Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Buying new  (Read 2313 times)
glenncc

Helpful Rating: 5
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: 1/4/2011
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2010
Slide: No
IntColor: Desert Sage
ExtColor: Desert Sage / Fullbody paint
________

View Profile
« on: August 09, 2010, 02:03:24 pm »

When those of you who bought new PCs were shopping for your motor home did the factory have models available for you to see or did you base your purchase strictly on information in the brochure and this forum?  I've bee watching for a 2100 non-slide model in inventory for months now and it has never appeared.  I'm wondering if the economy has forced PC to only build rigs as they are ordered as opposed to having them on hand for immediate sale?  Another approach would be to build them to a point where options would still be available to new buyers though I guess that would be limited as cabinetry and fabric color might have to be decided too far in advance. 

I've even searched the website for pics of sold 2100 non-slide units without success.  I am finding some used PCs on the market in the model I like and may have to do some traveling to check those out I guess.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 04:52:09 pm by Stuart » Logged

Glenn Canavan 2010 Model 2350 with no slide out.
kevin

Helpful Rating: 22
________
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: 9/2010
Model: 3100
ModelYear: 2011
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Maple
ExtColor: White
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 10:35:22 pm »

We went to the factory to either trade in our Coach House on a used one (Coach House) that had been traded in or buy a Phoenix Cruiser.  I had seen pictures of PC's in ads & had looked at the web page every now & then for a while.  After wandering about in the factory looking at the way the Phoenix is put together & watching people working and talking with them - asking questions, listening to them, asking if we could watch them & to kick us out of their way if need be, we ordered a new one to be built.  Why not have it mostly built with some things the way I want? It would be nice if we had a demo one with which to Cruise about; but, ours may be ready soon.

As my wife tells me that I drift about while answering questions, I reread your question and realized I did it again.  I don't think I can answer without wandering about - there is so much to say....By the way, what gives with people not wanting slides?  As we have never had one nor used one, we are looking forward to one.
I'll get gone now
kevin
Bob Mahon
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 59
________
PurchDate: 6/2011
Model: 2552
IntColor: Tan/Gray/Cherry
ExtColor: Lower Slate Gray
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 06:39:14 am »

Kevin,

I have never met an owner of a MH that did not do little things to their MH to "make it theirs". It seems to be the biggest commonality of us all.
We really like our Phoenix and believe you will like yours as well.

As for some people not wanting a slide or slides:
Slides provide more room but there are potential issues that go with that. Slides can leak, the mechanism can fail, they require maintenance and possibly adjustment, you have to learn to live with the squeaking that goes along with them and you must excercise care when running it out lest it hit something.

We've had MHs with and without slides and to be truthful, both have their advantages & disadvantages.

Ya pays yer money and takes yer chances.

Carry on, regardless..................
"In God we trust" to save our country and bring our troops safely home.
kevin

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 08:55:33 am »

I think a camper is like a one design sailboat.  We had a Hunter 260 until last week and all the other 260's we saw or heard about had different tweaks that had been done to personalize for what people want, need or just want to try out, tinker with.  I hope the slide doesn't squeak like a styrofoam box as we go rattling down the road.
kevin
NC Sailors

Helpful Rating: 19
________
________

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 09:11:26 am »

We have had no problems with the slide on our 2350S. Nor does it rattle or sqeek when retracted on the road.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ (\_ ~ (\_ ~ (\_~ ~ ~ ~
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 190
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 09:12:39 am »

Kevin,

You said "I hope the slide doesn't squeak like a styrofoam box as we go rattling down the road." I can only tell you that our slide does not squeak when traveling. I sprayed the rubber seal with heavy duty silcone spray to protect the seals and make it slide in/out better. We have had four motorhomes without slides and this is our second one with. I would not order a motorhome without slides again. The only reasons I see to not have a slide is the larger overhead cabinets and the added weight of the slide. When we park for the night, we walk around the motorhome checking of tress that are to close to the slide, awning, my flag pole or that might be rubbing the top of the camper in the wind. Wink Now if I can only figure out how to keep the kitchen tops quite on the road.

Hope you enjoy your new PC when you get it as much as we are.  ThumbsUp
Tom

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
Bob Mahon
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 59
________
PurchDate: 6/2011
IntColor: Tan/Gray/Cherry
ExtColor: Lower Slate Gray
________

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2010, 10:51:48 am »

The slide shouldn't squeak while driving regularly. But, there's a good chance it will when driving at moderate speeds on rough roads, which are abundant here in PA. It's just something you may have to tolerate from time-to-time.

I do not move the PC with the kitchen tops in place. They are loose items and under severe braking can become very dangerous when they try to exit through the windshield.

Carry on, regardless..................
"In God we trust" to save our country and bring our troops safely home.
glenncc

________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: 1/4/2011
Model: 2350 Ford
IntColor: Desert Sage
ExtColor: Desert Sage / Fullbody paint
________

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2010, 03:06:51 pm »

It appears my topic has been hijacked by whether or not a slide-out is practical.  If anyone still has a comment on my original post regarding how they chose their PC model whether by examining a motor home at the factory or by relying on the brochure and this forum I'd welcome it. 

Thanks, Glenn

Glenn Canavan 2010 Model 2350 with no slide out.
bobander
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 133
________
PurchDate: April 2010
Model: 2551
IntColor: Classic Umber
ExtColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2010, 03:28:15 pm »

Hi Glenn,

We got what we could from this forum and the PC website.  We new which model we wanted, but we needed to see it in person.  We checked with the only PC dealer in the west in Tempe, AZ and they had the model we were interested in.  We live in California and on our winter trip to Arizona this year we went by the dealer and checked it out.  We spent a few days in an RV park nearby and thoroughly checked out the new PC at the dealer, they were very patient with us.  We ended up ordering our 2010 2551 (with slide) through the dealer and picked it up two months later at the dealer.

Bob

2010  PC 2551
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 190
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2010, 04:01:56 pm »

glenncc,

Sorry if we highjacked your tread. When I bought my PC, I had seen them at a rally and then went to the factory to see how they are made. I had several modifications made to the uint to make it like I wanted. I got the 2350 due to the short lenght. My wife did not like the 2100 because of having to cook next to/over the step going out the door. She said she knew sooner or later she would fall out the door. Our second choice would have been the 2551, but I was down sizing from a 35' class A and wanted to go all the way down I could. In all the looking we did and two trips to the factory, I still missed how high the toilet is mounted in the 2350. My wife can just touch the floor when using it. Oh well, we still love it.

You do not say where you live in your profile. You might want to call Stuart at the factory 877-754-8535 and tell him you would like to see a PC 2100. He has a lot of owners that are willing to show their rigs. Maybe there is someone near you. Tell Stuart that Tom Hanlon suggested you call him. If you buy he might even send me a thank you gift. If you are near me in Maryland, I would be glad to show you mine so you can see how they are made. Send me a PM if I can help.

Tom

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
Stuart

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2010, 04:53:55 pm »

In the last 10 years we might have built 10 21' no-slide motorhomes.  Cry We would also NEVER build a motorhome that was not sold without a slide out.  98% of RV'S built today have slides and that is what people mostly want.
Our business has been record setting (the good way) ThumbsUp since we went factory direct.  We try to build open inventory but usualy sell it before it hits the end of the assembly line.  I guess in ways this is a good problem.  exactly! We could increase production but Kermit will not allow us as he feels it takes down the quality and increases problems.
If anyone wants to see a certain model please check with me as I might have a customer close that would be willing to show theres.  I pay $500.00 to anyone that shows there coach and helps me sell a new Phoenix.
Stuart
PJ Corey

Helpful Rating: 3
________
PurchDate: 4/2010
________

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2010, 05:01:13 pm »

We had done a great deal of investigation of the Winnebago View before we bought it.  We loved the View but all the investigation in the world didn't tell us how the motor home would be to live in for a week or a month.  I still miss that View because of its many fine details but it did not work for sleeping nor for our dogs.  We chose the Phoenix Cruiser 2550 new because of the twin beds and because we felt it would work for a week or a month traveling with our dogs.  It does that.  I much preferred the View's kitchen and pantry but we will make do with the smallish Phoenix Cruiser kitchen and have made a pantry out of one of the closets hanging over one of the beds.  The View was far more nimble to drive but we are getting used to the heavier PC. We had to spend plenty to install heavier sway bars and shocks on the View and we have had to do the same on the Phoenix Cruiser.  I had serious buyer's remorse after selling the View and purchasing the PC but am getting more used to the new rig.   And so on.   In other words, nothing is perfect and choices have to be made or given up.    
kevin

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2010, 07:21:17 pm »

Sorry about the hijack-sidetrack-semisequitor, I must be used to the trailersailors being a little adrift at times and sliding around the bush a bit until Phil yanks their painter. 

Brochure - somewhat -a basic info source & good background knowledge for you.

Forum ...well, a qualified yes in that most people posting liked their PC's and mostly improved them or asked how to fix stuff, not a bunch of belly grumbling types.  People seemed proud of having a Phoenix.  Kermit appeared to be available to offer assistance as reported in the forum.  In my opinion the positive was way better than the neg. which I seem to remember from somewhere; but, not even what is was.  Most people seemed quite gruntled. We used to think coach house was the best.  That is why we bought a new one in 1997.  We went to Phoenix Cruiser to buy a newer used CH and were blown away wandering around in the assembly area & yes, we have toured the CH plant a couple years ago.  They may have Armando, Phoenix has a back room full of him and Kermit.  Go see for yourself.
Hey Stuart, send us a picture of our Phoenix on the line, please
kevin
mwleung

Helpful Rating: 2
________
PurchDate: 6/2010
IntColor: tan
ExtColor: brown/sable
________

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2010, 08:38:13 am »

Wow - we are on our first 10 day trip from home and love our new PC-2551.  And yes we bought new already made from Stuart with no slide - a special situation.  Gotta say I agree with Ron Dittmer- I love no slide....everything gets put away immediately....no housekeeping messiness!  what you see is what you get....we love our new baby just the way she is.

posting from St Vrain Park, CO
MaryK
mciai2000
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 41
________
PurchDate: 09/2011
IntColor: grey
ExtColor: full body night shadow
________

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2010, 10:11:01 pm »

Well........ I guess you have a forum going here.   I never drove a Phoenix before or for that matter actually saw one.  I did lots of research on the internet and subscribe to Motorhome mag which had a great article.   I actually ruled out the Phoenix because of price but then one day they had a sale on a new 2350. I called Stuart and asked if the price was a mistake, well it was not and I put a deposit on it that day.  That left me with my 21 foot Winnebago that I had to sell. Sold that in a week and had my Phoenix delivered this spring.  Have to say, I am not displeased at all. Love, Love, Love that thing. Tow a jeep and take two kids and the better half. Has the power and the room and a slide to boot.  Passed many a motorhome on the way up to Maine. Lots of power.  Anyway, we are here in NE PA if you are in the area.  Would love to show it to you......BTW, no squeaks on the slide. Too well made to do that.   I should note that the slide is mechanical and not hydraulic like most. This creates an easy fix should the slide not slide in.  The phoenix has a manual bypass for retracting the slide. ThumbsUp

DJM

family is a passion...work is a requirement
2012 2552 full body paint(Phoenix # 2)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print

Jump to: