Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: hitch mount cargo carrier with bike rack attachment  (Read 2034 times)
rockrat

Helpful Rating: 2
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: April, 2010
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2010
Slide: Yes
IntColor: grey
ExtColor: umbra
________

View Profile
« on: August 28, 2010, 05:06:45 pm »

I have been searching everywhere for a hitch mount cargo carrier that comes with a detachable bike rack. Camping World carries such an item, but it was so unstable and wobbly that I think it is pretty unsafe to use. The regular type of bike rack just dosen't seems to work for our two bikes because the two bike frames are of different size and angle. If any one has a good suggestion, please give me the brand name and where it was purchased. Enclosed in the attachment is a picture of the bike rack I bought from Camping World, unfortunately, the rack is too small and not enough wheel surface can fit inside the loop to make it secure.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 11:38:12 am by aimee » Logged

2010 2350 with slideout
kevin

Helpful Rating: 22
________
PurchDate: 9/2010
Model: 3100
ModelYear: 2011
IntColor: Maple
ExtColor: White
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 10:00:56 pm »

hi rockrat, I got a bike rack from City Bike Shop in Traverse City which has curved thingies for holding each wheel from the bottom (the bike sits on it) and then an arm swings into place and  I slide a widget down on the front bike fender, holding the bike upright.  It is very stable & can be locked, both bike on rack & rack on (in) hitch.  I had a front hitch mounted on the CH and drove at highway speeds with no problems keeping the bikes steady.  Just a few bugs & things.  The rack worked really well on rear hitch, too.  I initially got a spiffy bag to go over the bikes, a hassle and couldn't see the headlights nor tail lights, so returned it to bike shop.  I plan on using the rack on the Phoenix (whenever that may be finished) & also now have a rack for my Piaggio scooter.  I tried a number of rack styles over the years & the one I have now seems to be the sturdiest style. 

kevin
northwest lower Michigan
kevin

Helpful Rating: 22
________
PurchDate: 9/2010
Model: 3100
ModelYear: 2011
IntColor: Maple
ExtColor: White
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 09:51:45 am »

Hi again, I looked at the bike carrier and it it made by Thule.  It also pivots up & out of the way when bikes aren't on it.  It was expensive; but, I think worth it in the long run as my wife no longer mentions her worry over the bikes falling off nor swinging around.
kevin
rockrat

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 12:20:15 pm »

Kevin

thanks for all the info. I went to the Thule website and looked up some of their hitch mount carrier. Are you referring to the model 917XT that has list price of $419.95? I do have two Thule roof rack, and Thule do make a very good product, but the cost is a little too pricy. I do want some sort of hitch mount cargo carrier that I can use it to carry some extra luggages just in case I want to hitch it to a toad. I like to make it multi-functional.

Donald

2010 2350 with slideout
NC Sailors

Helpful Rating: 19
________
________

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 01:10:23 pm »

We also have a cargo tray that fits into the receiver. We use a Swagman XC TwoBike Rack that holds our two bikes very securely. A Curt Multipurpose Ball Mount with 2" Receiver for Bike Racks and Cargo Carriers allows us to use both the bike rack and the cargo carrier at the same time. I also had a 2 in receiver added to the back end of our Smart Trailer to carry whatever at the tail end of the whole rig.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ (\_ ~ (\_ ~ (\_~ ~ ~ ~
rockrat

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 01:42:39 pm »

NC Sailor,

sorry for being dense. How can the curt multipurpose ball mount accept both the Swagman bike rack and the cargo tray at the same time?  Hope you can enlighten me and thanks in advance. 

Donald

2010 2350 with slideout
rockrat

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2010, 03:19:02 pm »

NC Sailor

I did some research. Do you mean a dual hitch receiver? with two receiver, I can put the Swagman on the top receiver and the cargo carrier on the bottom receiver and it will just work. Thanks

Donald

http://www.jcwhitney.com/jcwhitney/sku/images/large/I_533897_CL_1.jpg

2010 2350 with slideout
NC Sailors

Helpful Rating: 19
________
________

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2010, 04:31:54 pm »

Sorry for the confusion, I referenced the dual unit we use with the bike rack and the smart car trailer not the one for the cargo unit and the bike rack. The dual unit you found is the right one.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ (\_ ~ (\_ ~ (\_~ ~ ~ ~
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: