Since my posted message of August 9, 2010 on "Buying New" prompted a lot of discussion on slide-outs I thought it would be interesting to see how many advantages vs. disadvantages we can list for a slide-out. I've given it a lot of thought and know from the sales of units with slide-outs that I am in the minority, but I am definitely not sold on slide-outs. Here are the advantages and disadvantages I can see for a slide-out to get things started. I challenge owners of rigs with slide-outs to find more advantages for them than disadvantages.
Advantages of a slide-out:
- Added floor space
Disadvantages of a slide-out:
- Added weight to the chassis
- Reduced cargo carrying capacity
- Smaller storage compartments associated with the slide-out
- Smaller couch/dinette in slide-out space
- Weakened structural integrity of coach wall
- Reduced R-factor for insulation
- Introduction of moisture, dirt, and insects when slid inside the rig
- Potential for water leaks
- Maintenance of mechanism and gaskets
- Expense of option
Let's all play nice now...