Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: PC 2551 height  (Read 1230 times)
mwleung

Helpful Rating: 2
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: 6/2010
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2010
Slide: No
IntColor: tan
ExtColor: brown/sable
________

View Profile
« on: June 11, 2010, 11:31:31 am »

Morning
I enjoy all the info y'all figure out and share! It makes our Cruisers so special!

i have a question....Does anyone know how high the 2551 is with the roof TV Satellite dish installed at the factory?  I am remodeling my garage(door) and want to be sure to be tall enough....I understand that with the AC it is 10'1".....and think the Dish may be 15 "........now if i can get the AC height or total height with the satellite----we will have the problem solved....isn't 4th grade math fun!!>>!!

Thanks
Mary K
Normal
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 169
________
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 03:01:55 pm »

I don't know how high it is, but "SMART MOVE" on the garage idea.  We keep ours indoors when at home.  Boy it sure is nice to have that investment well protected from the elements.

If I were building a new garage from scratch, I'd go significantly bigger than the PC requires.  You never know what your future holds.  Even if you keep the PC but sell the house, what a selling point to prospective buyers....a garage for their 40 footer, big boat, whatever.

So Think Bigger if applicable!

Our garage was built bigger than our first tiny little motor home required, so our 2350 squeezes in by only 1.5" to the top of the garage door opening, and 16" over-all length.  It is a tight fit, though side-to-side is generous, thank goodness there.  There is a low hanging sofit in the ceiling of the garage to enclose an I-beam that was lower than the door opening buy a few inches.  I tore it down and boxed it as small as possible so now I can jack the tires up off the floor if need be.  Be sure to consider that in your garage mods if applicable....the ability to jack up front or rear without crushing something up top.

Ours in the garage seen in the background.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 03:50:42 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
mwleung

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 03:18:09 pm »

Thanks for the wise words!  I am actually "raising the roof" of my garage as we live in a very conservative community in the midwest....our area built in the 50s does not even allow double car garages that are on the front of the house!  Makes for a lovely neighborhood but somewhat restrictive!

Anyway - I pick up our PC in two weeks and meanwhile am doublechecking on the height I need....they demolish the roof on my present garage on Monday - then raise the roof 4 feet later in the week.  I am looking at an 11 garage door - hope that is high enough!!??!!

Any suggestions are welcome Grin

Mary K
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2010, 04:25:02 pm »

Mary,

10'-1" to the top of your a/c until means the satelite dish would have to exceed that by 10" to potentailly hit the door jamb.

Keep in-mind that an 11 foot door means the finished door opening is some amount less.  My 10' tall door has a 9'-11.5" opening.  I had a plan if my a/c unit made contact, I would remove the 3/4" thick x 1.5" finish trim board, to gain an additional 3/4".  If that was not enough, I would shave the main door jamb a little.  Both mods only where the a/c needed it, not across the entire top edge.  A last resort would have been to let air out of the tires to lower the RV.  Thank goodness mine is true to PC specs at 9'-10" so there were no issues at all.

In your case, since you are starting fresh, make sure the "finished" door opening height is what you need, considering the finish trim/perimeter weather stripping.

In theory you could have a door opening taller than the door itself buy tacking on a nice looking extender filler piece between the bottom of the garage door and weather strip, done to close any gap up top, though that is certianly not ideal.  Don't start with that thinking.  Do that only if you get into trouble.  It is surely better to get a door tall enough to cover the taller opening.

Something to think about in your planning.

How deep is your garage?  If you are tight there, you may want to consider doing what we did, order our PC-2350 without the rear ladder and roof rack mounted.  The ladder sticks out farther than the rear spare tire cover.  If we had the ladder on, I would not be able to walk around the RV without opening the garage door to do so.  I personally don't like the ladder and rack so I asked the factory to place it in the RV in case I change my mind.  It sits in my attic taking up space.  No regret there at all.  I didn't want all those screw holes in my roof and rear wall either, just to attach a ladder I would never climb.  And I open my rear storage compartment without messing with the ladder too.  When it's time to clean the roof, I take my 10' ladder out from the garage, which is once a year at most.

Something else to think about.

Ladder and roof rack "free".

« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 04:35:32 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

bobander
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 131
________
PurchDate: April 2010
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Classic Umber
ExtColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 08:58:34 pm »

Hi Mary,

I have a new 2551 that we picked up in April.  I just went out to the garage and measured the height.  It measures 9'-11.5" to the top of the AC, the AC is 11" tall.  I am surprised that it is lower than the spec height of 10'-1", maybe that is for the standard AC and now they are installing the low profile AC, you might ask Kermit about that.

If the Dish is 15" as you indicated, then the top of the dish would be 4" taller than the AC which would result in a height of 10'-3.5" on my 2551.  Keep in mind that the roof slopes down to the front a couple of inches so you would need to account for the location of the dish relative to the AC.

I also store my PC in the garage and the opening is a nominal 10' wide x 12' tall, plenty of room for the PC.

Hope this helps,
Bob

2010  PC 2551
mwleung

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2010, 07:06:35 am »

Thanks so much for measuring the actual vehicle for me.  I have some things to think about before Monday!  On the surface it seems like we will be OK though.

Thanks
Mary K
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2010, 12:27:09 pm »

Hi Mary,

I have a new 2551 that we picked up in April.  I just went out to the garage and measured the height.  It measures 9'-11.5" to the top of the AC, the AC is 11" tall.  I am surprised that it is lower than the spec height of 10'-1"
Maybe your 2551 is 10'-1" if you had it empty, no gear, no water, just a couple gallons of gas in the tank, and then with the max tire pressure of 85psi.  Kind-of-a worst case condition.  Who really knows.

I always store ours in the garage with a full tank of gas & gear, but no water, and 65/70 psi in the tires.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 12:28:41 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

bobander
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 131
________
PurchDate: April 2010
IntColor: Classic Umber
ExtColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2010, 01:03:26 pm »

Maybe your 2551 is 10'-1" if you had it empty, no gear, no water, just a couple gallons of gas in the tank, and then with the max tire pressure of 85psi.  Kind-of-a worst case condition.  Who really knows.

I always store ours in the garage with a full tank of gas & gear, but no water, and 65/70 psi in the tires.

Good point Ron, My 2551 has full gas, no water, 1/2 gear, 80/75 psi tire pressure when measured.  Maybe the gas and 1/2 gear load accounts for lower height.  I should check again someday when conditions would give maximum height just to know.

Bob

2010  PC 2551
mciai2000
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 41
________
PurchDate: 09/2011
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: grey
ExtColor: full body night shadow
________

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2010, 09:28:45 pm »

Hi y"all:

Our new 2350 has an in-motion sat installed.  When it arrived here I climbed up top to measure the height of the dome. It is 5 inches higher than the ac unit. My old camper was 10 ft 2 inches high. The new Phoenix is 10 3.  Your 2551 has is taller to begin with because of the chasis.  I am not sure of the manufacturers listed height but make sure you add the 5 inches to that and you will  be fine.  I also agree with Ron on the door thing. Our garage has a 10 ft door and because of the door opener the clearance loses 4 inches.  I never installed a concrete floor in my pole barn, so I just took the farm tractor and and dug the stone floor out to make the Cruiser fit. I did have to put an extension on the garage door as Ron suggested.  Works great. Hope this helps.

family is a passion...work is a requirement
2012 2552 full body paint(Phoenix # 2)
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2010, 10:13:11 pm »

I find it quite interesting that many of us PC owners store them indoors.  If you are like me, my PC was selected because of it's small size, specifically to fit in my garage.  I learned quickly afterwards, it is a really well built RV.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 10:17:53 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

gradygal
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 87
________
PurchDate: March 2012
Model: 2910
ModelYear: 2013
IntColor: cherry
ExtColor: slate gray full body paint
________

our 3rd PC--Custom 2910

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2010, 08:20:21 am »

We are SOOOOO envious of all of you that can store your PC in your garage!

When we first moved to Punta Gorda we were seriously into boating and bought in a deed restricted area with a canal behind the house for the boat. Since we started RVing, we have spent more time with the Coach and less with the boat. We have to store the PC in a storage lot, not under cover, and worry about the Florida sun doing a job on the full body paint.

So be it!!! I guess we could move (highly unlikely).

Judi

Judi and George Nicholson
Punta Gorda FL
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2010, 09:41:14 am »

Have you considered investing in a small version of this?  Given high humidity conditions in Florida, I would leave the ends open to allow air to circulate freely.  It would keep rain and sun off except wind-driven rain and early & late day sun, pending position.  It's not pretty though.

Of coarse the cheapest is a simple tarp wrapping the RV, but I would be concerned of introducing a mold problem.  Still I would give a tarp a try.

gradygal
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 87
________
PurchDate: March 2012
Model: 2910
ModelYear: 2013
IntColor: cherry
ExtColor: slate gray full body paint
________

our 3rd PC--Custom 2910

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2010, 10:52:24 am »

Let's put it this way--as soon as the City of Punta Gorda saw that thing we would probably be locked up for life as well as a $1,000,000.00 fine! 

Judi and George Nicholson
Punta Gorda FL
lghjr
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 38
________
OwnPC: No
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: Used to own a 2700
Model: 2700
________

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2010, 04:41:17 pm »

I had a pole barn built with 14' to the joists back in the day when I had the diesel pusher and the AC's barely cleared.  Forgot to blow down the rear bags once and balled up the rear AC cover.  The PC fits with probably 18" or more of clearance and it is nice when I jack it up to work underneath, oil change, gen maintenance, tranny fluid change, etc. Gaining a mite around the middle with age, the clearance is nice to allow me to do that.  Just something to think about.

L. G.

P. S.  Always wondered about the "soft garages", looks better than nothing to me.  That fine might be more than the wife could pay though.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: