Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: REFINSIH THOSE YELLOW LATCHES AND TRIM  (Read 144 times)
Sparky
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 39
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: 12/12
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2008
Slide: No
________

View Profile
« on: August 20, 2014, 09:53:33 am »

I saw this tip on RV.com  pretty neat way to make the PC look nice.    sorry the pics did not copy but here is the sight if you want to see the pictures.

http://www.rvtravel.com/?q=daily-rv-tips-issue3029453

RVing Tip of the Day
Refinish those worn-out exterior RV hatches and trim from doityourselfrv.com

Tired of yellowing RV hatches, vents and trim? Consider this method for making the yellow disappear and the pieces look brand-new again! Cost effective, too!
Sun, rain, wind and dust all take their toll on exterior finishes. Perhaps some of the most obviously affected areas of your RV are the hatches, trim pieces and other random plastic inserts that dot the outside. These pieces start out white and begin to slowly turn yellow or brown over time.
You could start the process of removing and replacing every piece with a shiny new one at a considerable cost OR you could use this cost-effective method.
All you'll need is elbow grease, sandpaper, tape and some specialty paint.
An RV owner who goes by the name "Quicksilver" at the GlamisDunes Forum shared this method. He was annoyed with the yellowing RV hatches and trim that housed his dump hose, outside shower and other similar connections.
Materials needed:
Spray paint (Krylon Fusion was used in this case. There are many colors to choose from.)
Painter's tape
Sandpaper (320 grit was used here)
Caulk sealant (optional)
Procedure:
Sand each piece that you intend to paint, scoring the surface so the paint will stick.
Tape off the pieces to avoid over-spray of the paint.
Start the painting.
Repeat coats as needed. In this example there were three coats.
Run a new bead of caulk sealant around each piece after paint dries, if necessary.
This simple method can be used for other surfaces on your RV as well. Roof vents and coverings can also be painted. You could fix up all sorts of plastic pieces on your RV, including side mirror housings, tire well trim and door handles.

sparky

TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 183
________
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: 11/11/11
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2012
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 10:51:26 am »

Several years ago when I had a white Chinook I read about a purple spray. I think it was called purple power but not sure anymore. I got it in the auto section of the store. Sprayed it on the yellow, waited a few seconds and wiped it off. I did that a couple of times and it was back to white. Then I sprayed on Protect all.  You might want to try this before going to all the work of sanding and painting. If it doesn't work, then paint.

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 177
________
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 11:06:48 am »

Like you say Sparky, unpainted rigs have a collection of raw plastic parts & trim that yellows from sun exposure.

I had wondered if our rig was unpainted with yellowed components, I might consider having the entire rig painted, even if only plain white.  But that provides opportunity for something more extravagant.  Taking the rig to just anywhere can cost a fortune, but the factory might be able to bring the cost down to consideration.

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: