Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Questions for new 2350  (Read 2627 times)
echo11

Helpful Rating: 6
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: 4/18/2011
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2011
Slide: No
IntColor: maple/ biege
ExtColor: umbre
________

View Profile
« on: October 01, 2010, 03:41:29 pm »

I am in the process of ordering a 2350 without a slide.  I would like to get feedback on how to order the front passenger seat.-power or swivel?  What do you have and are you happy with what you have? 

Also, I am going to get a cover on one of the fantastic fans for better ventilation.  Would you choose to have it on the bathroom fan or the main area fan?

Thanks for your help.  This forum has been a great resource!
glenncc

Helpful Rating: 5
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: 1/4/2011
ModelYear: 2010
IntColor: Desert Sage
ExtColor: Desert Sage / Fullbody paint
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 03:57:48 pm »

Personally I would choose the swivel passenger seat because it adds extra comfortable seating to the coach when camped.  It is also less important for the passenger to be able to adjust their seat setting while in motion as there are no pedals or steering wheel to take into consideration. 

It would also seem logical to cover the vent over the living area as opposed to the shower as it would do no damage for it to rain in the shower. 

If you've read my last post you know I think you are very smart to go without the slide-out!  What are you going to do about thermapane windows?  That's one I'm still wrestling with as many people report that the seals break with all the motion of the RV and then the windows get condensation between the panes of glass.  While I'd enjoy the extra insulation and quiet I'm not sure it would be worth it. 

Good luck with your new toy! 

Glenn

Glenn Canavan 2010 Model 2350 with no slide out.
Bob Mahon
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 58
________
PurchDate: 6/2011
Model: 2552
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Tan/Gray/Cherry
ExtColor: Lower Slate Gray
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 04:08:36 pm »

I suggest you look at covers for both vents. They're not that expensive when considered in the whole and I believe you'll want the 2nd later.
As for the seat; is there a reason you can't have both?
I've done this with my other MHs after I bought them and liked the result (being up/down adjustable helps with that small step in the cabin).

Carry on, regardless..................
"In God we trust" to save our country and bring our troops safely home.
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 168
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 06:41:09 pm »

echo11, you said "I am going to get a cover on one of the fantastic fans ". by saying one of, are you saying you are getting a second fantastic fan in the bath? I did that and I am very happy I did.

I put a Maxxair ll over the fan in the hallway but did not over the bath fan. I did not like the way the cover looked that close to the edge of the MH. Make sure you use the Maxxair ll and not the old Maxxair. The old Maxxair only allows for you to run the fan on slow, else you put to much of a strain on the fan's motor. The guy at Fantastic fan told me that years ago. That is why they came out with the Maxxair ll, for the high powered fans.

As for the seat, I agree with the above post that the swivel is more important than the power controls. The best is if you can get both, but I was told it was one or the other when I ordered mine.

BTW, I ordered the slide because we have two large dogs and they need the floor space at night. We got the sofa with the air bed, which only comes with the slide. This gives us a second bed when needed. The weight of the slide was not of concern as I ordered my 2350 with the E450 upgrade, giving me an extra 2K pounds of payload.

Are you getting the short or long arms on the mirrors?

If you can, you should go by the factory and see how well these things are made. It is very interesting. I know you will enjoy your new toy when you get it.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 06:45:33 pm by TomHanlon » Logged

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
echo11

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010, 08:07:56 pm »

Thanks so much for all the suggestions.  To try to answer the above questions-

The 2350 comes with 2 fantastic fans one in the living area and one in the bathroom.  The air vent cover is made by Aeroflow, similar to the Maxxair brand.  It was suggested by Fretz RV in PA.  They are the East coast factory dealer for Phoenix.  (I live in MA.)  I am leaning towards having the vent cover in the main area.

As far as the passenger chair question, you can order the power seat, the swivel or neither.  My concern with the swivel seat is that it is right next to the barrel chair.  I don't know if it is necessary.  There will be only 2 of us.  Also, how hard is it to swivel?  When it is swiveled I guess you can't see the TV.  Also, if it is swiveled can the curtain be closed? 

For the power seat adjustments, are they the same as the manual adjustments?  How difficult are the manual controls to operate?

We are going with the insulated windows.  From past posts, it sounds like it is much warmer.  Also, since we have a very sound sensitive dog, the sound reduction aspect is important to us.

We are not changing the length of the mirror arms.  This is our first motorhome and we want to be able to "see" as much as we can.

Any other thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Echo11

ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 167
________
PurchDate: June 2007
ModelYear: 2007
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2010, 09:08:57 pm »

Hi All, I agree with just about everything, summing it up here.
- Fan cover only over center fan to maintain a nice outside appearance.  The 2350 is so small, only one would be needed anyway.  Leave that one open & running, and let the air be drawn in from the dash board area.  This way the rig stays locked down, rain free, and flow-thru ventilation.  I'd put one on ours but then the RV wouldn't clear the garage door.
- You know I love the thermal windows and no-slide dinette.
- Rear View Mirrors?  All I can say is I like the stock length we have.  It's nice to get a look behind the RV without using the rear camera.  It's great when changing lanes.  I don't like driving with the camera on anyway.
- For the 2350 with fixed dinette, I advise to request the surround sound subwoofer be installed in the front dinette bench.  If you say nothing, it goes under the rear corner bed consuming precious outdoor storage.  Placing it far forward also gets it away from the bed so one person watching TV will not disturb the other taking a nap.
- I highly recommend the dinette be leather, not cloth.  We have cloth and regret not getting the leather.  The cloth stretches when sliding in and out, distorting and wrinkling.  Leather (or simulated leather) would eliminate or at least minimize that.
- We have the passenger swivel seat and like it.  Admittedly, it's not easy to swing around, but well worth the effort when having day-guests.  Adult people sitting in both the barrel chair and the turned-around passenger seat, do not play footsie.  The curtian still works, but you have to draw the curtian with the backrest forward.  Once the curtain is drawn, then recline it with light contact to the curtain.  The only way to watch TV in the front passenger seat is fully reclined facing the front.  Swivelled facing rearward....no way.
If the passenger seat was powered, I think it would be a waste of money.  The manual seat adjuster works great.  The power seat would offer vertical adjustment, but won't be missed as the passenger has many optional positions not avaliable to the driver.  Examples are, feet crossed, legs crossed, one leg strateling the seat, etc.
- Get the undocumented dinette window awning.  We love it.  It's great on a rainy day.  You can open the window and be protected from the rain.  Also nice in the heat too.
- Confirm your main awning covers fully over the bedroom window for the same reasons.  In 2007, we ordered our extra wide to completely cover it.  Maybe today, they are all extra wide.  That awning is great to open just 9" on still rainy days so your windows on that side can be opened without getting wet.  We've done that in places where opening the awning fully would make a scene.  An example would be in a store parking lot.  I do wonder if the newer window style has less an issue with rain.  Do they now swing open from the bottom?
- About the TVs.  We got all the wiring and sound system, but no TVs to save money.  We bought our own and I installed both myself saving around $1500 and got bigger & better TVs at the time.  But I admit, TV selection & the front TV installation is very tricky.  You have to be up for the challenge.
- We got the full body paint and love it.  Washing the RV is so much easier than washing raw gel-coat fiberglass.  I learned that with our old RV we owned for 24 years.  After the first 5 years, the surface was very hard to wash, and it doesn't last either.  But the full body paint option is very expensive.  I am an all or nothing guy concerning paint.  If I wasn't getting full body, I'd seriously consider getting no paint work at all, getting only the standard graphic swirl decals.  But that is just me.
- I requested the ladder and roof rack NOT be installed, just put in pieces, inside the RV.  I don't regret doing that.  It's all in my basement for good.  I'd include them in the sale if I ever sold the RV.  I felt all the mounting holes in the rear wall and roof would be best avoided.  And I would never use them anyway for fear of damaging the rig from the stress.  Three years into it, and I don't miss them at all.  I use a regular ladder at home to wash the roof.
- About the roof antenna.  I wonder if we'd be better off without it.  With digital TV technology, finding TV stations is rediculous.  We use the TVs to watch movies we brought from home.  When in an RV park, we hook up to cable TV.  The roof top antenna is annoying to have, rattling and clanking on rougher roads.  And it is plainly ugly.   I suppose if we spent many weeks in one remote location without CATV, it could serve a purpose.  I don't know what to advise there.  Just give it some thought of your own.

??? This one is a big QUESTION MARK, but I feel worth mentioning.
I wonder if the barrel chair could be replaced with a matching 3rd captain chair.  The barrel chair area in the 2350 is ideal for a recliner of some sort.  The barrel's low back makes it uncomfortable to watch TV, which otherwise would be ideal.  I know the factory now installs very puffy front captain chairs, so maybe a 3rd one there would have a serious space problem.  But our smaller earlier style Lexus captain chairs we have might work more easily.  I say this because the barrel chair not only swivels, but it also adjusts by sliding away from the wall.  When adjusted far from the wall, when you pivot it, it swings around far out there in a huge arc.  Understand?  It's hard to describe.

Being that you are in MA, have you checked out East Acres RV there in Mendon, MA?  He has a nicely optioned demo 2007 2350 with full new vehicle warrantee coverage.  It's a demo because the dealer took it on a trip.  You might barter down close to $60k.  But...it does have a couch slide-out.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 01:37:01 am by ron.dittmer » Logged

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
echo11

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2010, 05:31:58 am »

Ron or anyone-
Would you be able to explain the pros and cons of the short vs. the long arms on the side mirrors.  I realize the width of the motorhome would be smaller.  How is visibility effected?

I am taking Ron's suggestions of ordering a splash shield for the battery and an upgraded water pump with flexible hose in and out of the pump.

I am trying to make sure I include everything I need/ want on this order!  I appreciate everyone's imput!
Echo11

TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2010, 08:45:51 am »

Hi Ron,

A couple of issues about your write up above. The standard electric awning already goes all the way to the rear, covering the bedroom window. On the 2011 motorhomes, the windows are crank out at the bottom not sliders like we have. Therefore the dinning room window awning is not needed for rain, just for the sun. My sub woofer is behind the outside cabinet wall, under the bed, next to the funerance. I had them put a on/off switch for when I want to nap and she wants to watch TV. I have never used it because she uses the TV speakers, not the suround sound. Ron, I am just trying to bring you up to date with some of the new changes we noticed at the Hershey show.

Hi Echo11,

When I ordered my 2350, the bathroom had one of the silly little fans, so I paid to have them install a second Fantastic fan there. By your comment it looks like they may now come standard. I would double check that.

As for the mirror arm issue, I guess I better explain the difference I see because I was the one who started this issue. When I got my 2350, it had the long arms on the mirrors. I was unconfortable with them sticking out and taking up the whole lane on the black roads. We like getting off the highways when we can and taking black roads. I was down sizing from a 35' class A Winniebago. So I wanted everything small and compact. I called the mirror manufacture (Ramco) and found out that they have two arms, a 9" and a 4 3/4". I went through Carol at Phoenix and purchased the mirrors with the short arms. I then did a write up here about reducing my overall width. Let me tell you, it did not make some of the folks at Phoenix very happy as a lot of people started asking about the short arms. My understanding is that the short arms are to be the standard in the future.
As for which works the best. The long arms do show behind you better than the short arms and you can see the cars behind you without the camera on. I always run with the camera on, so I can see what is directly behind me from 0 to 25 feet out. Between 25 to 50 feet, it is hard to see a car, so I look for the shadow or wait until a bend in the road to see them.  Beyond 50 feet I can normally see the car. Besides the car is behind me and what he does is his responablility. There have been several times that I was glad I had the short arms with on coming trucks and their large mirrors coming very close to my mirrors. Also when driving in the mountains on the National Park's narrow roads I ride the center line and I don't want my mirrors sticking into the on coming lane. So if you want to see the cars directly behind you without using the camera or looking for shadows, then go with the long arms. If you want the narrow width and you can drive with cars that like to ride from 25 to 50 feet behind you being some what hidden, go with the short arms.

Tom Hanlon
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2010, 10:47:07 am »

I am taking Ron's suggestions of ordering a splash shield for the battery and an upgraded water pump with flexible hose in and out of the pump.
 I am not sure Phoenix USA offers a battery shield like I had made.

About a pump with built-in flex lines....I have never seen them sold that way, but easy enough to add.  If the factory is not already doing it, request  they install a flex line on the pressure side of the pump to dampen plumbing vibration.  That makes a big improvement with noise.  Also, there are two types of pumps.  The old cheaper one cycles on and off all the time.  The newer more expensive design, the pump goes on when the water is running and stays on until until you turn off the water.  It seems a better choice, though I don't have first-hand experience with it.  I think it's worth the research.

Tom,
Thanks for all that clarification on the changes between model years.  I am stuck in the old days, older models.  I have not examined the newest models.  Much seems different.  Now I can stop covering things no longer applicable.

About the subwoofer location.  I could not picture in my mind where it is mounted on a new 2350.  Is your description on a different model?  My furnace is under the fridge.  Not under the bed.  Maybe this is another variation between model years.

As the years roll by, I have less and less input.  And that's good.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 03:17:39 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

echo11

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2010, 12:48:31 pm »

Ron,
I have asked for a battery shield like you had made and they will put one in for me.  Although, I'm not sure if The factory is doing it or if Fretzrv is taking care of that.  I am getting a better water pump with flexible hosing in and out of the unit.  I definitely am interested in noise reduction!  I will have to wait until Monday to get the exact model number for the Shurflow unit they are putting in.

Tom,
I really like the idea of the sub woofer turn off.  I will ask about getting that.

I am still on the fence about the short arm for the side mirrors.  I like the idea of less width.  I am confused by whether you just can't see cars directly in back of you or whether it impedes the vision in the lanes to the side of you.  I guess my concern would be the ability to safely change lanes.  Is it possible for you to give a little more info on that?

Also, I was not aware that the windows were changing for 2011.  Do you know of any other changes that will be made for 2011 in the 2350?

Thanks again for all your help!
Echo11
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2010, 03:34:54 pm »

Here are head-on & rear-on pictures of mine showing the standard extending mirrors.  I like them as is, certainly not longer, and I think not shorter either, but I'd have to experience them.  I can't say it's common for me to be concerned of hitting other vehicles with mine.  Once in a great great while, yes.

About the window design, here are a couple pictures directly off PC's website.  The percentage of opening is less pending which window, more restricting in letting in a breeze.  But it has built-in protection from rain.  It's a matter of personal preference.

echo11

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2010, 11:08:48 am »

Ron,
Thanks for the photos.  It really helps to see the mirrors in realtionship to the side of the rig.

Tom,
Any chance that you would have a photo of a front, straight on view to post?  It would be great to compare to Ron's.  Thanks!
Echo11
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2010, 01:16:33 pm »

Ron,
   On the 2350 with the slide like I have, they put the fresh water tank, water pump, sub woofer and the furance under the rear bed. Without the side they put the furance under the reefer or the tall closet, I don't remeber which I saw. I don't know where the sub woofer went without the slide. Sorry if I caused any confusion.
Tom

Tom Hanlon
rockrat

Helpful Rating: 2
________
PurchDate: April, 2010
IntColor: grey
ExtColor: umbra
________

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2010, 02:00:33 pm »

I have a 2010 2350 with slide out and passenger swivel chair. When you are parked at the campground ground and you have the swivel chair turn around, the sliding curtain will cut off the chair making it impossible to sit in it.

I went to Camping World and bought a ADCO Class C windshield Cover specifically for Ford 350/450 with mirror cut-outs. Not only does it provide more secure privacy, it also block out a good amount of the sunray making it a whole lot cooler inside . Since it is draped to the outside of the windshield, you can have the full use of the passenger swival chair. Also, when I have settled down at the campground and when there is company to the RV, I retrack the driver seat as close to the steering wheel, it makes the inside cabin a little more spacious as well.

Donald

2010 2350 with slideout
rockrat

Helpful Rating: 2
________
PurchDate: April, 2010
IntColor: grey
ExtColor: umbra
________

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2010, 02:13:18 pm »

By the way, I understand on some other brand and model RV, the Adco windshield cover is included as part of the package. I honestly believe the windshield cover is the best money I spend on the RV yet. I could feel the instant cooling once I put the Cover on, and I can use the passenger swivel chair at the same time.

Donald

2010 2350 with slideout
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print

Jump to: