Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 2100 - No slide - Question  (Read 973 times)
ColoRockiesFan

Helpful Rating: 0
________
OwnPC: No
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: N/A
Model: None
Slide: No
________

View Profile
« on: July 09, 2014, 09:02:18 am »

Hello, I am seriously looking at the Phoenix 2350. But, as I also believe the shorter the better  Grin , I am considering the 2100 as well. I will not be getting a slide and was wondering how comfortable the couch/bed is? Thanks!
Sparky
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 41
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: 12/12
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2008
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 11:23:17 am »

Depending upon your type of travel,,, I don't like the slides. We also have the table instead of couch/bed.  Also like shorter is better,,, had a roadtrek 210 loved it, but not quiet big enough,,, we found the 2350 used,,, and really driving not that much difference, but the extra room is great, have no problem with our stuff.. I actually have two bikes under the table ( there's a post if interested).... we travel as a couple and big puppy dog. No plans on traveling with kids or such.  So if fits us perfect... hated giving up that 4/5 mpg, but the extra room was worth it. Would like to look at 2100 but have not had the chance yet. BTW purchased our Cruiser in Seattle,,, we live in Houston
Sparky
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 179
________
PurchDate: June 2007
ModelYear: 2007
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 11:49:46 am »

If I were travelling solo, my PC of choice would be a NO-slide 2100, but I would special order it, deviating a little from this no-slide plan.

First of all, I find our dinette "Very" comfortable to sleep on, especially now with the memory foam cushions.  The dinette/bed in our 2350 is roomy and fits my 5'-11" tall body just right.  I would just make sure the 2100 dinette is dimensionally the same as our 2350.

This is what I would request different from the factory.

I would keep the dinette as is, making sure it has memory foam cushions for both good sleeping and sit-up comfort.  I would set the dinette up as a day bed and keep it that way all the time.  I would have the factory supply a good set of matching bolsters for backrests and arm rests, and toss them on a front seat when it's time to sleep....basically converting between a couch and a bed with the bolsters.  The dinette as a bed provides a ton of storage inside each bench and also under the table portion.  It also provides the option to have a dinette if the need ever came up.

As for the couch across from the dinette, I would delete it and have the factory build a nice desk where I could sit in a normal chair and look out the window there, using it as a place to eat, write, or use a laptop computer.  I would have 12V and 110V outlets there.  I would supply my own folding or other chair of my own choosing.  The smaller window there would be selected so a nice size closet could be built between the desk and the front passenger seat.  That would provide a lot more inside storage.

Since there is so little outdoor storage, I would request the rear dinette bench get sealed off to the inside, access only from the outside via an insulated door as is currently done with our 2350 rear corner bed.  The front dinette bench would remain accessible to the inside for an outside door would be too tiny for practicality given the angled transition wall.

There might be a mechanical obstacle to overcome, maybe the furnace or other mechanical thingy inside the rear dinette bench or behind the couch, so this would all have to be worked through or possibly compromised to some degree.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 12:43:08 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 194
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2012
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 02:20:13 pm »

"I have a dream". Good for you Ron.
        Hug

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 03:50:46 pm »

"I have a dream". Good for you Ron.
        Hug
Whoa there Tom,

My dream is to travel in our 2350 with my girl Irene.  I was just saying......"IF" doing life solo.....

TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 194
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 05:33:30 pm »

Sorry I did not mean anything bad or going without the DW. I just figured you were dreaming about how easy it would be to if you had a really small rig.
If I was traveling alone, which I hope never happens, I would own a 22 foot class B sprinter that looked like a passenger van, not a camper.

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2014, 05:57:48 pm »

Sorry I did not mean anything bad or going without the DW. I just figured you were dreaming about how easy it would be to if you had a really small rig.
If I was traveling alone, which I hope never happens, I would own a 22 foot class B sprinter that looked like a passenger van, not a camper.
All is well Tom....really really well.  I figured you must have meant something else.  Forums are occasionally risky concerning interpretation.

You did read me right....."dreaming about how easy it would be to if you had a really small rig".

ColoRockiesFan

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2014, 09:58:22 pm »

Some very good ideas. Love the idea of a desk setup. Thanks!

Still would like to know if the couch in the 2100 (in the no slide version) is comfortable to sleep on. Anyone? Smile

As much as I like the 2100, I think I need to stay with the 2350. I can always downsize later. My Mom still traveling with me frequently and having the extra bit of space is really enticing ... especially with Mom's stuff.
Gail Staton

________
PurchDate: ?
Model: 2350 Sprinter
IntColor: ?
ExtColor: ?
________

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2014, 08:36:33 am »

To Ron and Tom,  I hope things stay as they are and your dreams stay dreams.

Ron,  We saw the 2100 in Tampa.  It was the first one we entered on the lot and were impressed.  As I recall there is storage in just one of the dinette benches.    I don't remember what was in the other but it was packed with stuff.  I'm sure with your ingenuity you could have all of it moved and have your 2 storage areas.  LOL

Tom,  I understand your dream .  We purchased our 2005  22' Sprinter new and  have enjoyed all of its 90,000 miles.  If we didn't love it so much, it would make it a lot easier to let it go and make a new purchase .

Gail 
RheaNL

Helpful Rating: 11
________
PurchDate: October 4, 2012
Model: 2100
ModelYear: 2013
IntColor: Dusk
ExtColor: Dusk lower
________

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2014, 11:32:11 pm »

We own and love the 2100. The dinnette bench next to the fridge has furnace vents. You can store some small not heavy stuff in there, but either you cannot run the furnace or what is in there cannot be damaged by the heat when you do run the furnace. There is the storage space on the rear and we have gotten creative inside and find the storage more than sufficient. Part of our philosophy is that if it does not fit, we really don't need it. After years of tent camping and only taking what would fit in the car, the 2100 feels like a castle.
racephoto

Helpful Rating: 4
________
PurchDate: 4/1/2013
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2014, 09:53:25 pm »

I have a no-slide 2100.  The couch as-is is not terrifically comfy but doable.  I picked up a Coleman SUV Quickbed air mattress that fits like it's made for it and that's way better.  However, I grew weary of making and unmaking the couch into a bed, and storing all the bedding, so I now leave the dinette made up full time.  As Ron said, that makes a lot more storage room available, including the fact that I no longer need to store the bedding.  Pics of my rig are here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/111242799135308646733/PhoenixCruiserPC2100?noredirect=1

I do have much less bedding now, I was carrying memory foam, sleeping bags & air mattresses for both beds, but I've gotten rid of most it....if I have company it will be BYOB.  :-)

blifsey

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2014, 10:26:09 pm »

Great thread and enjoyed your photo album racephoto!  Hopefully in a year or two our son will be out of college and we can get serious about a smaller MH.  The 2100, 2350 and 2400 all seem like great units!
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2014, 11:02:28 pm »

I too enjoyed racephoto's (Gail's) pics along with her creative ideas.  I love her little rig.  

I did find it interesting that the 2350 weighs only 305 pounds more than a 2100, neither having a slide out.  That comes to 122 pounds per linear foot.  I realize it is not linear, but still interesting.  I wonder how the 2450 compares.  I had assumed it would be better on an E450 chassis, but now think the E350 would do it best as PC-USA is supplying.  I think the 2450 wheel base is that of a 2551 which would place more weight forward where most extra chassis capacity resides.  The 2450 would have a much better balance load, maybe preventing rear sag.  The stock 2100 and the 2350 both have a bit of a rear end sag to them when all loaded up, ours included.  I've always thought we could benefit from rear air bags to bring up the rear by a couple inches.  But I really don't have issues with it a tad low in back.  It does clear the garage door without a worry right now.  With air bags, I'd have to remember to let the air out before driving in.  It's a tight fit already.

Gail, Your 2100 does not appear to have the common sag.  Do you have air bags in back?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 12:27:38 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

racephoto

Helpful Rating: 4
________
PurchDate: 4/1/2013
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2014, 10:57:50 am »

Nope, no air bags.  Not sure what may have been done to the suspension as I bought it used, but the seller didn't talk up any upgrades and one would think he would have.  I love the high ground clearance.....I'd be terrified with some of the rigs out there and their low ground clearances.  Being fairly short, when I level it, I sometimes have to use a stepstool at the door,  but it's a small price to pay.  Thanks for the compliments on the pics.

Gail

ColoRockiesFan

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2014, 08:18:28 pm »

Thanks everyone! Just the info I needed on the 2100 ... now my choice is even more difficult!  Grin
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print

Jump to: