Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Pondering Alcoa Alloy Wheels For Our 2007 2350  (Read 215 times)
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 179
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« on: June 26, 2014, 12:30:50 pm »

I always thought that our 2007 PC2350 would look so much better with alloy wheels like Dynamax includes with their rigs.  Every once in a great while I will do a quick search on wheels.  There seems to be a limited selection for an E350/E450 DRW cut-away chassis.  The one product that comes highly recommended is Alcoa.  The company supplies wheels for the big 18 wheeler rigs with a very strict quality control process.  They have a specific set of alloy wheels designed for Ford E-series DRW chassis.  They won't sell direct to consumers.  We would have to buy through independent retailers.  I found one such retailer who sells a complete package which includes 4 wheels & center caps, and lugs.  Per standards, we need to reuse our inner rear wheels.  The retailer's price seems fairly reasonable even considering shipping.  See it here: http://www.southwestwheel.com/store/c-1034-ford-e350-e450-dual-rear-wheel.aspx.  I am figuring that unless there is a serious concern of going with Alcoa alloy wheels, I will upgrade when it's time to replace our tires.

Now $1100 for that Alcoa package is a whole lot of "extra" money for improved curb appeal, but I have also researched the value of our four 2007 steel wheels, lugs, and wheel covers.  Strangely, on Ebay they appear to be worth more in "used but excellent condition", compared to the new Alcoa wheel package.  Even if I am far off my estimated value and get only half the current used pricing, the Alcoa wheel upgrade would still quite affordable.

I would appreciate any and all comments, especially from you who have experience with Alcoa wheels on your previous motor homes.  I would assume there are benefits in unsprung weight, improved balance & tru-roundness, all contributing to a slightly better ride that I might not even notice.  I do wonder if there are notable draw-backs.  Our rig does stay fairly well preserved so I have no concern of salt or other such corrosion.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 12:33:34 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
rlamb

Helpful Rating: 0
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: 7/2010
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2011
Slide: Yes
IntColor: grey
ExtColor: grey
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 08:01:56 pm »

I HAD THE ALCOA WHEELS ON MY PREVIOUS AIRSTREAM INTERSTATE- THEY WERE COATED WITH SOME PROCESS WHERE THEY WERE CLEANABLE WITH JUST SOAP AND WATER.  if THEY ARE NOT COATED I WOULD BELIEVE THEY WOULD HAVE TO BE SHINED PERIODICALLY TO KEEP SPIFFY.  I ALSO THOUGHT THEY LOOKED GREAT ON THE RIG AND NATURALLY THEY WERE LIGHTER  THEN THE STEEL RIMS.  I CAN'T REALLY SAY  I NOTICED IMPROVED  DRIVABILITY OF THE RIG.  I ALSO USED AIR EXTENSIONS WHICH I PREFER TO THE STAINLESS HOSES ON THE PRESENT RIG.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: