Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: traveling I 70 west of Denver  (Read 543 times)
Denny & Barb

Helpful Rating: 26
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: 4-08-2012
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2012
Slide: Yes
IntColor: cafe
ExtColor: cafe
________

Medicine Bow, Wy.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2014, 06:30:09 pm »

Bobander, I would like to disagree/and/or/agree big time, but I have nothing to tow.😁😁
But good information to pass on. Am sure many are afraid of the mountains, and you gave confidence.  Thanks

Your Word or Lord is a light to my feet and a lantern to my path...  Ps 119
Doneworking

Helpful Rating: 18
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: September 2013
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2013
Slide: Yes
________

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2014, 05:47:31 pm »

Last Thursday, June 12, we came home from Northern New Mexico.  We pulled Bob Cat Pass in our 2350 pulling a Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.  This was the first time out with the PC and the Trailhawk in the mountains.   From Red River to the top of the pass is a little over three miles and an eleveation gain of about 1200+ feet, so a winding, twisting little state highway going up at 6-7 degrees.   We spent the steepest part of the climb in second gear and were going 25 mph.  That initial climb may well be over eight degrees.   The problem is, you cannot get up speed to maintain, so you are constantly struggling.   Worked just fine.  I have pulled that pass many times in a worn out Chevy Van, a Roadtrek 190 and a Roadtrek 210.   They all had trouble and the PC pulling the toad had no more or less trouble.  

I can't imagine you would have any trouble on I-70.   As others have said, just be cautious and use good down hill driving techniques on the downhill side of the Divide.   It is a long way down at a pretty good grade but nothing that should cause any problems properly driven.  

My wife and I decided it would just be simpler to unhook and pull Monarch and a few other 12000 foot passes with her driving the Jeep.   4000 pounds is a lot to be pulling up those slopes if you have a second person with you who could drive the toad. 

PSW

« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 05:49:25 pm by Doneworking » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: