Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Is a slide-out practical?  (Read 1530 times)
glenncc

Helpful Rating: 5
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: 1/4/2011
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2010
Slide: No
IntColor: Desert Sage
ExtColor: Desert Sage / Fullbody paint
________

View Profile
« on: September 29, 2010, 03:16:12 pm »

Since my posted message of August 9, 2010 on "Buying New" prompted a lot of discussion on slide-outs I thought it would be interesting to see how many advantages vs. disadvantages we can list for a slide-out.  I've given it a lot of thought and know from the sales of units with slide-outs that I am in the minority, but I am definitely not sold on slide-outs.  Here are the advantages and disadvantages I can see for a slide-out to get things started.  I challenge owners of rigs with slide-outs to find more advantages for them than disadvantages. 

Advantages of a slide-out:

- Added floor space

Disadvantages of a slide-out:

- Added weight to the chassis
- Reduced cargo carrying capacity
- Smaller storage compartments associated with the slide-out
- Smaller couch/dinette in slide-out space
- Weakened structural integrity of coach wall
- Reduced R-factor for insulation
- Introduction of moisture, dirt, and insects when slid inside the rig
- Potential for water leaks
- Maintenance of mechanism and gaskets
- Expense of option

Let's all play nice now...  Smile
Glenn

Glenn Canavan 2010 Model 2350 with no slide out.
PJ Corey

Helpful Rating: 3
________
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: 4/2010
Model: 2551
Slide: Yes
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 04:32:37 pm »

Glenn, your pro/cons are all true.  We have a 2010 2551S and that slide is giving us fits.  I felt it was a problem soon after we bought it and found that the roller dug into the carpet leaving a deep indentation and permanent discoloration.  I called Stuart and he said to have it looked at.  Had it looked at and was told it was "typical" of a  Phoenix Cruiser. Now the slide is scratching the wall and is ripping the vinyl in front of the fridge.  In fact, when we opened it last week on a camping trip in Utah bits of wood came up from under it.   If that is "typical" of a Phoenix Cruiser then I'm a real unhappy PC owner!  I'm calling Stuart tomorrow. 

Would I consider a slide again?  Perhaps.  We had a positive experience with the slide we had on our Winnebago View.  Maybe that was pure luck.  Now, after the slide in this motor home I would rethink a slide in the future. The test will be to find out from a knowledgeable person what exactly is causing the scratching and gouging with this slide and get it fixed. 

Paula
Santa Fe
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 180
________
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 04:35:44 pm »

I will add one in the "Advantages" to help balance the list better.  But you know how I feel about slide-outs, right?

- having a slide-out would make the RV more marketable for resale because most people want a slide-out
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 04:39:02 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
lghjr
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 41
________
OwnPC: No
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: Used to own a 2700
Model: 2700
ModelYear: 2007
________

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 09:43:16 pm »

Advantage

Marital blisssssssssss.

Sorry, but the added space does fall in that column.

There is not enough additional weight carrying capacity or places to put the weight imho to offset the space.

And the two slides were a definite selling point for us.

L. G.
bobander
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 133
________
PurchDate: April 2010
IntColor: Classic Umber
ExtColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 11:12:20 pm »

We have a 2010 2551S and the added floor space out weighed the listed disadvantages for us.  It is obviously a personal preference choice and we really like ours.  The E450 has plenty of weight carrying capacity to handle the slide on the 2551 and still have plenty of cargo carrying capacity, other models may differ so check them out carefully for CCC.

We have been on the road for five weeks and pulled into an RV park in Santa Fe, Nm yesterday.  We had only seen one other PC in the five weeks and it was going the other way on the freeway.  I was surprised to see another PC here in the park and later we met the owners and it was L. G. from the previous reply.  So now I can put a face to L. G. whenever I see his posts -- small world.

Bob

2010  PC 2551
Bob Mahon
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 59
________
PurchDate: 6/2011
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2011
IntColor: Tan/Gray/Cherry
ExtColor: Lower Slate Gray
________

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 06:49:50 am »

We've had a number of motor homes and have enjoyed them. When discussing However, to use the OP's word, perhaps a bigger question is whether it truly practical to have a motor home at all?
There are those that argue they are not and considering the initial cost, poor fuel economy, ongoing maintenance and depreciation, debating them can be a bit dicey. But, in our case, the advantages of having one, based on personal preferences and lifestyle, present adequate support upon which to make a decision.

All the points made against having a slide, in my opinion, are viable and it's simply a matter for personal choice when making that final decision. I will add that when time to sell it arrives, for whatever reason, any motor home with a slide will be more appealing to prospective buyers.

I believe it all comes down to what I call the "Giggle factor" (how many dollars are you willing to spend per giggle?).

Carry on, regardless..................
"In God we trust" to save our country and bring our troops safely home.
PJ Corey

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2010, 09:59:04 am »

I have justified the cost of this motor home by calling it my second home.  In this case, though, I can take my second home anywhere I want to go and not be stuck in one place.  The flexibility of a motor home over a stationary second home is a major plus, IMHO.  And less expensive.

Back to the slide issue:  yes, they do add to the resale value of a used motor home.  And, the added space is a bonus.  I like them.  But as I posted, we have problems with ours and that makes me cranky.  Hope to get it looked at and resolved soon. 

Paula
Santa Fe
mwleung

Helpful Rating: 2
________
PurchDate: 6/2010
IntColor: tan
ExtColor: brown/sable
________

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2010, 08:33:33 am »

Glen - Sign me up for your team!! I ditto your list!

WE have a new 2551...no slide.  Because we are 2 women traveling alone we need as few variables as possible in terms of WHAT CAN GO WRONG!  The no slide option is fabulous for us....all a matter of preferences I guess!
PJ Corey

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2010, 07:01:39 pm »

I took our 2010 2551S down to Albuquerque today to have our slide problems checked out.  We left her there and will trust that the rv service people and Kermit will work it all out.   

A slide is important to us because we travel with two dogs at 55-60 pounds each.  Plus, we would like a slide even if the dogs were not traveling with us.  Slides can be problematic, or not.  Our slide is giving us fits at the moment but Kermit has been so responsive that, again, I think it will be resolved. 

Paula
Santa Fe
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: