Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Dual tire Inflator Problem  (Read 649 times)
Margie

Helpful Rating: 3
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: 10/09
Model: 2350 Sprinter
ModelYear: 2010
Slide: Yes
ExtColor: Full body paint/latte
________

View Profile
« on: September 16, 2010, 07:04:03 pm »

Just wanted to let everyone know what happened to us on our recent trip.  We have a 2010 2350 Sprinter with the dual tire inflators.  We heard a noise which my husband thought was gravel.  I thought it sounded more like the tanks were falling off.  We were on a back road but a good paved road looking for our campsite and traveling about 45 mph.  A car behind us beeped at us and we pulled over.  He said that our hubcap had fallen off into the ditch.  We stopped to check out the tires.  We found that the inner dual tire had no valve stem in it.  The valve stem was pulled totally out of the rim and the tire was totally without any air pressure.  The outside dual tire was about three-fourths full but was leaking fast.  The braided steel extender had broken off near the rim and was leaking air.  My husband immediately removed the broken extender from the valve to stop the leak.  This left us with about one-half of the tire pressure in the outside dual.  Fortunately for us, we were about a half mile from the interstate highway where there was an all night service center for trucks.  They changed out our inner dual with our spare tire and inflated our outside dual.  The next day, we went to a tire center and replaced the valve stems in both tires, removed the braided extenders from the other dual tires and had them install smaller extenders that do not need to be bolted to the hubcaps.  When the hubcap fell off, it also did damage to the fender well of the coach that will need about $800 of body work.  We were very fortunate that this happened where it did so we could get help and go on with our trip.  My husband is very thorough about checking the coach before and during our trips.  We are thinking that the vibrations just loosened things up.  I'm not sure if there is a better solution to avoiding this problem in the future.         
Dick & Trish

Helpful Rating: 4
________
PurchDate: 09/2010
Model: 3100
ModelYear: 2011
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: ,Umber
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 08:33:49 pm »

Thank you for the 'heads up'.  I'll double check our tires tomorrow before leaving our site.
mciai2000
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 41
________
PurchDate: 09/2011
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: grey
ExtColor: full body night shadow
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 09:48:08 pm »

yikes!.  That sounds like a manufacturers defect. Not necessarily PC but may be hubcap company.  I would call Kermit to see about covering the costs...

Glad all are ok.

DJM

family is a passion...work is a requirement
2012 2552 full body paint(Phoenix # 2)
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 181
________
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 11:31:32 pm »

Thank you for the 'heads up'.  I'll double check our tires tomorrow before leaving our site.
I agree.  Thanks!

I carry a tiny tire repair kit which includes a high pressure air pump.  It's seems to be of good quality, yet very small in a nice carry case.  Walmart has them for around $50.  It would have allowed you to put in the max tire pressure in the one tire, especially benefitial if help is far away.
This is it.  BTW: I wouldn't use the slime stuff, but rather plug a puntured tire using the kit, while still mounted on the motor home.  Then fill-n-go.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 11:39:50 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: