Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Step extends/retracts by itself  (Read 976 times)
mtownsen

Helpful Rating: -1
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: April 2010
Model: 2900
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: Yes
________

View Profile
« on: July 07, 2010, 11:57:58 pm »

2007 PC. When we first got this a month or so ago we went north, and returned down a reasonably twisty stretch of highway - the 128 from Highway 1 on the Pacific Coast to the 101.

Nearing the end of the 128 there was an bang as if something had hit the undercarriage. When I stopped to look the step was hanging free, as the pin that held the actuator arm onto the swinging part of the step had bent and stripped the cotter pin. I fixed it temporarily by using a screw driver to replace the pin, and we made it home. However my wife did notice from the mirror on her side that every know and then the step would extend and retract automatically. i put it down to losing the screwdriver, but when we got home the screwdriver was still there, and the assembly was still driving the step.

Anyhow, replaced the screwdriver with the pin (FYI - most hardware stores do not have the right size, go to a marine store instead), and everything was fine for another 200-300 miles or so. We looked frequently but never saw the step extend/retract on it's own again.

This week, returning from the same campground, down the same stretch of road, and low and behold, the step starts it's in and out dance again. Each time it closes it does it with quite a whack, so now I am wondering if it's this action that bent the pin in the first place.

Do I just have a ghost in the machine, or is there something mechanical or electrical I should be looking for ?

Cheers - Mark T
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 175
________
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 10:30:29 am »

When the entry door is closed, there is a bolt that throws the step switch either open or closed.  Maybe that bolt is loose or needs to be adjusted longer.  It is adjustable and once in a great while it could need adjusting.  Maybe it's not applying enough force to the switch to keep it in that position, or the switch itself is corroded inside and has intermittent behavior.  Another cause might be that the switch itself became loose.  It simply may need to be mounted tight again.

One way or the other, the problem is most likely related to the switch and/or bolt/actuator.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 12:04:54 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
mtownsen

Helpful Rating: -1
________
PurchDate: April 2010
Model: 2900
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 06:52:58 pm »

That makes sense. When we first did the PMI, one of the problems was that the step didn't always close when the door was closed. They adjusted the bolt, but maybe they didn't go far enough, and as the frame flexes while driving it's triggering the open/close sequence. We have also seen wire corrosion in other areas so will check the wires as well.

Based on this, do you think the pin bending and shearing the cotter pin is just coincidental ? I do have a large lump of a son who liked landing on the step from the doorway with both feet and all 250+ lbs of weight until I politely told him to desist.

Cheers - Mark T
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 175
________
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 07:21:27 pm »

I could not imagine the step surviving a 250 pound person jumping down the 7-9" to it without something going wrong.  I am 180 pounds and I step down gently to assure nothing with the step mechanizm deforms.  It seems a bit weak to me as most RV steps are.

Make sure the support arms or anything else is not bent.  If they are, make them right.  I would think everything needs to be put back to normal if you have any chance of the step working reliably.

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
Bob Mahon
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 58
________
PurchDate: 6/2011
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2011
IntColor: Tan/Gray/Cherry
ExtColor: Lower Slate Gray
________

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 08:47:20 am »

We've had the very same thing happen.................and it's still happening (all the adjustments I've made only stops it for a short while).

Even though I'd bet good money the door switch is buggered, I'm going to temporarily install a manual switch in place of the door switch to verify that before I start replacing anything.

Carry on, regardless..................
"In God we trust" to save our country and bring our troops safely home.
minpin

Helpful Rating: 0
________
________

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 03:06:47 pm »

I have a 2350 2010 and my steps would go in and out by themselves even when driving down the road.  The step switch itself goes through the door jamb and on the back side (through the stairwell box) there are two slide connectors on the end of the switch that stick through.  One of those wire connectors was touching the metal of the stairwell box intermitently. I filed the metal hole in the box a little bigger and all was well.  Look at this from up underneath the motorhome.
Bob Mahon
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 58
________
PurchDate: 6/2011
Model: 2552
IntColor: Tan/Gray/Cherry
ExtColor: Lower Slate Gray
________

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010, 05:09:31 pm »

Minpin,

Now that's what I expected but haven't looked at it yet. Sounds like a simple fix. Thanks for that.

BTW, we just returned from a 7-week 10,565 mile trip that included PA to CA then north on 1 & 101 to OR & WA.
We meandered back and did a lot of incidental touring.

Aside from new tires (which are terrific), a new steering damper (busted by the tire installer) and loose battery connectors, all was good except for that darned step problem.

We're having fun.............................

Carry on, regardless..................
"In God we trust" to save our country and bring our troops safely home.
lgall

Helpful Rating: 2
________
PurchDate: 10-2011
Model: 2400 Sprinter
IntColor: green
ExtColor: green
________

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2010, 07:32:11 am »

i had this problem and fixed it by taking the two grounds off the frame by the steps and cleaning them.that fixed my problem.hope this helps

LG
gradygal
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 87
________
PurchDate: March 2012
Model: 2910
ModelYear: 2013
IntColor: cherry
ExtColor: slate gray full body paint
________

our 3rd PC--Custom 2910

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2010, 05:40:31 am »

We just experienced the same problem in a shopping mall while in Halifax, Nova Scotia.

It had been raining all day. When we got back to our campsite, checked under the step and the wiring was wet. Water dripped from the wrap of electric tape.

Dried it up and that seemed to solve the problem for now.

When we get home, I will examine and reseal with heat shrink tape.

George

Judi and George Nicholson
Punta Gorda FL
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: