Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Power step  (Read 1128 times)
Barry-Sue
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 330
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: 10/17/11
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2012
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2014, 04:25:15 pm »

Bruce

I spoke with a customer service rep for Break Free CLP ( Safariland) this afternoon and they have no special precautions for skin contact.  I would avoid any prolong contact with the skin and follow the on label directions for contact with the eyes.

Barry

Barry and Sue 
Current   2012 2551 w/Slide
Previous 2008 2350 w/Slide
Bruce and Sharon

Helpful Rating: 41
________
PurchDate: 8/16/2013
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2014
IntColor: Hickory
ExtColor: Cafe lower body
Location: Summer in Pacific Grove and winter in Palm Desert, California
________

PC on Monterey Bay shore

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2014, 08:54:55 pm »

Thank you Barry, good suggestions!
  --Bruce

Bruce, Sharon, Sparky dog, & Minou kitty
wnc2551

Helpful Rating: 4
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: June 2013
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2007
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: Dusk
________

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2014, 03:46:31 pm »

We too have the power step gremlin. I replaced my door switch today and found that it was a straightforward job on or 2006 2551. Here are a few photos if you are considering the job.

Here's what the switch looks like from under the Phoenix. At this point, I was concerned that the switch might be rusted to the frame. I lucked out when the switch pulled out with a reasonable tug.

Loosen the 2 screws that you can see from inside the doorframe and the switch will pull out straight toward you. Yay Phoenix! You do this job sitting in the doorframe rather than lying under the unit. Boy, with
that much rust it was a wonder that it was working at all!

Switch the wires from the old switch to the new, slide the switch back into the doorframe, screw the bracket back to the frame and you are done.

I did kill the house power while doing the repair. I was expecting the power step to come sliding out and bop me in the face at any time, but I survived. Next winter's project; working on that rust. Thanks to everyone on this thread for the info and help and thanks to Phoenix for a straightforward design of the switch.
keelhauler

Helpful Rating: 38
________
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Sunlit Maple
ExtColor: Sunlit - no paint
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2014, 12:31:46 pm »

On newer models PC sealed the back of the switch.
However it's still a cheap crappy switch. They should use something better and more weather resistant.
It actually deteriorates inside the switch, that's why just turning the button around will sometimes clean the contact and make it work for a while.

John
Doneworking

Helpful Rating: 26
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: September 2013
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2013
________

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2014, 11:21:57 am »

We have just returned this week from two weeks in our PC and toward the end of the trip, we experienced the step problem.   She no go.  The problem was in the door switch as explained above in the thread.   I lubricated the switch with silicon and that took care of the difficulty.  When we got home this week, I crawled under and took a good look and I was rather surprised to see that the underside of the entry into the PC was beginning to rust and discolor all over.  Also, the wiring to the step had been wrapped with electrical tape, which was in the process of unwrapping.  Given the position of the step and wiring, it doesn't take much to figure out that a few wet roads and a few thousand miles of road speed air flow will torture that kind of wiring harness.  

I don't have time to work on the rig this week but next week I am going to do at least three things:

1.  Fully encapsulate the back of the push button switch with silicon caulk to protect it from dirt and moisture.  
                                                   2.  Clean the rusting/discolored underside of the entryway from the bottom and paint it with a primer and paint to prevent future problems.
                                                   3.   Use a wiring harness cover on the step wiring to protect it and not rely on ten cents worth of electrical tape.   Here is what I am will use:
                                                         http://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-half-inch-x-7-ft-protective-wire-wrap-66986.html

I think I will check all the under chassis wiring on the PC while I am doing this job.

Paul
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 11:31:37 am by Doneworking » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: