Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Best paper maps  (Read 691 times)
BuffaloRose

Helpful Rating: 6
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: 3/3/2014
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2010
Slide: Yes
________

Earl & Rose

View Profile
« on: June 06, 2014, 04:37:28 pm »

We have always supplemented our gps and Microsoft Streets&Trips with paper maps from AAA.  This year we didn't renew AAA so are looking for state highway maps for our Fall trip to Acadia NP, preferably free or inexpensive. I know we can stop at welcome centers but we like to review our route in advance.  Do you purchase Rand McNally?  Visited a couple of official state tourism sites but at least two states did not offer a mail option for paper highway maps. 

BuffaloRose
gradygal
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 89
________
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: March 2012
Model: 2910
ModelYear: 2013
IntColor: cherry
ExtColor: slate gray full body paint
________

our 3rd PC--Custom 2910

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2014, 05:42:04 pm »

If you call the Maine Department of Tourism--207-623-0363 or email them at www.mainetourism.com, they will send you out a map as well as their Camping Guide and their publication: "Maine Invites You". I called and got all of the above in a couple of weeks.

We use tje FMCA atlas as well and we also have the Walmart Atlas.

Hope you enjoy your trip. We are leaving on the 16th for Massachusetts and Maine.

Judi

Judi and George Nicholson
Punta Gorda FL
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 190
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2014, 05:45:16 pm »

We just use the GPS and enjoy the adventure. It does take us a different way sometimes, but that is the fun of exploring new places.

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
Denny & Barb

Helpful Rating: 26
________
PurchDate: 4-08-2012
IntColor: cafe
ExtColor: cafe
________

Medicine Bow, Wy.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2014, 07:01:07 pm »

I like Tom's comment.  My new GPS is the nexus 7 running copilot app and then using Allstays app for campgrounds.  And any variations in our itinerary is pure adventure!

Your Word or Lord is a light to my feet and a lantern to my path...  Ps 119
2 Frazzled
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 81
________
PurchDate: May 2013
IntColor: Sunlit & Cherry
ExtColor: Sunlit
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2014, 07:04:00 pm »

Oh no, Tom, not you too! We get in some of those creative out of the way places and John's comment while pointing to the GPS is "She told me to".

Oh well, at least he spends the drive arguing with HER instead of with me. Plus I get to save the day after she gets us lost. Handy dandy Google Maps on my phone has bailed us out time and again... but when it comes time to find our way again, he always go back to his first love - the GPS.

John, Holly, Chloe & Snickers (The "nanny' cat)

Plan at least three years on the road - living, laughing, working and playing in the PC.
BGolden

Helpful Rating: 23
________
PurchDate: January 2008
ModelYear: 2008
Slide: No
IntColor: Maple/Beige
ExtColor: White
________

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2014, 07:35:15 pm »

Buffalo Rose,  have you tried printing your map from MS Streets and Trips. It will give you several options. One option is exactly like a trip tik.  For  States I use the Rand McNally Truck Guide.  But as gradygal said Walmart Atlas will work just fine.

Bill G

Bill and Karen Golden
Carol

Helpful Rating: 3
________
PurchDate: July 2014
ModelYear: 2015
IntColor: Greystone with Sterling Leather
ExtColor: Sterling simplified
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2014, 09:45:11 am »

I LOVE paper.  For my upcoming trip from VA to Elkhart, then on to TX, I've used good old Rand McNally Road Atlas from good old Walmart ($6.97) to pick out the major routes and directions.  Then I go to the state maps in the Atlas to pick out the smaller roads and refine.  For getting down to the nitty gritty of interchanges and areas I can't tell what's going on on the paper version, I use google maps to pull up the detail I need... then I write all my notes down on paper, which have I mentioned I love? 

I tip my hat to you adventurous souls who rely on a GPS lady to tell you where to go!  Wow!  That's like Miss Serendipity meets the 21st Century.  Awesome!  Cheers

Happy Trails--
Carol

TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 190
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2014, 10:07:15 am »

You gals must remember that us guys have been in trainning for many years, myself I have been married for 45 years. So having a women's GPS voice telling us what to do can be kind of comforting. I tried switching to the male voice but it was not the same.

Yes I too look up our route before hand on google earth. It is nice to pick out places to see along the way, if we happen by there. Don't tell my wife because she thinks I have this wonderful ability to find these interesting places by magic.  Grin

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
2 Frazzled
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 81
________
PurchDate: May 2013
IntColor: Sunlit & Cherry
ExtColor: Sunlit
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2014, 02:40:02 pm »

Tom, a friend of ours downloaded Sean Connery as his GPS voice. He is young and just getting into that woman trained thing so he thought it was really cool to have James Bond tell him where to go. And James Bond always gets the girl and wins in the end so you can trust him to eventually bring you through, albeit there may be some great adventures before you get there. Just make sure the girl you get is the one you're married to.

John, Holly, Chloe & Snickers (The "nanny' cat)

Plan at least three years on the road - living, laughing, working and playing in the PC.
Denny & Barb

________
PurchDate: 4-08-2012
IntColor: cafe
ExtColor: cafe
________

Medicine Bow, Wy.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2014, 09:36:57 pm »

Tom, ur a blast as my wife also thinks I pull rabbits out of the hat stopping at interesting sights on the fly.  But  Honestly u know its careful planning.

Your Word or Lord is a light to my feet and a lantern to my path...  Ps 119
BuffaloRose

________
________

Earl & Rose

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2014, 10:12:17 pm »

What a hoot to read the comments.  Bill G I'm too cheap to print my streets and trips details.  Looks like it will be the Walmart atlas for us.  Nice since we have the pouch on the back of the PC seats to stow it in.  Thanks all.  Heart Shower
Buffalo Rose

BuffaloRose
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 179
________
PurchDate: June 2007
ModelYear: 2007
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2014, 09:06:53 am »

We appreciate a current year Rand McNally Road Atlas.  But it seems the best state maps are generally given free at tourist centers off the main interstate roads at the state borders.  Some states will mail you their state map from their state tourism website.

A current copy of a Rand McNally Road Atlas is nice to have but it did let us down in the San Francisco area, north of the Golden Gate Bridge.  That area was cut off on the blow-up portion.  We got lost and had no idea how to get back to a known point.

Later with GPS and now with smart phones, we are better equipped.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 12:38:41 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
Jim Triplett

Helpful Rating: 1
________
PurchDate: April 4, 2014
ModelYear: 2014
IntColor: Grey
ExtColor: Dust
________

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2014, 11:54:53 am »

If you have a State Farm Agent, hit him up for a State Farm Road Atlas. Since I am a State Farm agent, I give away plenty of them.  I never leave home without mine.

Jim Triplett
Charleston, WV

Jim and Beverly Triplett
Charleston, WV
BuffaloRose

________
________

Earl & Rose

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2014, 06:26:19 pm »

Didn't know about State Farm, but we haven't been with them in many years.  Picked up the extra large 2015 rand mcnally atlas at Barnes & noble.  It is nice, we got the spiral bound one.  Also received Maine and Pennsylvania maps in the mail this week.  Planning our route is entertaining when it is too hot here in SC to leave the AC.  Upgraded my gps with the lifetime maps subscription.  Funny thing, we will still get lost somewhere along the road.

BuffaloRose
Doneworking

________
PurchDate: September 2013
________

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2014, 08:14:55 pm »

I just simiply love maps.  I have had several GPSs over the years and find them useful, but for pure joy I love to look at and use maps.  And I prefer the official state maps over the Rand Mc books and the AAA mpas.   The state maps have other cool information and show a lot of little roads to explore as well as maps of the larger cities.    I have a 1910 world atlas.  I love to look at it and think how the world has changed.   I have a set of dvds with years of National Geographic maps on them, from back a hundred years ago ( a gift from my wife about 2000, don't have the ones since then).  I LOVE MAPS.  I don't think some electronic screen will ever replace my love for that folded, faded paper!!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: