Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Awning Leak  (Read 269 times)
Barry-Sue
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 319
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: 10/17/11
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2012
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« on: May 23, 2014, 05:00:35 pm »

We have the electric awning on our 2012 2551 and it works fine.  This winter in Florida we were in some heavy rain and high winds (more than 2" per hour) and experienced water running down the wall next to the door.  This was the first time we had a leak in this area.  The next day we found the power wire for the awning was the source of the leak.  I was able to use some silicone to make a temporary repair and stop the leak for the most part.  The repair worked but it did not look very good and I'm not sure how long it would work.  

When we got home I finished the repair.  I used a 1 1/2 " diameter rubber washed with 5/16" hole and slit one side of the washer so it would go over the wire.  I covered the back of the washer with silicone (a little extra around the 5/16" hole) and put it in place.  There is now a good seal around the cable, the repair looks much neater and it should last a long time.

Barry

Barry and Sue 
Current   2012 2551 w/Slide
Previous 2008 2350 w/Slide
skipper

Helpful Rating: 18
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: 08/13
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2013
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Tan
ExtColor: Gold
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 11:17:07 am »

There was no sealant on the awning wiring penetration on our 2552 either and I found some damp underlayment by the passenger seat.  I don't know if the awning mounting gear is the cause, but it seems to be the most likely suspect.  I dabbed sealant around the exposed wire penetration as it looks like any water falling down the awning mount channel would ride the wire into the coach.  Your fix looks much more professional. 

Based on the comments of another owner, I also dropped the bottom wedge out and found the 3 sheet metal screws holding it in place are not weather sealed either.  I put sealant on these screws too.  You can reach the bottom screws as the wedge is hollow.  I dabbed some sealant on the stern side wedge of the awning too figuring if water is getting in the bow side, it's probably getting in the stern side as well.  Mark

Mark
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: