Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Heading west from Michigan to Yellowstone and then Utah  (Read 1667 times)
Barry-Sue
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 296
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: 10/17/11
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2012
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« on: August 04, 2010, 06:22:56 pm »

We are planning to leave in 3 weeks in our 2008 2350 for a 5 week trip out West.  We are planning to stop at Mt. Rushmore, Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, then Vegas and finally do the NPs in Utah.  Any suggestions for campgrounds would be appreciated.  Any ideas for routes to avoid would also help.  We will be towing our 2004 cavalier as well.

Thanks

Barry and Sue

Barry and Sue 
Current   2012 2551 w/Slide
Previous 2008 2350 w/Slide
Bob Mahon
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 58
________
PurchDate: 6/2011
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2011
IntColor: Tan/Gray/Cherry
ExtColor: Lower Slate Gray
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 09:08:22 pm »

I suggest you make a stop at Crazy Horse. It's pretty darn neat when you consider it's being made by a single family.

As for CGs; we've not had any bad luck with KOA.

Carry on, regardless..................
"In God we trust" to save our country and bring our troops safely home.
mtownsen

Helpful Rating: -1
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: April 2010
Model: 2900
ModelYear: 2007
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 11:20:56 pm »

We just came back from Utah - can also recommend the KOAs and definitely the one at Bryce Canyon/Cannonville. We couldn't get into the one by Grand Canyon so also stayed at the one at Flagstaff, also very serviceable.

Cheers - Mark T
kevin

Helpful Rating: 22
________
PurchDate: 9/2010
Model: 3100
IntColor: Maple
ExtColor: White
________

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 08:07:27 am »

Devil's Tower has a KOA and they show Close Encounters every evening (or they did when we were there) with the Tower as a backdrop.  Are you going through Chicago, across the Lake or through the U.P.?
kevin
Bob Mahon
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 09:08:44 am »

I lived in MI for 15 years and was able to hunt the UP a lot.

I-75 north of Saginaw gets pretty nice and making the trip through the UP is much nicer than taking I-94 West to I-80 or I-75 South to I-80. AND you can go from St. Ignace to Mackinac Island on the Ferry.
We stayed at the KOA on US 2 West (Lake Michigan Scenic Highway) about 4 miles from the Ferry when we were there in 2008 (they run a shuttle to the Ferry).
However, US 2 west of there was closed for a short stretch and we had to go around the Cut River Ravine. The detour (Cut River Rd.) was no trouble for a 36-foot Alpine towing an Edge so a PC can do it with no worries.

Above all, have a safe, trouble-free trip. You'll probably want to do it again.

Bob & Peg Mahon

Barry-Sue
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2010, 01:03:46 pm »

Thanks for the responses.  We almost forgot about Crazy Horse. 

We will be going the I-94 route.  We've done the UP on several occassions and travel the Northern part of MI quite frequently.  It is beautiful!

Allready packing the motorhome.  Can't wait to go.

Barry and Sue

Barry and Sue 
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 168
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2010, 05:13:28 pm »

Hi Barry and Sue,

We too are leaving for a western trip. We are leaving Maryland on Sat. morning Aug. 28 and hope to get to the Elkhart campground that day. Then we are headed to Minn./St. Paul on Sunday. Monday we drive to Medora, ND for the outdoor play and pitch fork dinner on Tues. 8/31. Wed will be onto Billings, Mt. Thursday we take the Beartooth Hwy into Yellowstone and Gardiner, Mt. Will stay in that area for three or four days. Then we don't know where we are going, but will end up going into Rocky Mountain NP for a couple of days and Pikes Peak cog RR maybe. We will be gone for three weeks.

My question for you, and anyone else that knows the area, is how to get around or through Chicago. I am thinking of taking I80 from Elkhart to I39 north towards Madison. Somehow I end up on I94. This would be early Sunday morning as we plan on leaving Elkhart by 7:30AM. Please help on Chicago directions. The last time I drove through Chicago it was a nightmare. And they let me pay a few hundred tolls. rolling on the floor 

Thank you
Tom

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
kevin

Helpful Rating: 22
________
PurchDate: 9/2010
Model: 3100
IntColor: Maple
ExtColor: White
________

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2010, 10:30:20 pm »

A little west of Bluff in SE Utah is Valley of the Gods - very pretty-and nearby is Gooseneck State Park & an overlook I think called Mulely Point from which you peek down on Gooseneck.  To get to Muley Pt you go up a twisty road for a bit.  Have fun.
kevin
Bob Mahon
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2010, 08:00:57 am »

If it were me, I'd take I-80 west to another highway going north. I-39 will do that and get you to Beloit where you can jog over to 90/94 to the Twin Cities. I'd go 100 miles out of my way to avoid Chicago and the Dan Ryan. And avoiding most of the tolls will offset the gas somewhat.

Barry-Sue
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2010, 08:21:53 pm »

Tom,

We do not do the Dan Ryan.  We are going to take 80 to 380 to 20 to 35 and then West on 90.  We are going to avoid Madison as well as Chicago.

Have a safe and wonderful trip.  Maybe we'll see you on the road.

Barry and Sue 

Barry and Sue 
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 168
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2010, 10:11:38 am »

Berry,

Thanks, I did not think that Madison would be that bad on a Sunday around noon.  Going that way, over going to Cedar Rapids save me 45 miles or 38 minutes (Streets and Trips).

If you do see us on the road, please stop and say Hi. We are driving a 2010  PC 2350, full paint in Umbra (Brown) with Maryland's new ugly plates. We will be in and round Gardiner and
the northern part of Yellowstone over the labor day weekend.

Tom

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
Jimbo

Helpful Rating: 1
________
PurchDate: July 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
IntColor: Cherry / Gray
ExtColor: Full Body Gray
________

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2010, 02:35:29 pm »

On our way to Alaska, we stopped by Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Yellowstone and Grand Tetons.  At Mt. Rushmore we stayed at Heartland RV Park for a few days since it's a Passport America campground.  If you're not familiar with Passport America, you get a 50% discount although some of the campgrounds have restrictions on when they offer the discount.  It was a little further from some places, but only $17.50/night.  If you stay there try the little pizza place called Lintz Brothers that is close to there.  They had the best pizza that we had eaten for awhile. 

On a previous trip to Yellowstone about 7 years ago, we entered in through the West Entrance and stayed at Grizzly RV Park in West Yellowstone which was very nice, but a little expensive.  Most private campgrounds around Yellowstone were ridiculous in what they charged.  Our trip lasted 7 weeks and there were 4 adults and 2 dogs in our model 2350.  Since most places charge extra for more than 2 adults, it was difficult to find anything cheaper than $60/night in that area.  This trip, on our way home, we even had to pay extra for our dogs.  It's bad enough that campgrounds charge extra for each adult over 2, but $5/night extra for having a pet is getting a little ridiculous. 

At Yellowstone we entered through the east entrance and dry camped at Bridge Bay.  Cost was $21.80/night.  Then we dry camped at Lewis Lake Campground inside Yellowstone.  Cost was $12/night.  On our way to Grand Tetons we stayed at Flagg Ranch campground which is between Yellowstone and Grand Tetons.  Convenient campground but we won't ever do that again.  Cost was $74.20 for 1 night.  The campground was just OK.  They only had 15 amp electric which required an adapter.  I have several of them and I couldn't find any of them in the RV.  I guess I forgot and left them at home so I had to buy one at about 4 times the normal price at their store.  With 4 adults in a model 2350, we used the campground showers more than the one in the RV since it has a very small grey water tank.  The showers at Flagg Ranch were filthy, missing shower heads, etc.  For what this place cost you would have expected more.  Unless you have to, I wouldn't stay there.

One word of warning since we were towing a 2009 Cobalt.  A lot of places to stop and see in Yellowstone have limited RV parking and some have no RV parking.  It was very frustrating trying to find a place to park when cars parked in the RV parking places even though there were plenty of parking spaces in the correct area for their car.  We had to miss seeing some things because of that.  If we had it to do over, we would have left the RV at the campground and used the tow car for seeing most of Yellowstone.

The national parks in Utah have been on my list to visit for several years.  Hopefully, we can make it there next year.

James & Jean
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: