Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: TOWING- cargo trailer  (Read 558 times)
Sparky
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 40
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: 12/12
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2008
Slide: No
________

View Profile
« on: June 24, 2014, 10:57:44 am »

I looked at some of the previous post re towing.   Were planning a trip in which I need to haul about 1000lbs of the kids stuff up to Oregon. My plan is to rent a small cargo trailer (U-Haul,etc) for a one way.  The small one weighs 850 empty,, plus @1000lbs cargo +/- a few lbs,  added length @11ft.   Were in a 2350.  Since many of the parks and gas stops etc are pull through should have no problem driving and getting around. Trailer will have no brakes.  Do I need a trailer ball for the hitch?   Is the trailer light hook-up already set up on the back of the PC?  Any other suggestions will be appreciated. BTW am a rookie when it comes to towing.  If suggested will go find an empty parking lot and practice backing up if you think best.  Hoping that want be to necessary. tks
Sparky
Houston
kevin

Helpful Rating: 22
________
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: 9/2010
Model: 3100
ModelYear: 2011
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Maple
ExtColor: White
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 12:11:30 pm »

I would go to a u haul place in the PC and ask if what you need to haul a u haul is on the PC.  If what they say sounds a bit fishy, get a second opinion or post a picture of the PC's rear here & ask.  And yes, after you pick up the trailer, I would practice a wee bit turning right & left to see how the trailer tracks behind you.  You may never have to back up, but at least try it.  I pull a Smart Car with no extra brakes & don't have a problem stopping. I also have a 3100, so an extra ton is no big deal.  When I pull the boat, it takes a bit longer to get up to highway speed...
Happy Trails
kevin 
ragoodsp

Helpful Rating: 37
________
PurchDate: May 5, 2012
Model: 3100
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: cafe
ExtColor: cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 12:32:19 pm »

Sparky....You should have no problem pulling that size trailer.   You will need a 2" ball that will slip into the reciever on the back of your PC.  You will need and adapter that will go from the seven lug  round plug on your PC to a four lug plug that U-Haul uses usually on their trailers.  All can be gotten at WalMart for like $35...$9.00 for the plug adapter, $24 for the Reese ball mount and the ballance for the 2" plug.  While you can back up I would not waste my time attempting such action since it will be tricky without being able to see out and using the camera, IMO!  Good luck should be clear sailing.
lghjr
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 41
________
OwnPC: No
PurchDate: Used to own a 2700
Model: 2700
ModelYear: 2007
________

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 01:15:39 pm »

My experience with a U-Haul cargo trailer was that it did have brakes if only surge brakes.  One quick stop in Columbus rush hour traffic made me a believer in U-Hauls equipment, I could feel the trailer braking and it probably helped prevent a collision.  It was one of their 12' box trailers with side opening doors (a request by me) and I did not realize the brake situation until I picked it up, appeared to be standard on all I saw in that length. Even their car dolly's appear to have surge brakes. The stinger and ball I got from them (as cheap as wallly world) and was a 2 5/16 ball. I did have to get a wiring modifier from Nissan to standard - they had one.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 01:20:26 pm by lghjr » Logged
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 179
________
PurchDate: June 2007
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 03:24:31 pm »

I too agree that "ANY" E350-V10 and E450-V10 PC with the standard 500/5000 pound hitch will handle that task well.
I am not 100% certain that old PCs made prior to 2004 and all Sprinters are rated less at 350/3500.

I agree that U-Haul trailers are equipped with surge brakes.  I do wonder if the tiniest of U-Haul trailers don't.  It would be worth asking them if renting a tiny trailer.

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
Sparky
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 11:05:37 am »

Ok,, waited awhile to see if anyone else had comments,,, think everything I need to do and be aware of was stated.. Thanks for your advice and tips
Sparky

will make sure to post on the trip later
racephoto

Helpful Rating: 4
________
PurchDate: 4/1/2013
Model: 2100
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2014, 09:57:01 pm »

Actually, I just did this with my 2100.  I got the Uhaul 5x8 trailer, which does NOT have brakes.  The 6x12 does.  I got the hitch ball setup at Lowes (not being a Walmart fan) and this one worked perfectly.  http://www.lowes.com/pd_279878-29318-7023311_0__?productId=3180187 

I got this adapter for the wiring, also at Lowes.  http://www.lowes.com/pd_184422-29318-85212_0__?productId=3179833

I probably overloaded the trailer (scale broke halfway through loading), but still barely knew it was back there.  Until I had to slam on the brakes.....then it was a little squirrelly. Still it was a pretty painless trip, and I saved almost $2000 over what PODS wanted to do it.
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 179
________
PurchDate: June 2007
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2014, 10:17:09 pm »

Our first tow vehicle weighed only 2100 pounds.  I never did set it up with tow brakes.  Admittedly I considered it a borderline situation.  Our current tow vehicle weighs twice that but with the tow brakes we have, instead of taking longer to stop, it is actually shorter.

So if your little U-Haul without brakes weighs under 2100 pounds, I'd say you'll do okay.  Just drive accordingly.

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
Sparky
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2014, 09:40:23 am »

Thanks Ron good advice
 think I feel fairly confident about taking the small U-Haul,, just a pain in the rear(no pun intended) hehe
Racephot???? do you have a name???   very good post and tks for the post,,, copied and put in a folder for the trip    also hope your not SLAMMING on the brakes,,, want matter if your towing or not hahah... kidding,,, realize your talking about slowing down I hope
sparky
racephoto

Helpful Rating: 4
________
PurchDate: 4/1/2013
Model: 2100
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2014, 10:10:53 am »

Haha....the name is Gail and you're very welcome.  I have never towed anything ever so was pretty phobic about doing it.  I was dreading going to the Uhaul place and trying to back up to the trailer to hook up.  When I got there, the lot was so crowded I didn't know what to do, just parked right in front of the door.  It turned out to be a non issue, they brought the trailer to me using a little dolly that went under the hitch.  Awesome.  While the 5x8 trailer has a 4-wire connection, it fits that 5 wire adapter as well.  The 5th wire is for trailers with a brake controller, according to the Uhaul guy, so it's good to buy that one & then you can tow either one.  I couldn't see the trailer in the mirrors at all.  I drove from northern VA to Panama City FL.....left at 8:30PM on the 4th of July & got there on the 6th.  Spent the nights at Cracker Barrels in Roanoke, VA & Columbus GA, plus took an afternoon siesta at the SC Welcome Center.  Thankfully we had a couple cool nights. 

I did have to slam on the brakes once when someone cut me off.  I definitely knew the trailer was there then.  As I said, I am pretty sure I overloaded the trailer though.  I had 10 cases of wine in there.  :-)  I did try to weigh everything while loading but the scale died halfway through so I just had to hope for the best.
Sparky
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2014, 10:24:29 am »

Gail
  good info again,,, we are hauling furniture so not worried about  the weight so much,,,when I pick up the furniture in Dallas I am going to have to back the trailer or take it off the hitch.. figure I can un-hitch and man handle the trailer ( I hope).. other wise should not be to much backing up... :)dread the 2500 miles to Portland but will be worth it to finally get rid of this junk haha thanks again  and like I said earlier were heading to Alaska after that so sort of killing two birds  d(&&** kids hehe
sparky
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: