Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Mold on outside caulking near the rear and front caps  (Read 436 times)
Bruce and Sharon

Helpful Rating: 69
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: 8/16/2013
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2014
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Hickory
ExtColor: Cafe lower body
Location: Summer in Pacific Grove and winter in Palm Desert, California
________

PC on Monterey Bay shore

View Profile
« on: July 07, 2014, 01:14:25 pm »

We just noticed some dark colored mold growing on the outside caulking where the rear and front caps join the side walls.  We can scrape most of it off, but it seems to be extending under the narrow vertical trim pieces that cover those seams.
Any suggestions on how to kill this mold where it may have grown deeper into the caulking behind the trim pieces?
--Bruce

Bruce and Sharon
Doneworking

Helpful Rating: 100
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: September 2013
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2013
Slide: Yes
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 04:59:23 pm »

I don't know how many would agree or disagree with my approach, but here is what I have always done.  First, I cleaned the area with a very highly concentrated solution of Simple Green.  Spray on, agitate with a brush, leave it there five minutes and wash off with water.  Then, I use an eye dropper or small pastry baster to dribble a bleach solution (about a 10% solution) along the edges so that it can seep back in under the trim if there are any openings.  Finally, I spray a little silicone lubricating spray (after everything is totally, absolutely dry) along the edge.  After several days, I clean off any of the silicone spray on the surface and caulk with a good RV caulking. 

Simple Green works really well for me to get rid of the showing build up.  The bleach solution should kill anything that has slipped a little under the trim.  The silicone is to make an air proof seal for a few days.  Mold generally is aerobic and requires at least some amount of oxygen to live.   At least my research in the past has shown most molds are aerobic.

Now, that being said, you really should test any or all of those three products on some non conspicuous place to make sure it will not harm the finish.   Someone may have a much better solution, this is just what I have done for years.   It works for me.  

Paul
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 06:49:37 pm by Doneworking » Logged
Sparky
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 48
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: 12/12
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2008
Slide: No
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 11:31:50 am »

Paul
 Very good comment,, I like simple green also.. on the bleach solution you can use small patch of rag dipped in the bleach solution,, damp not wet,, rub the caulk line, make sure it's damp... let dry, then just sun dry, rinse   your right about the finish,,, how ever the clear coats are pretty tough and at the % should not be a problem, you will take your wax off though
sparky
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: