Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2008
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Cherry / Gray
ExtColor: Gray full paint
________

View Profile
« on: June 01, 2014, 07:04:05 am »

I've just been thinking.  As everyone else,  I would like more storage.  So I was wondering if the twin beds on the driver's or passenger's side, in a 2551, could have a hinged top and acquire storage underneath the bed like the 2552's ?  Or a small door added from the side.
Has anyone attempted such a thing?  I don't know what's under the beds to possibly gain storage room. 
Barry-Sue
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 313
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: 10/17/11
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 07:32:46 am »

On our 2012 2551, the twin bed is already hinged.  We had the factory add two storage doors underneath and then we added a third ourselves.  There is all storage under that bed.  The  passenger side bed is completely taken up by the fresh water tank, furnace, inverter/converter, water pump etc... so there is little to no room.
I would call the factory and see how the 2008 is set up differently.

Barry and Sue 
Current   2012 2551 w/Slide
Previous 2008 2350 w/Slide
GeorgeB

Helpful Rating: 5
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: Aug 2012
IntColor: Slate Gray?
ExtColor: Slate Gray?
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 04:15:33 pm »

We have a 2008 2551/s.  The area under the passenger-side bed has the furnace towards the rear, some plumbing up to the kitchen area, ducting, and two drawers towards the front.  The layout precludes reclaiming any additional storage space (at least to justify the amount of labor for the tiny amount of additional space).

Under the driver's side bed is the water pump and storage tank, one cupboard with a door next to the bathroom.  I don't remember what is forward of the water storage tank (which all by itself is troublesome!), but I don't remember any usable space.  Our inverter and control panel are under the refrigerator.  Again, not much in the way of reclaimable space.

Since we don't shower every day, we have a couple plastic tubs that are easy to move in and out of the shower stall.

It's been quite some time since I looked at the YouTube videos of construction of a PC (a 2551, maybe?, from around 2008), but you might watch them to see if they're of any use (if you're in a hurry, I think Part 2 might be the most relevant):

PC Construction Video
Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFzp9HxYYzc

Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7z08jW5tKo

Part 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Di7W0vvZbU

Hope that helps a little,

--GeorgeB

Accidental Full-Timers 8/2012-6/2013, Now Just RVers
-={carpe cervizi}=-  ...perfecting the art of procrastination...
<=-- DO NOT LOOK BELOW THIS LINE --=>
You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck
NLK

Helpful Rating: 15
________
PurchDate: August 2010
________

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 08:35:34 am »

I was wishing and hoping to find some "hidden space".  I guess one of those swing out StowAways might be something for me to look into.   ThankYou
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 183
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 09:07:58 am »

I was wishing and hoping to find some "hidden space".  I guess one of those swing out StowAways might be something for me to look into.   ThankYou

Watch which way it swings. It may block the PC rear compartment and/or the ladder.

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
BGolden

Helpful Rating: 20
________
PurchDate: January 2008
Model: 2350 Ford
Slide: No
IntColor: Maple/Beige
ExtColor: White
________

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2014, 11:53:25 am »

I have the Stow Away swing box on my 2350...They have extensions that allow the box to swing out so that rear trunk door opens freely.  As for the ladder I removed the pivots and replaced them with push pins allowing the ladder to fold up and secured with a bungee cord.  If you like I can post pictures of this setup.

BGolden

Bill and Karen Golden
NLK

Helpful Rating: 15
________
PurchDate: August 2010
________

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2014, 08:31:08 am »

Thanks for the hints on the StowAway.  This forum is always so helpful.
racephoto

Helpful Rating: 4
________
PurchDate: 4/1/2013
Model: 2100
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2014, 11:49:51 am »

Depending how much room you need and how important the stuff is you're storing, a hitch platform might be another option.  I couldn't justify the weight or expense of a Stowaway so I bought a lightweight aluminum hitch carrier and a waterproof cargo bag.  It's really a perfect combo for me.  If I ever absolutely needed that extra length back, and I almost did last week in a REALLY tight parking situation at a music festival, I could remove it all and stash it in the shower temporarily.  

This is the bag:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GA2HKQY

And this is the carrier:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004QEKG8C
I got the one with the folding shank but I'm not using the folding part.  It seemed like a good idea at the time but when I installed it I decided the added length & instability with the folding shank really wasn't worth it.  I still have it if I ever change my mind, as has been known to happen.  :-)  I got this on sale before Christmas so it was only @ $75

I initially bought a HUGE bag for it.  
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005CVZOPS
It was too big.  I couldn't move the ladder & get into the storage if it was full.  The smaller one is perfect.  

It hadn't been installed yet in this pic but I got a Plate-saver frame & mounted my license plate on the carrier.  Also, there's more space in the bag, the boxes are 12" high and the bag is 18".  So it does expand to be a little taller than shown.

The thing I like about this setup is it's flexible.  I can carry an item bigger than the carrier or bag if I need to.  If I need it off for whatever reason, it's a moderate pain but doable. The bag & carrier together weigh about 20# so easily movable.  If I need to put bigger items in the bag than the boxes allow I can yank out the boxes & fold them up again.  If they get dirty or wet buy new ones, they're less than a buck apiece.  Downsides are, it's not for expensive stuff as it's not lockable.  Also, while it hasn't leaked yet, I'm not putting stuff in that won't survive a few drops of water.  As time goes on I might find some plastic tubs that fit but it's not a priority.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 01:23:19 pm by racephoto » Logged
BGolden

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2014, 06:06:32 pm »

My Stow Away

Bill and Karen Golden
BGolden

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2014, 06:07:26 pm »

Grin

Bill and Karen Golden
BGolden

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2014, 06:09:24 pm »

Grin

Bill and Karen Golden
BGolden

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2014, 06:18:09 pm »

with hitch extension    Cheers

Bill and Karen Golden
skipper

Helpful Rating: 17
________
PurchDate: 08/13
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2013
IntColor: Tan
ExtColor: Gold
________

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2014, 09:26:26 pm »

I did the same thing as Racephoto, but went with a bigger platform (24x60 [pro series]) with the big bag (24x60x24 [etrailer]).  This worked great for chairs, an x pen for the dogs, dog crates, a grooming table, outdoor rug, firewood, etc.  It worked good until it rained and the rain found a way in through the folds which defeated the whole purpose of the bag.  So I build a 55"x 24"x 20" plywood box cut low (16")against the rv so I can access the rv storage.  The bag fits around the box, is rigid, and life is good.  I estimate the storage weighs about 60-70# empty.  Mark

Mark
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: