Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Fire extinguishers, suggestions please  (Read 327 times)
AMW

Helpful Rating: 19
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: July/2014
Model: 2100
ModelYear: 2015
Slide: No
IntColor: Toast
ExtColor: Sterling
________

2015 2100-stretch

View Profile
« on: August 19, 2014, 11:27:22 pm »

The discussion of hot areas in the cab and passenger area got me wondering about fire hazards with the carpeting and in general. I'm looking for good ideas to secure fire extinguishers in accessible spots without being in the way. I managed to get one into the rear compartment and another behind the driver seat, but I have three more and not many tall spots (about 17") available. In particular I'd like one at each door somehow, reachable from inside and outside. Ideas?

Ann W.
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 190
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2012
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 07:43:05 am »

I put ours between the passengers seat and the euro chair on the wing near the floor. I don't have any heat problem like some of the others.

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
Barry-Sue
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 319
________
PurchDate: 10/17/11
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2012
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 09:24:42 am »

AMW

I'm not sure if you have room next to your entry door to mount a fire extinguisher there but this is what we did.

We wanted the fire extinguisher close to the entry door but out of sight and still easy to get at.  Our solution was to store the fire extinguisher between the doorframe and the cabinet in the wing area.  The fire extinguisher is concealed by a piece of matching cherry.  The wood is held in place by friction and is easily removed by a simple flick of the wrist.  The fire extinguisher then becomes easily accessible and ready for use.  (Need to login to see pictures)

I added a fire extinguisher label on the front cover and side of doorframe to help anyone else locate the fire extinguisher.

Barry

« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 09:42:00 am by Barry-Sue » Logged

Barry and Sue 
Current   2012 2551 w/Slide
Previous 2008 2350 w/Slide
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 179
________
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 11:18:46 am »

We have one right where PC-USA mounted it against the kitchen cabinet by the main entry door.  It seems ideal for both inside and outside coverage, and has never been in our way.  I never considered additional extinguishers, but if I did get a second one, I think I would mount it in the outdoor rear storage compartment, a place to get to if the inside is too filled with smoke.  It is also located opposite the engine area.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 11:22:38 am by ron.dittmer » Logged

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
AMW

Helpful Rating: 19
________
PurchDate: July/2014
Model: 2100
ModelYear: 2015
IntColor: Toast
ExtColor: Sterling
________

2015 2100-stretch

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 12:55:27 pm »

Barry, nicely done.  My coach door is in the rear but the pantry cabinet is right there and already has a tall space for the trash can on the bottom, so you have given me the idea to put one there...maybe two, both the ABC and the CO2.  So, only one more to figure out.  Since I will rarely have a passenger, I'd like to have one in front of the passenger seat, reachable from the outside through the passenger cab door.
Ron, for some reason there was no extinguisher in my vehicle from PC, but the ones manufacturers supply are usually very small.  I have always had multiple extinguishers in every vehicle, with the goal of fast accessibility from inside and outside, at each door, and each corner of the unit if possible...and they are about 17" tall, 7" diameter, so I do have to sacrifice space for them.  My 3 CO2 units rate 5 sqft coverage each, and my 2 ABC units rate 10 sqft coverage each.  That seems like barely enough to me, and I was thinking of adding a third ABC unit and maybe increasing all the sizes.  I guess I'm just paranoid, but with all the fuel, engine, generator, LP hot water/furnace/refrig, and electrical running through the paper walls everywhere...an RV seems very high fire hazard to me.

Ann W.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: