Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Colorado's Million Dollar Highway in the San Juan Mountains????  (Read 518 times)
Margie

Helpful Rating: 3
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: 10/09
Model: 2350 Sprinter
ModelYear: 2010
Slide: Yes
ExtColor: Full body paint/latte
________

View Profile
« on: July 07, 2014, 12:58:08 am »

Has anyone traveled the Million Dollar Highway in Colorado with their Phoenix Cruiser?  We are attempting to come up with a few ideas for visiting Colorado in September.  I'm wondering if it is really difficult to drive that highway with a 2350 and also if diesel is available on it.  We would love to just putz around down there and check out the various little towns along the way.  Any information on favorite campsites would be appreciated.  Thank you.

Margie
KB9OMH

Helpful Rating: 11
________
PurchDate: 3/26/13
Model: 3100
ModelYear: 2013
IntColor: Maple
ExtColor: Sterling
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 08:58:59 am »

Have not ran it in my PC, I do know the run Buses from Durango to Silverton and back. So you should not have any problems

Jim
Bob Mahon
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 59
________
PurchDate: 6/2011
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2011
IntColor: Tan/Gray/Cherry
ExtColor: Lower Slate Gray
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 10:47:04 am »

We drove the Ouray to Silverton length both ways in our 2350 back in 2009. Stay in good control of your speed and you'll have no trouble at all (use 3rd gear and stab the brakes when needed on the downhills). We stayed at the KOA in Ouray and rented one of their JEEPs for a day to do a few rough trails. Make sure you get to Telluride and take the the Tram too.

Carry on, regardless..................
"In God we trust" to save our country and bring our troops safely home.
RheaNL

Helpful Rating: 11
________
PurchDate: October 4, 2012
Model: 2100
ModelYear: 2013
IntColor: Dusk
ExtColor: Dusk lower
________

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 09:35:12 am »

We live in Colorado and have driven the Million Dollar highway too many times to count including several times--in our PC2100 and rental RVs before that. Previous advice about downshifting applies for all the Rocky Mountains. If you are sight seeing, pull off often and let traffic around so you can enjoy the views. It is a wonderful drive to just enjoy and if you do Sept. through early Oct. you will be able to enjoy the beautiful aspen gold as the trees turn.  They start by Labor Day up high.  Be sure your furnace works and bring electric space heaters if staying with full hook-ups. We live at 9,200 ft. and it was 42 when I got up this morning.
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 179
________
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 11:19:11 am »

I agree with RhealNL completely.

Adding that any time you camp at elevation 8000 or higher, it can quickly become winter in the middle of summer.  Many years ago my brother and I did an overnight back pack hike in the Tetons in the middle of August.  We woke up to 4 to 5 inches of snow.  We were concerned of missing the trail to get down from high elevation.  Snow at elevation is not unheard of in summer, and the Million Dollar Highway is one such place where it can happen.  So be sure your furnace is in tip-top shape, and your propane tank is full.....especially you diesel Sprinter folks with a propane generator.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 11:21:35 am by ron.dittmer » Logged

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: