Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: HWH Levelers  (Read 893 times)
Wood Waterstone

Helpful Rating: 0
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: June 2010
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2011
Slide: Yes
________

View Profile
« on: July 06, 2014, 01:43:56 am »

We're considering trading up to a new 2552 possibly this summer.  I would appreciate feedback regarding members experiences with the HWH Levelers.  Do you like the accessory and consider them a good value?  How would you rate their performance (leveling and stabilizing the coach)?  Would you include them again on a new motorhome? 
Thanks for your help!
Pax

Helpful Rating: 44
________
PurchDate: July
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2014
IntColor: Sunlit / Cherry
ExtColor: Sunlit
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 07:06:43 am »

We love ours!  Leveling takes us all of about 30 seconds.

As far as our experiences with them......they work as advertised and they easily level and stabilize the coach. I only have one complaint, and this may be an individual thing.  To extend the levelers you press the 'up' button.  I guess I'm a bit dyslexic or something, because this took some getting used to.

Value?  Considering how much we are (and will be) using our PC, I think it's a terrific value when considering the alternatives.  Probably depends a lot on how much you will use the rig and what the alternative choices are for stabilizing/leveling. 

- Mike
detspcl

Helpful Rating: 2
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: april/2011
Model: 2900
ModelYear: phoenix cruiser
IntColor: cherry
ExtColor: full body paint
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2014, 07:10:52 am »

Wood,

See my post of May 14, 2014. I have Hydraulic HWH levelers that DO NOT automatically level coach. You have to respond to the yellow lights to level unit. If I were to purchase a new (bought this one used) I would definitely go with auto-level vice manual. I would also consider electrical vice hydraulic. Per my post, I had an issue with one leveler. On the positive side, HWH tech was very helpful in diagnosing and guiding me via telecom while I was underneath the coach troubleshooting. Hope this helps!

Chuck
GoPhoenix

Helpful Rating: 40
________
PurchDate: 12/2010
Model: 3100
IntColor: Slate grey/Cherry
ExtColor: Full body grey
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2014, 07:14:10 am »

And then there's the resale value.  You get the use of the levelers while you own the PC, then get a lot of it back when you sell it.   cool

I remember very few of the things that Ive spent money to buy, but I remember all of the places that Ive spent money to see.
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 183
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2014, 07:52:05 am »

I have had hydraulic HWH levelers on my five different motorhomes since 1989. The motorhome before that had electric jacks on it. Here in the mid Atlantic area there are very few level sites, so having levelers is very important to me for comfort. We find that out west the campground seem to have more level sites. So it would be up to you and where you camp if they are important, a nice convince or not worth it.

The electric jacks were quite compared to the hydraulic but much slower. They also required putting grease on the shafts and in the jack to keep them from rusting, while the hydraulic require spraying the springs. The spraying is easier for me.

Welcome to the forum.

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
Barry-Sue
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 312
________
PurchDate: 10/17/11
ExtColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2014, 04:40:50 pm »

Welcome to the site.

We had the manual jacks on our  2008 2350 and when we ordered our  2012 2551 we also had the manual jacks installed.   The manual jacks are not hard to use if you remember the arrows show the direction the PC is moving not the direction of the jacks.  Friends of ours have the automatic jacks and they like that set up.

We think the jacks are worth installing for a few reasons:

1.  No need to carry leveling blocks or pieces of wood.
2.  On a level site extending the jacks will stabilize PC and remove any bounce or sway.
3.  A good resale feature.

Barry

Barry and Sue 
Current   2012 2551 w/Slide
Previous 2008 2350 w/Slide
RheaNL

Helpful Rating: 8
________
PurchDate: October 4, 2012
Model: 2100
ModelYear: 2013
IntColor: Dusk
ExtColor: Dusk lower
________

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2014, 10:38:48 pm »

We have the HWH jacks on our 2100 and love them.  I don't see that anyone has mentioned that they are not intended to level to the extent you lift one or more tires off the pavement. You still need to carry leveling pads. We boondock/dry camp a lot in national forests where everything is uneven and still must get close to level with the pads, then put on the finishing touch with the HWH levelers. We are out west with lots of wind and they are great at stabelizing so we even use them on totally level sites. As someone else posted, it does take a bit to master all the buttons. We also called the factory early on and they were amazingly patient and helpful.
Bob Mahon
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 58
________
PurchDate: 6/2011
IntColor: Tan/Gray/Cherry
ExtColor: Lower Slate Gray
________

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2014, 10:56:05 am »

We also have and like the jacks but wish each of them could be individually controlled.
I stress that you NEVER, EVER lift the rear wheels off the ground under any circumstances. I've seen too many rigs either bend or kick the jacks up when they started to roll.

Carry on, regardless..................
"In God we trust" to save our country and bring our troops safely home.
Bruce and Sharon

Helpful Rating: 38
________
PurchDate: 8/16/2013
ModelYear: 2014
IntColor: Hickory
ExtColor: Cafe lower body
Location: Summer in Pacific Grove and winter in Palm Desert, California
________

PC on Monterey Bay shore

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2014, 12:59:34 pm »

We also have and like the HWH leveling jacks that the factory installed for us. 
The only problem we've had is that one jack (the front driver side jack) almost always fails to extend (drop the jack leg down from its store position) on the first attempt to start the leveling process.  We than hit the "store" button to retract all of the jacks and start over.  It sometimes takes two or three attempts (or some gentle pounding on the jack under the coach) to get this one to extend (make the leg drop down).
The HWH Operators Manual states that the jacks require very little maintenance and the jack rods should not be wiped and do not need to be oiled or sprayed with anything.  But, maybe we need to add a touch of lubrication to the hinge(?) bolt to make the jack leg drop down.  Any suggestions?
--Bruce

Bruce, Sharon, Sparky dog, & Minou kitty
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 177
________
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2014, 12:15:40 am »

We don't have hydraulic leveling jacks.  We do it the old fashion way using Lynx leveling blocks.  Every time I pull them out, I wished we bought leveling jacks.  I know we could still get them installed.  I just haven't gotten to that Popeye moment yet.    "That's all I can stands and I can't stands no more" 

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
Wood Waterstone

Helpful Rating: 0
________
PurchDate: June 2010
________

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2014, 10:50:47 am »

Many thanks to Mike, Chuck, GoPhoenix, Tom, Barry, RheaNL, Bob, Bruce and Ron for your thoughtful responses!  I really appreciate the input - and, like most things on an RV, it is clear the levelers require careful consideration regarding their operation and maintenance!  We are hopeful that levelers will be included if we can put an order together!
Thanks again!
Wood
detspcl

Helpful Rating: 2
________
PurchDate: april/2011
Model: 2900
ModelYear: phoenix cruiser
IntColor: cherry
ExtColor: full body paint
________

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2014, 07:55:29 am »

Just a note concerning noisy jacks. The HWH factory tech recommended we spray each jack spring with ORDINARY, over the counter, WD40 to quiet that nasty squeal each would emit when being deployed or retracted. Did that and they are much quieter.

chuck
Sparky
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 39
________
PurchDate: 12/12
ModelYear: 2008
________

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2014, 11:14:53 am »

I am always interested in the post re levelers,,, previous owner had them installed on our 2350,, over $4k ouch,,, I've never used them.. keep using the blocks.   I think I need to go to a local parking lot (concrete) and practice,, For some reason I'm scared to death they will get stuck.... I did extend them once at the storage yard,  Again maybe going out and playing with them a little will give me the confidence to use them
sparky
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 177
________
PurchDate: June 2007
ModelYear: 2007
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2014, 11:23:31 am »

I am always interested in the post re levelers,,, previous owner had them installed on our 2350,, over $4k ouch,,, I've never used them.. keep using the blocks.   I think I need to go to a local parking lot (concrete) and practice,, For some reason I'm scared to death they will get stuck.... I did extend them once at the storage yard,  Again maybe going out and playing with them a little will give me the confidence to use them
sparky
Sparky, you just kill me.   Smile

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 183
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2014, 11:24:39 am »

Like all mechcanal things, you should work them every now and then or they will rust and get stuck. I use mine everytime we go camping and once a month during the winter storage. I spray the springs with WD40 every year. I never had any problems with them. Use them a few times and you will not use the old boards except in extreme cases.

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print

Jump to: