Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Roof Rack Ladder  (Read 897 times)
gl1500

Helpful Rating: 45
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: May. 2014
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2551/2014
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Hickory
ExtColor: Cafe'
________

View Profile
« on: August 24, 2010, 05:35:39 pm »

The roof rack is handy when needed to check anything on the roof. But, the majority of time it is an obstruction to get in the rear compartment.  My solution: Pull the pins, move the bottom free of the bottom brackets and then reinstall the pins.  Place the the lower portion of the ladder in the up or storage position.  I then use double sided velcro straps and wrap the upper and lower ladder sections vertical tubes(both sides).  Make them tight so they can not rattle and chafe each other.  Now I have free access to the rear compartment, but still have my ladder available if needed.  The double sided velcro comes in a roll and also becomes handy for securing a myriad of things.
   Bob
   Idaho 
Bob Mahon
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 58
________
PurchDate: 6/2011
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2011
IntColor: Tan/Gray/Cherry
ExtColor: Lower Slate Gray
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 07:50:20 am »

I do exactly the same thing as I go into the bay a lot more than I ever go onto the roof.
I had to do that in Wyoming to fix the antenna rattle that was driving me nuts.
It was extremely windy and I was almost blown off the roof.
I'm not big on using ladders.

Carry on, regardless..................
"In God we trust" to save our country and bring our troops safely home.
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 177
________
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 11:18:37 am »

When special ordering mine in 2007, I made a bold decision (bold to me anyway) to request the factory "Not" mount the roof rack or ladder, but instead place them inside the RV.  I disassembled and stored them in my basement.  So far I have not regretted that decision.  The only time I get up top is to wash the roof of which I use my home ladder for that.

I do admit I was initially inspired to leave them off to improve my walk-around clearence of the RV when parked inside my garage.  If I had the ladder attached, I'd have to open the garage door to get around the rig.  But I quickly appreciated the cleaner appearence, ease of washing, and less caulked-over holes in sensitive places.....ie the roof.

The only concern I have is when camping, if I tangle a branch in the a/c or other vent.  I don't have any way of getting up there to untangle it.  But given the PC is lower than most motor homes, the scenario is unlikely.  So far so good.

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 183
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 02:40:22 pm »

When I ordered my PC, I had them keep the rack, but to put the ladder on. The first morning after pickup, at 5:00 am, I found out how hard it is to see the little pins in the pins holding the ladder down can be in the dark. I found that I had two 3" pins with 2" rings on them that belonged to a trailers ball hitch. The pins fit perfectly in the holes for the orginal pins and don't need anything to hold them in. Using the orginal wire I attached the rings/pins to the ladder. Now I can just put the pin, let it hang from the ladder, raise the ladder and go for the truck. Works for me. I don't miss tripping over the rack when I need to get up on the roof. I hope to use the roof as a platform for taking pictures while we are in Yellowstone and on the Beartooth Highway, so the ladder will be very handy.

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 177
________
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 03:43:41 pm »

I hope to use the roof as a platform for taking pictures while we are in Yellowstone and on the Beartooth Highway, so the ladder will be very handy.
Just be careful up there.  Not only a concern of falling off, but also damaging the roof.

I weigh 180 pounds and sense the roof a bit soft for walking on.  I try to limiting myself to crawling on all fours and even then limitedly.  On rare occasion I'll stand barefoot on the roof to work the garden hose around the a/c or antenna when washing it.  It's not a comfortable feeling.

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 183
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 05:50:53 pm »

Ron, the way they built my roof, I bet we could have the entire girls softball team up there at one time. The roof is alot stronger than my old Winnie was. My only concern is how slick it gets when it is wet. I have my wife watch as I wash the roof, just in case I slip. She can count the number of times I bounce.  rolling on the floor

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
mciai2000
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 41
________
PurchDate: 09/2011
IntColor: grey
ExtColor: full body night shadow
________

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 09:24:31 pm »

Tom: Now that is funny!.

I send my 11 year old son up on the top when I need to wash or check on the roof. Cheer

Happy trails....

DJM

family is a passion...work is a requirement
2012 2552 full body paint(Phoenix # 2)
kevin

Helpful Rating: 22
________
PurchDate: 9/2010
Model: 3100
ModelYear: 2011
IntColor: Maple
ExtColor: White
________

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2010, 09:33:17 pm »

Wash the Roof?  Now, that's funny.javascript:void(0);
kevin
NLK

Helpful Rating: 15
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: August 2010
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2008
IntColor: Cherry / Gray
ExtColor: Gray full paint
________

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2010, 10:30:13 pm »

I also was annoyed with the roof rack ladder being in the way of the rear storage compartment.  This is what I did on my 2007 and 2008 2551 PC.  I removed the bottom section of the ladder and hinge by simply removing the screws.  I unscrewed and removed the pin brackets that are attached to the fiberglass body on the bottom.  I bought 1" caps made from plastic or rubber, black or white, and slipped the cap over the end of the ladder tubing. This made for a more finished appearance and eliminated the sharp edge that you could get injured on.  The caps are actually used for the bottom of chair legs to protect  flooring.  I put 2 small red adhesive backed reflectors over the bracket holes in the fiberglass.  I also put 2 more on the rear driver's side to make it look even across the rear.  If later on you decide you want the ladder installed again the reflectors can be removed with a hair blower and careful coxing.  Any sticky residual can be easily and safely removed with WD40.  I have gained a great deal of knowledge from everyone and can only hope that this will be helpful to someone and that I finally have made a useful contribution to this forum.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: