Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Dry camping with good batteries  (Read 597 times)
Marion

Helpful Rating: 1
________
________

View Profile
« on: September 18, 2010, 05:34:38 pm »

My wife and I took delivery of our 2010 2551S MH on April 2010 and had Phoenix to install a 2500 watt pure sine wave inverter/charger at the factory.  We knew from past dry camping experience we wanted more than what the factory offered.  After making a few runs camping to try out the new MH I took our the two 12volt batteries that came with the coach and installed (4) 220 amp hour 6 volt lifeline agm batteries, and that make our dry camping a lot more enjoyable.  I installed the new batteries in the fiberglass compartment next to the compartment where the 12 volt batteries were before, of course I had to brace the bottom to support the weight.  I still have plans to put some solor on the roof like our old coach had. but haven't got there yet. 
We went dry camping a couple week-ends ago and with the inverter on we watched lots of TV using the satellite, ran the micowave several times preparing food made two pots of coffe ran one light all night long used the curling iron and hair dryer the next morning plus the regular 12volt stuff and not once started the generator.  I left with a 60% charge left in the batteries according to the digital read out on the invertor.
We really like our new MH and now like how everything is set up and working for us.  The factory has been really great to us. 
Lots of happy camping to all.
Marion
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 180
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2010, 05:57:16 pm »

Marion,

You have one amazing setup with so much reserve capacity.  Thanks for sharing!

We too dry camp most of the time with a rare oppertunity to plug in.  I considered a solar panel (or two) and 6V batteries, but decided to keep things as-is for cost and simplicity.

We replaced our 3 year old factory original batteries two months ago with a pair of Walmart's biggest (with the yellow label), which just make it in the tray.  For how we utilize facilities, they held up very well during our three week trip in August.  I do suppliment charging.  You can read more about my charging and power consumption story here:
http://phoenixusarv.com/community/index.php?topic=73.0
Keep in-mind our rig is a 2007 with the earlier Tripp-Lite invertor.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 06:00:13 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: