Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: valve extenders and tire pressure monitoring system  (Read 282 times)
rfriedkin

Helpful Rating: 1
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: February, 2013
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2013
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Maple
ExtColor: Brown
________

View Profile
« on: June 02, 2014, 11:22:39 pm »

I had included this in a discussion of my generator problem ( my fault) and also mentioned valve extenders and tire pressure monitors. The good suggestion was made that I start a new topic so here it is. I'd like to hear about your experiences with valve extenders and tire pressure monitors, since there seems to be some differences of opinion about both. Thanks in advance. This forum and the factory have all been as helpful as I could have hoped for.

Dick Friedkin et al. ThankYou
bobander
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 133
________
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: April 2010
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2010
IntColor: Classic Umber
ExtColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 01:24:53 am »

Hi Dick,

I too am interested in this subject.  My 2010 PC came with the flexible tire extensions on the rear duallys.  After 30,000 miles they have worked perfectly, never leaked.  I did have to redo the pop rivets holding the angle brackets to the wheel covers as the rivets were working loose.  They do make checking tire pressure very easy, and looks like they could easily support pressure monitors as long as the pop rivets are holding tight.

On another RV forum, there are strong opinions expressed that these flexible extensions are a problem and should be replaced with solid extenders such as the Tire Man brand.  The claim is that the wheel cover can rub through the extension causing a leak.  A few weeks ago I was passing through Ridgecrest CA where Tire Man is located and I stopped in to check them out.  It is a one man shop run by Chuck and he was very friendly and I spent a bit of time with him while he showed me how he makes the extenders and examples mounted on various wheel types.  The issue I have is that the extenders barely stick through the holes in the wheels and would be harder to check pressure.  Also you have to make sure your tire shop knows how to install them and can change tires on a wheel with a 7 inch stem sticking out.

So, I am thinking I will stay with the flexible extenders when I replace my tires as they seem to work great for me.  I think that the issue of the wheel cover rubbing through the extension can be overcome by careful inspection periodically and by use of pressure monitors.  When I replace the tires I will be sure that the extensions are tightened securely on the valve stems and maybe add a drop of removable threadlocker.  My only question is should I buy new flexible extensions or reuse the old ones when replacing the tires.

It will be interesting to hear other PC owner's experiences and opinions and see if there have been any leaking problems, hope not as I don't want to have to rethink my decision.

Bob A

2010  PC 2551
ragoodsp

Helpful Rating: 38
________
PurchDate: May 5, 2012
Model: 3100
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: cafe
ExtColor: cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 09:49:33 am »

I have had flexible extenders on several motorhomes with zero issues. But... i just had the Michelin recall done (Feb.) and found both inner tires flat one morning post the new tires being installed.  I  figured they were just poorly installed and really put the pliers onto them.  One has held air but the other one has subsequently gone flat again.  I have ordered new more expensive extenders to see how they work.   It is a real pain without them so need to install something. 
bobander
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 133
________
PurchDate: April 2010
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2010
IntColor: Classic Umber
ExtColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 11:22:45 am »

I have had flexible extenders on several motorhomes with zero issues. But... i just had the Michelin recall done (Feb.) and found both inner tires flat one morning post the new tires being installed.  I  figured they were just poorly installed and really put the pliers onto them.  One has held air but the other one has subsequently gone flat again.  I have ordered new more expensive extenders to see how they work.   It is a real pain without them so need to install something. 

Are you able to reach the inner wheel stem to tighten the extension without removing the outer?

What did you order and keep us posted on how you like them.

Your experience makes me want to order new extensions when I replace the tires.

Bob A

2010  PC 2551
bhgareau

Helpful Rating: 7
________
PurchDate: 05/12
Model: 2400 Ford
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: dusk
ExtColor: sterling
________

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 01:21:21 pm »

I have had the inner valve extension work loose and result in a slow leak as well as another one wear thru due to rubbing against the wheel cover. An earlier post recommended using some type of "hold tight" substance to keep the extension securely on the valve. I have purchased replacement flexible extensions from PC factory (cheaper than Amazon) and used a tiny drop of loctite to secure them and wrapped them with electrical tape at points where wear could occur. We travel a lot of rough roads so not sure our experience is typical.

lghjr
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 39
________
OwnPC: No
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: Used to own a 2700
Model: 2700
ModelYear: 2007
________

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2014, 02:57:31 pm »

I have had the rubber seal in the extender become stuck on the valve stem and not stay in the extender and get knocked off and lay on the ground until I found it and wondered where it came from. Flat tire then made me rethink reusing extenders but check the seal is in place solves that most times.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: