.  The 2007 brochure stated a 3-way hot water heater, but we got a 2-way.  I never did question that, though I should have.  Now years later, I am glad I have a 2-way hot water heater for mechanical simplicity.  Having heater hoses from the V10 engine running back there would be a plumbing mess.

On our trips, we rarely have shore power and minimally run the generator, so we don't have hot water available all the time.  We usually heat the water with propane, sometimes when driving.  So far no issues from the heater's exhaust.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 03:38:56 am by ron.dittmer » Logged

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: